Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Divinity: Original Sin Kickstarter Campaign Begins + Hands-on Preview at RPGWatch

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Divinity: Original Sin; Kickstarter; Larian Studios

Larian Studios have just launched a Kickstarter campaign for their classic-style single player/co-op RPG Divinity: Original Sin. The funding goal is set at $400,000, with $25 getting you a digital copy of the game:
  • Divinity: Original Sin is an Isometric cRPG.
  • You can play in single player mode but also in cooperative multiplayer mode
  • It's a real epic CRPG so even in multiplayer, you're engaging in much more than just combat and item fever. A nifty cooperative dialog system, a highly reactive world, a deep character development system and plenty of choice and consequence situations see to that.
  • You can create your own RPG adventures with our powerful RPG editor and share or play them with friends
  • Combat is very tactical. It is turn-based and features things like skill and spell combos, attacks of opportunity, action points and much more.
  • Exploration is greatly rewarded.
  • You can develop your character(s) to fit your playstyle using our classless skill and stats system.
  • There are countless item interactions and item combinations waiting to be discovered.
  • No Divinity game is complete without music composed by the brilliant Kirill Pokrovsky.
In related news, RPGWatch's Myrthos recently got the chance to play Divinity: Original Sin and now shares his thoughts. Here's an excerpt:

Single player versus multiplayer

We already know that the game has two protagonists and as explained in the previous article, you can hire two mercenaries allowing a total of four players to play the game simultaneously. However the focus is on the two heroes, so all conversations and interactions are limited to these two. Also the two mercenaries do not have a story of their own. At the moment their only purpose is to provide aid in combat.

I've seen the game in action in multiplayer mode, but I was wondering how this would play in single player mode. To test this I got the opportunity to play the game by myself and the short answer is that it plays like one would expect from a game with a party of two and turn-based combat. Playing solo never felt like something that was added on top of the multiplayer game. The game is controlled with a mouse and has short-cut keys for the various panels, such as inventory, character and skills panels. Selecting the icon of the other protagonist lets you control that person instead. In my solo game-play I did not notice any game elements that were not as I would have expected them to be.

My solo gameplay was automatically changed into a multiplayer game when the second player connected to my game and control of the second character was handed to that player. It also changed back into a single player game when that second player left again.

Divinity: Original Sin uses a dialogue system in which the two protagonists can disagree with each other on the actions to take. Secondary stats like intimidation and charming are used to determine who will win such a discussion. The results of the choices made does have an influence on the relation between the two protagonists, making it possible to develop them into haters, lovers or anything in between, which will have its influence in the game.​

Unfortunately, the preview does not elaborate on what kind of influence that is, exactly. Luckily we have Gragt, who also visited Larian recently and will surely tell us more about the chemistry between the two protagonists in his own upcoming preview. *wink wink*

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Damn, I'm really looking forward to this one.

I recently bought Divinity Collector's Edition. It was worth it for the included Developer's Diary alone. Some really cool stuff there.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Unfortunately, the preview does not elaborate on what kind of influence that is, exactly. Luckily we have Gragt, who also visited Larian recently and will surely tell us more about the chemistry between the two protagonists in his own upcoming preview. *wink wink*

Working on it as we speak, milady. If only I could quit my job for a week, everything would be peachy!

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Swen Vincke ‏@LarAtLarian1m
Spread the word-Divinity:Original Sin hits #Kickstarter so we can make this game the best RPG we've ever made - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin …

The next RPG in the award-winning Divinity series featuring classic turn-based combat,cooperative multiplayer and a unique RPG editor.​

"Picture a modern version of a world not unlike that of Ultima VII, that can be explored either alone or with a friend, that sees you engage adversaries in tactical turn-based combat reminiscent of the great turn-based RPGs of the past. A world that is filled to the brim with choice and consequence situations, reactive NPCs, and a considerable amount of surprises. A world that captures the feeling of playing pen and paper RPGs with our friends. Then add the new stuff..." - Vision statement for Divinity: Original Sin

When making large-scale epic RPGs it often helps to summarise what you are trying to make in a couple of lines, just to ensure you don't lose focus during development. You can spend a lot of time trying to come up with these vision statements, but when we started making Divinity: Original Sin, it didn't take us long to come up with the one above. It's simply what we've always wanted to do. The only reason we haven't made this game before was that the following list never made it past the marketing departments of many a known publisher.

• Divinity:Original Sin is an Isometric cRPG.
  • You can play in single player mode but also in cooperative multiplayer mode
  • It's a real epic CRPG so even in multiplayer, you're engaging in much more than just combat and item fever. A nifty cooperative dialog system, a highly reactive world, a deep character development system and plenty of choice and consequence situations see to that.
  • You can create your own RPG adventures with our powerful RPG editor and share or play them with friends
  • Combat is very tactical. It is turn-based and features things like skill and spell combos, attacks of opportunity, action points and much more.
  • Exploration is greatly rewarded.
  • You can develop your character(s) to fit your playstyle using our classless skill and stats system.
  • There are countless item interactions and item combinations waiting to be discovered.
  • No Divinity game is complete without music composed by the brilliant Kirill Pokrovsky.

:takemymoney:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Kickstarter after all? Ok, Swen. I'm broke, but I probably don't need to eat as much. Make us this game!

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Oh fuck. I'm about to pour 250 on torment already and now this...

Time to return some empty bottles for recycling...

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
All these kickstarters of good games are actually making me spend money on games again, after all these years of pirating.

It's probably because I haven't been as excited about new games since the early 00's. :love:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I like their take on using unlock codes for stuff contributed by the backers. That way I won't have to stumble upon some retard's oh so witty and imaginative contribution.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
I thought this game was close to being finished? Too bad I couldn't accompany Gragt to Larian :(

catfood

AGAIN
This is going sloooooooow. Might be the time though.
Honestly this came right out of nowhere. I for one knew that they wanted to use Kickstarter, but had no idea when exactly it was going to take place. They really need get the word out there, ASAP. Compare it to Project Eternity's and Torment's campaigns, which were announced weeks before they even started. This is bad planning. Hope it doesn't bit them in the ass. The game was gonna get released anyway, but having more stuff to do in it is never a bad thing.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They should clarify that this is more of a pre-order method than a fundraising campaign. Like the Chivalry: Medieval Warfare Kickstarter.

Screenshots are gorgeous. I've been looking forward to this a lot, and hopefully this will help put the game over the top.

:greatjob:

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Fuck this shit. At least i'm used to eating pasta and potato after all these kickstarters. They REALLY didn't pick a good time to do this, but whatever. I am a Larian fanboy and wanted to get Dragon Commander anyway, so i picked the option to get both Original Sin and Dragon Commander.

Hobz

Savant
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Maybe they should have hyped it more before kickstarting. The video is great though and it's the first "big kickstarter rpg" with a lot of content to show.

They'll definitely have what's left of my jewgold.

:takemymoney:

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Fuck. Apparently eating is for the week. I am going to be so fucking broke. :/

We are going to eat for a week?

Kidding aside, they could have picked a better time for this KS, most of the RPG players are a bit dry after Torment. Also there is Ultima(LOl) which got lot of funding too.
Lots of gamers already eating dirt :/

Edit: They are not asking much though, probably they ll get the funds but I dont think this KS can pass over 1 million.

Edit part 2: It has editor ?! OOOHHHH Shiny :eek:

catfood

AGAIN
Fuck. Apparently eating is for the week. I am going to be so fucking broke. :/

We are going to eat for a week?

Kidding aside, they could have picked a better time for this KS, most of the RPG players are a bit dry after Torment. Also there is Ultima(LOl) which got lot of funding too.
Lots of gamers already eating dirt :/

Edit: They are not asking much though, probably they ll get the funds but I dont think this KS can pass over 1 million.
It would be epic if everyone who donated to Garriott's piece of shit would cancel their pledges and donate to this instead. This is the real Ultima successor, not that free2suck crap.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
This is going sloooooooow. Might be the time though.
I backed immediately (haven't even watched the video), but I have to say the timing of this is kinda awful. Torment is still ongoing, the gaming press is all engaged on PAX and GDC and there doesn't seem to have been much of a media campaign leading into this. So maybe don't expect a roaring start, but hopefully it'll do well ongoing. Not wanting to be a negative nancy or anything, the pitch looks awesome and it's more of a preorder mechanism than a fundraising drive that I can see, but timing could've been better.

Needs Fargo's social media endorsement through Twatter.
He already tweeted about it.

Tigranes

Arcane
They needed to do more pre-KS hype, & start it when Torment / Shroud is just finished, though Wednesday morning (PST) / noon (EST) / afternoon (Europe) is not a bad time to start. I think 400k is achievable for them, and they were never going to raise inXile/Obsidian $s anyway, I think.

Hope it goes well, put in my $25 for now though the co-op stuff is a risky venture and I still don't know how well it will turn out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom