Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Divinity: Original Sin Beta Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Discussion in 'Larian Studios' started by Infinitron, Dec 17, 2013.

1. SuicideBunny (ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻

SuicideBunny
    Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
    well, i disagreed on the issue of the jumping idiot and nothing happened, so i was hoping they cut it out.

^ Top  
  2. Ulminati Kamelåså! Patron

Self-Ejected
    There's disagreeing for stats and then there's disagreeing on a course of action. Try it with the pearl oyster

^ Top  
  3. Kem0sabe Arcane

Kem0sabe
    Dialogue mini-game? I don't think that add's anything interesting to the game beyond another unnecessary layer of complexity.

RPG developers would do well to be reminded that more gameplay system does not equal a better game. In the case of Original Sin i would prefer they focus on "tidying" their actual dialogue script instead of spending time with this.

P.S I just remembered it was April 1st recently, is this a joke or real? with my new SSD i havent the space to install all my steam games yet (ESO is taking up most of it) and havent re-downloaded OS yet.

^ Top  
  4. hiver Guest

hiver
    ForkTong

Excellent trailer. Superb music. Love it and the rhythm it all achieves.

- not enough emphasis on co-op. Barely mentioned.
    Sure, its a short trailer and other specifics needed to be put forward more, for this minute or a bit more.

But, you really need to make another trailer that emphasizes what kind of co-op you made. Really. maybe not for beta... but REALLY.

^ Top  
  5. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    Haven't kept up with the development of this game, but if this minigame is for real it's pretty disappointing. Yet another attempt to get the players more involved which will only result in a boring and annoying activity you have to go through to get back to actually playing the game. Like all minigames are.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    The mini-game is clearly intended at co-op games. It honestly might be more fun than simply picking a choice each and letting the stats decide it... I'll try with my brother this weekend to see.

Or maybe not, since a lot of people seem to think that the game is co-op only...

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Ulminati Kamelåså! Patron

Self-Ejected
    Identification also seems to be broken. I have a spear that says it requires level 1 loremaster and an identifying glass. I use the identifying glass on the spear, get the "<Charname> is attempting to identify [Unidentified spear]" line in the combat log and a progress bar. But the spear is never identified.

^ Top  
  8. Stabbey Learned

Stabbey
    That might be nice in co-op, but right now I'm not really feeling the rock-paper-scissors system is an improvement in single-player. You can't seem to "choose your weapon", the game plays itself - not that I can see what being able to pick what you want to use in single-player would do against an AI because it's rock-paper-scissors.

It's not broken for everyone, I was able to identify a thing successfully.

^ Top  
  9. Ulminati Kamelåså! Patron

Self-Ejected
    I've tried to identify 4 things so far. I get the progress bar but no success/failure message and the thing is not identified. Merchants cna identify it just fine though

^ Top  
  10. Gord Arcane

Gord
    Just played the beta a few minutes today.
    Nice improvements over the alpha, tutorial dungeon looks cool.
    Will try to play some coop with a friend this weekend, if we find some time.

^ Top  
  11. hiver Guest

hiver
    Why the hell not? It is one of the main features and a very unique one. Its not just an afterthought.

And i didnt mean or say they should market it as co-op only. Both types of gameplay are big features and both should be represented.

^ Top  
  12. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
  13. garren Arcane Patron

garren
    A few things I feel like mentioning that still aren't fixed since the game went to beta.

This part of the UI:
    [​IMG]

Can't the abilities, talents and traits have their own window? You have 4 tabs in such a tiny area, I'd like to see a bigger screen of all that stuff. Keep the equipment screen where it is.

Also, I noticed you can't read books that lie on a table somewhere without stealing them. Is there any way to read them without stealing?

Also, the fluctuating dialogue responses are annoying, depending how long the text is when you talk to someone. Funnily enough this never bothered me in Baldur's Gate, so dunno lol. Example:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dunno why, but it feels kinda frustrating that the numbered responses jump up and down constantly without being set in place.

Fallout had its own boxes for dialogue and responses. To compare:
    [​IMG]

And for fairness, here's baldur's gate:
    [​IMG]

Maybe it's because the window in BG seems to have more space for text overall, so it isn't so jarring.

^ Top  
  14. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. Arkeus Arcane

Arkeus
    It's beta time!

This is going to be a very short Kickstarter update because we want you all to try the beta and not spend time reading or watching movies ;)

The beta is live!
    First of all: as promised the beta is now Steam Early Access. Grab your keys from the Larian Vault, and go try it out. The game isn’t finished yet; we still have a lot of balancing, bugfixing and tweaking on our plate, but it’s a big step up from the alpha and there’s plenty of new stuff for you to discover.

As per usual, we’re eager to hear your feedback and our excel sheets are at the ready to tweak and balance the millions of stats that define your RPG experience behind the scenes.

If you’re curious what’s in the beta and don’t have the time to discover them all on your own, there are over 400 improvements and a host of new features:

• 28 exciting new talents, including fun things like the Lone Wolf perk, which gives an avatar super abilities, but makes it impossible for him or her to hire a companion(s)
    • More than 60 new skills, allowing for a new brand of synergies, such as combining Invisibility with Pickpocketing
    • A new Witchcraft skilltree that can be combined with other skills to deadly effect • New areas to explore, new foes to fight, new items to find & new secrets to discover
    • A brand new character creation screen with new presets such as Shadowblade and Wayfarer, and an enormous amount of customisation options.
    • More environmental interactions – you can smash or burn doors, pickpocket characters & use staffs to electrify pools of water. Or how about burning wooden chests to get the loot inside?
    • Improved AI, user interface, graphics, loading times, performance and stability mean playing Divinity: Original Sin has never been this smooth
    • A truckload of new sound effects & music tracks
    If you want to see the full report, go and have a look at the changelist.

Share the new trailer!
    Thomas, our resident video guru, managed to capture plenty of gameplay in a mere minute and a half of video. We think it will touch the soul of lots of RPG lovers out there.

Now we need to spread it, and that’s something you can help us with. We’re sure there’s plenty of people out there who want to play Divinity: Original Sin but who don’t know about the game yet. Let them know!

Can’t play the beta but want to see what’s new and the trailer is too short?

Then you may want to check out the Twitch session David & Swen did. They spent a few hours answering questions and showing off features in the beta last Monday.

A transcript of the answers they gave is available here. (Thanks for that, Stabbey!)

What’s coming?
    Now that we’re in beta, you may be wondering what’s coming. In this video message Swen explains what type of development work we’ll still be doing between now and release (a lot!)

Shout out!
    Dragon Fin Soup is already funded but has a sheep pet quest as a stretch goal. Honestly, we can’t understand how they didn’t blast through that goal already! Weresheep unite!

^ Top  
  16. bonescraper Guest

bonescraper
    I'd love a ToEE selection wheel. Kinda sucks i have to use keyboard shortcuts for stuff like sneaking, breaking stuff etc. Don't get me wrong, keyboard shortcuts are needed, but i like to be able to play my RPGs with my mouse only. They definitely should get rid of that bottom skill bar, that shit belongs to MMOs not :obviously: RPGs.

[​IMG]

:love:

Larian, pls.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. MicoSelva Prestigious Gentleman The House Always Wins Patron

MicoSelva
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Suddenly I'm reminded of a couple of scenes in Dragonball Z.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  18. anus_pounder Arcane

anus_pounder
    The Music. So good. :bounce:

^ Top  
  19. Jedi Exile Arcanum Patron

Jedi Exile
    Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    The game looks really gorgeous now.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Mangoose Arcane Patron

Mangoose
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
    Lol, I assigned my TOEE wheel to hotkeys because I couldn't be assed to navigate the wheel every time I wanted to do something repetitive like a 5 foot step.

^ Top  
  21. hiver Guest

hiver
    How heavy is the update?

^ Top  
  22. Surf Solar cannot into womynz

Surf Solar
    1.8gb

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. hiver Guest

hiver
    ok, thats manageable... ill just leave it updating through the night. tnx Surf.

^ Top  
  24. Raze Larian Studios Developer

Raze
    There is a sneak button under the character portrait on the left of the bottom UI bar.

^ Top  
  25. Tribal Sarah Arbiter

Tribal Sarah
    i like the new opening scenes and im glad they got rid of tht stupid crab fight

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.