Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Divinity: Original Sin and Dragon Commander with Swen Vincke

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Tags: Divinity: Original Sin; Dragon Commander; Larian Studios; Swen Vincke

E-famous Internet-person TotalBiscuit has an audio interview up with Swen Vincke from Larian Studios. They talk about both Divinity: Original Sin (first half) and Dragon Commander (second half). There's no video of the interview per se, but there is footage from both games. You might as well just open it in a tab and listen to the audio like a podcast or something. It runs for 28 minutes so crack open a cold one and relax.

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
Interesting how Swen hates the combat in divinity games so far, and how he's convinced fans of the series feel the same way. Of course he had to have a reason for switching to turn based for original sin, but I figured he would be reasonably happy with the real time systems he made for divine divinity and DKS. I figured that he likes some old turn based RPGs and wanted to do one of his own, but that he was also comfortable playing and making action RPGs.

In this interview he outright says that divinity's action systems aren't good, and that Divinity has fans in spite of the real time combat. That caught me off guard.

Tigranes

Arcane
DKS combat was kind of meh - Divinity was also rather mediocre, but happened to be more fun in practice than it should be. I haven't seen the video but I'd fully agree that the series carries the combat, not the other way round, or at best, the combat shines in conjunction with other design decisions.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Oh god don't fuck this up and make the combat complex - take inspiration from 5 foot steps interrupts, pinning, tripping, coup-de-grace. Make spells hard to find and mage-cannons late game, make positioning mean defeat or victory (pinning, attacks, sneak attacks easier from behind). Make simultaneous attacks (defending against 2+ opponents) harder to defend.
Make terrain have influence and AI taking advantage of it (including spells).

Pity the stances of JA2 are kinda useless without projectile weapons, but they'd be useful for bows and crossbows probably. Make buildings climbable (have a climbing/jumping animation that can be used in combat).

kaizoku

Arcane
Oh god don't fuck this up and make the combat complex - take inspiration from 5 foot steps interrupts, pinning, tripping, coup-de-grace. Make spells hard to find and mage-cannons late game, make positioning mean defeat or victory (pinning, attacks, sneak attacks easier from behind). Make simultaneous attacks (defending against 2+ opponents) harder to defend.
Make terrain have influence and AI taking advantage of it (including spells).

Pity the stances of JA2 are kinda useless without projectile weapons, but they'd be useful for bows and crossbows probably. Make buildings climbable (have a climbing/jumping animation that can be used in combat).

Has anyone asked him about the combat system?
Maybe a codex interview?
Alternatively I would say to ask him in his blog (some months ago, on a different subject I got a reply from him), but the last blog update was in June, so he's probably not spending time around it and will likely miss the question.

After watching the interview and the videos I got more interested in Dragon Commander than Original Sin.
Yeah, one could say the dragon jetpacks and the romantic alliances can be a bit cheesy... but it looks like it can end up being a very interesting strategy game.

mbpopolano24

Arbiter
I like almost ALL what Swen is saying. I am looking forward to this one; who knows, Divinity and Wasteland 2 could finally bring back GOOD TB games ('good' is the key word here for me, I don't give a damn about TB combat if the game is shit). I'll preorder this one for sure.

Good idea to invite Swen to talk to the Codex, although he should probably..... :decline:

Murk

Arcane
Gameplay looks great. Larian's yet to disappoint, and judging from the actual footage it doesn't seem like it will.

Dantus12

Educated
Everything sounds great so far , even the story sounds fun.
German PC Games has a lengthy review and compares it with the Fallouts, finally someone that doesn't mention Diablo:

In German:
http://www.pcgames.de/Divinity-Original-Sin-PC-244409/News/Divinity-Original-Sin-Vorschau-886794/

Google translate:
http://translate.google.com/transla...a=X&ei=rWz9T7mjNoL-9QTAhpXTBg&ved=0CFUQ7gEwAA
http://translate.google.com/transla...a=X&ei=rWz9T7mjNoL-9QTAhpXTBg&ved=0CFUQ7gEwAA

---------------------------------

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom