Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Divinity: Original Sin Beta Update and Source Hunter DLC Pack

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Divinity: Original Sin; Larian Studios

Here's some Divinity: Original Sin news from last week that I didn't post about. First of all, the beta received an additional update. Here's an overview of what it does:
  • AI Personalities are here. If you feel up to the challenge, you can give your main protagonists a will of their own, and they'll make their own choices, just like another player would in multiplayer. Currently only random personalities are activated, but it makes for a very different game. Do try it out, it's a lot of fun.
  • Primary stats now affect your skill values. This is the next step in the changes we decided to do to improve the amount of class free builds you can make. The tooltips contain all you need to know.
  • The system powering the treasure generation has been refined. Loot balancing has been further improved. Disarm trap kits for instance now actually drop.
  • We did several modifications to the tutorial dungeon, including a new encounter.
  • Surfaces & clouds now have their own level
  • The hint system is now operational
  • The credits screen now works
  • You can now differentiate between stacking items or wanting to craft quantities of items
  • Weapons that do elemental damage now have fancy fx
  • We added rotate buttons to character creation screen
  • Surfaces have sound now
  • You can now select your starting skills during character creation (still a few issues)
  • Projectiles have an offset above the ground causing less terrain/projectile interference
  • We added the Stabbey waypoint in Cyseal
  • A lot of effort was done on improving the tooltips (ongoing)
  • There have been plenty of fixes to the encounters, the AI and the balancing
Second, Larian have released a "Source Hunter DLC Pack" for the game. Well, sort of - it's listed as an Early Access title, but it's actually a pre-order that will only activate when the game is released. Here's what it contains:

This DLC pack contains Divinity Original Sin Design Documents, a Divinity Original Sin Art Pack, the Divinity Original Sin Soundtrack, an in-game item called The Golden Grail (which can turn items into gold) and an in-game item "Zandalor's Trunks", magical underwear that comments on whatever is going on.
It's one of those "upgrade your game to the Collector's Edition"-type DLCs that are common these days. Zandalor's Trunks were available to all Divinity: Original Sin Kickstarter backers, the Soundtrack came with the $35 and up tiers, the Design Documents with the $50 and up tiers, and the Art Pack is probably the "Artbook" from the $100 tier. Finally, the Golden Grail DLC was a unique perk for those who bought the Divinity Anthology back in 2012. You can get all of these for 10 bucks.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Normally I'm against this nickel and dime DLC bullshit but fuck 'em! I'm one of the glorious $100+ Codex contributors that helped get the game made in the first place, so let the unwashed pay an extra $10 for some wallpapers!

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think Larian should include all these preorder bonuses for people who supported D:OS Kickstarter at a tier of $40 bucks or more. KS pledge is the ultimate preorder, so why should backers get less than people who only buy the game now?

It does not affect me, I bought Divinity Anthology and am getting the rest of the preorder pack in my KS tier anyway.

Athelas

Arcane
It's funny how this kind of DLC typically consists of some overpowered equipment and Larian's version of that is something that literally turns your items into gold. :P

Normally I'm against this nickel and dime DLC bullshit but fuck 'em! I'm one of the glorious $100+ Codex contributors that helped get the game made in the first place, so let the unwashed pay an extra $10 for some wallpapers!
Principles, you don't have them.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Playing the beta has been pretty cool. Haven't made it very far into the game, but I like it. The turn-based combat is its strong point. The earth/fire magic combo is almost too powerful when creating oil patches and then lighting them on fire, especially if you have a summoner or a tank to back him up, but things change once you run into enemies that are immune to fire. Haven't tried the new personalities system yet, but I like the idea a lot.

nil

Cipher
So, is this gonna be buggy as hell on release? Looking at that list makes me very worried, but I haven't been keeping a close eye on the game, so I don't know what to expect.

deuxhero

Arcane
It's funny how this kind of DLC typically consists of some overpowered equipment and Larian's version of that is something that literally turns your items into gold. :P

Wonder if they'll make it so using it reduce the value of GP by some large amount.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
So, is this gonna be buggy as hell on release? Looking at that list makes me very worried, but I haven't been keeping a close eye on the game, so I don't know what to expect.
Vincke claimed this will be their most polished release to date.
http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=496082#Post496082
In Divinity:Original Sin's case, we are now at the stage where we are solving a truckload of minor bugs, far more than we've ever done. That alone already makes it much more polished than anything we've ever done. In this past we shipped with several major bugs still in there and that won't be the case here.

The source of bugs we are still dealing with are typically either scripting errors or systemic errors. 80% of all bugs are systemic and a surprising low amount of them are scripting or dialog flag specific, even if they are visible. Solve them once and you've solved them anywhere.
Though something to keep in mind: there will be physical copies available to purchase on June 20, meaning they've very likely already made their gold master before the last beta update (or maybe shortly after, I dunno). So that and any future improvements they'll be making from now until release will be in a big day one patch.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
hm, considering i can buy the dlc, i think larian might have fucked up back when they said the alpha would not become the full version upon release and people would get separate keys when it's out...

jdinatale

Cipher
And I thought on disc DLC was bad. At least the game was already released.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Could be worse; each item could be a micro transaction.

I'll never forget fucking Dragon Age when I went to do a quest and it asked me to pay money. Never bought a Bioware game again and never will. Greedy jews

I quit at that very spot where it asked me to pay to get backstory on a party member. I was so offended by that horseshit.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
? That wasn't a party member.

I don't remember the name of the NPC other than to say that we were to travel to his homeland or something.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom