Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Divinity: Original Sin Kickstarter Update #4: Singleplayer Video, Story Feature, New Rewards

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Divinity: Original Sin; Larian Studios

New Divinity: Original Sin update is up, and its main feature is a 6-minute video showing off the singleplayer gameplay. Have a look:

Apart from that, the update also contains information about two new tiers as well as new updates to existing tiers (including pants for everyone!), plus a "story feature" - namely, "an excerpt from the diary of Zandalor the Wizard [...], written in the year of the Divines 945."

Read it in full here.

RedScum

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Looks good, will probably pledge later on :greatjob:

EDIT: Alright, went for the 40$ tier for a copy for me and a friend. Yes, some people on the codex have those.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Swen looks like he's freezing his ass off in the first bit of the video. Either that or he really needed to take a leak.

Looks cool, glad I pledged for this. I wish the update would have gone on for that fight with orcs and humans though. "Massive" free for all could be nice to see.

Black

Arcane
At first I was worried with how "slow" this thing has been going, but I think kickstarte might've just spoilt some of us. Compared to Torment, which got gorillions of gold bars in one day it does seem to go slowly, but it still has 20+ days and only 130k to get funded.

Murk

Arcane
To be perfectly honest, the amount of additional funds, time, and resources in general that stretch goals give would (obviously, in my opinion) be better off in Larian's hands than in Obsidian's. I fear Original Sin will not hit past the 500k mark and so the game will not be all it could have been. However, if it is successful I do hope that the normal sales really help it power through and keep Larian on this track.

I'll be really upset if things don't work out. As upset as when Troika went poof =(

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
bikini armour & high heels. glorious
she looks like the dungeon siege chick
250px-DungeonSiegeBoxArt.jpg

edit: actually it's only the red hair. oh well.
but, yeah, improved with bikini armor and high heels. both big + in my book.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Gawd, that story was so fucking boring. I tuned out and just started skimming once I got to the letter. More proof that Rhianna Pratchett's script doctoring was the thing that salvaged Divinity 2.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Gawd, that story was so fucking boring. I tuned out and just started skimming once I got to the letter. More proof that Rhianna Pratchett's script doctoring was the thing that salvaged Divinity 2.
Divinity 2 was salvaged? Wut? By its story? Only a retard would call that Sewage salvaged.
I thought some parts were funny.
jPwC6DQ.jpg

godsend1989

Scholar
Divinity: Original Sin
How can Torment/PE swim in a pool of cash with one fucking picture and this barely gets founded with gameplay videos and shit ? where is justice ? :rpgcodex:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
How can Torment/PE swim in a pool of cash with one fucking picture and this barely gets founded with gameplay videos and shit ? where is justice ? :rpgcodex:

a) People aren't interested in the concept, especially since it's so clearly defined so they know exactly what they're getting/not getting rather than filling in the blanks in their heads
b) People aren't interested in some non-gaming-celebrity-personality Belgium nobodies

FeelTheRads

Arcane

Game will be released whether they get the Kickstarter money or not. I guess this could be a reason that makes people not care that much?
That leaving aside poor press coverage and that they don't have the name recognition, which I think is the most terrible thing about Kickstarter in general.. but there you go.

Kem0sabe

Arcane

People backing projects on Kickstarter want to feel like they will have an input in how the project will develop from the very beginning. Larian on the other hand, are not looking for input per say, their vision of what this should be and will be is very much defined already, they just want more money to finish it as they envisioned it.

As someone has already said, it's coming out regardless of Kickstarter. So this lack of community interaction is probably one of the reasons (i imagine).

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Probably should have written it differently, it's not that they don't interact with the community, they do and they have a cool self depreciating way to go about it... i meant it as the community itself is not essential to how the game will develop as the majority of their game systems are already in place and community input will not factor hugely on how the game will end up playing.

Best example i can come with is Wasteland 2, remember when a lot of the fans started bitching about the keyword system and proposing alternatives, Inxile went along and changed the system to included fully phrased sentences for each keyword, that's the kind of interaction i was referring to.

Their approach was different to what we are used to in these latest kickstarted crpg projects, not bad or worse, just diferent, and if that means they can self publish the game with the creative freedom they want, then more power to them.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Not sure, what the "new" video is supposed to show.
I mean the game looks very good and i am aiming at 40$ - but they should fucking get their shit together and show an example quest or something. Equiping shovels and brooms is not what i like in an RPG.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Not sure, what the "new" video is supposed to show.
I mean the game looks very good and i am aiming at 40$ - but they should fucking get their shit together and show an example quest or something. Equiping shovels and brooms is not what i like in an RPG.
More than you know about Torment/PE/W2 when you funded them.
They were clear about the mechanics though, i knew what to expect from the gameplay in general. Divinity though is supposed to be the dream RPG or nordic guys, but aside from shooting fireballs and fighting with shovels they cannot show anything. FAQ just says there gonna be pickpoket / sneak and so on.
For me - RPG:skills->interaction. I want to see that. It is also a difference between playing good coop-game for fun and a great RPG.
What i mean is that the game looks awesome, but i fail to see any real RPG values so far.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom