Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity: Original Sin Beta Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Thanks!

Unwanted

Contrite

Andhaira
Andhaira
So I played the D:OS beta for a couple of hours. There has been a massive overhaul since the alpha.The game now plays like the dream we all had when we saw the first screenshot of this years ago, and dared to hope of a true turn based RPG

First things first, the game now looks gorgeous. Just like the screenshots. The alpha had chunkier graphics, and the graphical interfaces were subpar. All that is gone and vastly improved. Also, now it is possible to change the gender of both your starting PCs, so you can have 2 females if you want. An obvious shout out to the LGBTQ crowd. :troll:

Talents have been added, and some have been removed. The Sourcehunter ability is gone, replaced by the Witchcraft ability. Sourcehunter now is simply a title. In game NPC 'Sourcerers' (you will learn to hate this word) likely use it for their dark magic but not NPCs.

Starting classes have been expanded upon. However, this is where we come across the first main problem: As of now, we cannot select starting skills (skills here means special abilities like spells, super attacks and other things). This kind of sucks, because it limits the kind of character you can start out as. I wanted a Paladin for my male main character, but both the Knight and the Cleric had a combination of starting skills that would have been fitting for a pally. Since I could not select my skills, I chose a Cleric and respecced his abilities and talents a bit. It's still annoying though. Skills however, which include spells, can be bought in game via vendors. They come in the form of skill books, as in Divine Divinity.

This leads us to another problem: Warrior Born skills like Divine Light can be used by anyone, even though they fit Paladin and Cleric type of characters. Since all fighter types will have points in the Warrior Born ability, any of them could purchase the skill book and use it. This sucks from the role playing pov. I mean sure, if you larp a pure fighter you could simply not purchase the requisite skill book, but if you wanted to you could easily do it. And since it's a very useful area/cone attack, I don't see many players not purchasing it. If Larian are reading this, I would suggest splitting Holy types of abilities into their own ability set.

Environmental spells and their combinations such as drawing oil from the ground then setting fire to it then using the Rain spell to extinguish the fire are a lot of fun and add much needed strategy to fights. In a refreshing break from other classic RPGs there are no Mana points. All skills (special abilities) can be used at will, the only limiting factor is cooldown time, but these can be decreased greatly by pumping points into the skills requisite ability. Such as the Witchcraft skill for Witchcraft spells/skills. Increasing the linked attribute governing these skills can further decrease the cooldown time as well as the Action Point requirements needed to use the ability. This can result in a higher level character using powerful abilities multiple times in a single encounter.

Some other things:

Money is going to be a very important factor in this game, at least in the beginning. There is a lot of stuff I want to purchase from vendors, such as items and skill books, but I am short on money.

They added a beginning dungeon into the game and it was very flavorful even though it was short on encounters.

Poison is deadly in this game, as are traps.

Summons are too weak. They need a hitpoint boost.

Some talents don't work properly. The lone wolf talent states the character who purchases it cannot hire companions, but I got the talent for my Witch, and later on she easily hired the mage companion you find in the Mayor's library. IMO this talent needs to be seriously reworked or removed entirely. I would suggest to Larian that this talent gives bonuses only when the party splits up.

Abilities are not defined well. I have no idea what the Leadership ability does for instance.

Starting PCs should have more ability points so we can make the characters we want. Leveling abilities up is expensive anyway, so this will not affect the game balance much. Speaking of leveling, increasing abilities is really expensive. This should be balanced more.

Lastly, does anyone have any idea of the maximum level players can attain in this game? I hope it is a maximum of 30 at most. I would prefer 20 though, with leveling being slow but more points being granted at level up. We should certainly not be able to max out lots of abilities as this will affect re-playability.

Another important points: The current selection of Talents is far too few. Not in the number of Talents, but their effect. Most are extremely limited and nearly worthless. Either they need to be reworked, or the number of talents need to be increased by a large amount to allow for different types of characters. We also need more talents like the one that allows a character to speak to animals (my witch has this, but haven't been able to try it out yet)

Gord

Arcane
I feel the current presentation of the story is a bit clunky.
After you meet ZixZax it's a huge info-dump that is - at that point - seemingly not related much to the issues at hand (murder, undead plague in Cyseal, etc.).
Of course it's to be expected that all will turn out to be connected somehow, but I'd rather have them revealing the story more slowly over time.

Also, what's the purpose of an imp historian appointed by the gods to record history, when you've got the weaver weaving history into a giant tapestry at the same time? Seems a bit redundant to me.

hiver

How about letting them know on their forums too. Gord ?

Ive managed to update but havent yet started it. If thats so i think i will be having the same thoughts about it.
but, ive barely started the alpha so... long way to go for me.

Gord

Arcane
Yeah, might do this, but first I'll try to play some coop with a friend later tonight.
They have just vastly reworked much of the ZixZax story-exposition parts anyway, not sure if that's even close to final.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So anyone else stuck at Shelter Plane or have I reached the limits of my intellect again?

Gord

Arcane
When you meet ZixZax for the first time? Use the new button at the right (it's the rune you received), it will open a quick-travel menu.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I'm asking because i played Divine Divinity and have Divinity 2 in my library (from some bundle or such) and was wondering if i should play it.

I enjoyed Divinity 2. It's very flawed but it has a lot to offer. I never played the expansion content which is supposed to be the best part of the game, I think? Anyway it's worth trying.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
When you meet ZixZax for the first time? Use the new button at the right (it's the rune you received), it will open a quick-travel menu.
And there was I, looking for a rune in the inventory.

Gord

Arcane
It's not the most elegant solution so far, but I guess that's to be expected from a beta.

Zeriel

Arcane
I'm asking because i played Divine Divinity and have Divinity 2 in my library (from some bundle or such) and was wondering if i should play it.

I enjoyed Divinity 2. It's very flawed but it has a lot to offer. I never played the expansion content which is supposed to be the best part of the game, I think? Anyway it's worth trying.

Expansion content is worth playing for sure. It's not huge on it's own, but once added to the original game it really plumps the whole experience out into something as large as, say, Baldur's Gate.

garren

Arcane
Patron
Yo, Larian! I discovered what bugged me about the dialogue UI. It needs a dedicated 'continue' button whenever a character has many lines of dialogue and you need to click 'continue' in the dialogue. The constantly fluctuating continue selection is annoying, with a dedicated button at the bottom you don't need to move the mouse all the time whenever you click continue. If you use a keyboard, you can keep using '1' I guess. I truly believe this would be an improvement over the current implementation. Examples:
DCRvf4Y.jpg

XggNzT3.jpg

Here's what Baldur's gate looks like normally and with the continue button:
10550-baldur-s-gate-ii-shadows-of-amn-windows-screenshot-the-message.jpg

BGMain%2B2010-09-10%2B21-12-01-08.jpg

So, just have a big button appear at the bottom whenever you need to click continue. ForkTong Raze

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Yo, Larian! I discovered what bugged me about the dialogue UI. It needs a dedicated 'continue' button whenever a character has many lines of dialogue and you need to click 'continue' in the dialogue. The constantly fluctuating continue selection is annoying, with a dedicated button at the bottom you don't need to move the mouse all the time whenever you click continue. If you use a keyboard, you can keep using '1' I guess. I truly believe this would be an improvement over the current implementation. Examples:
DCRvf4Y.jpg

XggNzT3.jpg

Here's what Baldur's gate looks like normally and with the continue button:
10550-baldur-s-gate-ii-shadows-of-amn-windows-screenshot-the-message.jpg

BGMain%2B2010-09-10%2B21-12-01-08.jpg

So, just have a big button appear at the bottom whenever you need to click continue. ForkTong Raze
Also summoning lar_q.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Yo, Larian! I discovered what bugged me about the dialogue UI. It needs a dedicated 'continue' button whenever a character has many lines of dialogue and you need to click 'continue' in the dialogue.
there is a dedicated "continue" button and its in a fixed place unless you move your keyboard....

bonescraper

Ok, the lack of a RMB context menu really bugs me. I'd like to be able to right click a treasure chest (or door or whatever) and choose a corresponding option from the context menu, you know - look for traps, disarm, break, pick lock, that sort of thing. It should also work on NPCS - talk, attack, pickpocket etc.

In the tutorial dungeon there are 2 skeletons standing in a pool of flamable oil, and there are candles nearby. Well, i should be able to throw a candle to ignite the oil. Seems pretty obvious. Instead, there's a fireball scroll lying on the ground... really?

And a minor issue, but kind of annoying. The tutorial dungeon leads east but somehow i exit it far to the west. That sort of shit breaks my immershun ;(

Also, my rogue can't dual wield daggers. I am disappoint. Seems like rogues are supposed to use bows, bah. Ranged combat is for fags.

Conclusion - game is shit. Would not play again.

:troll:

EDIT:
Are daggers dexterity based or strength based?

Last edited by a moderator:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Why you want dual wield in turn-based man.
And couldn't you throw candles on oil? It doesn't ignite that way?

bonescraper

Why you want dual wield in turn-based man.
Wat? I want to dual wield to compensate for lower damage. Daggers don't hit as hard as other melee weapons, obviously.

And couldn't you throw candles on oil? It doesn't ignite that way?
No, it doesn't. That's the first thing i did, i sneaked up on them and threw a candle in the pool. Didn't even notice the fireball scroll at first.

And looks like all melee weapons are strength based while all ranged weapons are dexterity based. That sucks major ass. Really kills my idea for a rogue character. At least they should add a talent akin to D&D's Weapon Finesse feat. It wouldn't require any serious reballancing this way, but it would add a lot to build flexibility.

Larian, pls. PLS!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom