Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Divinity: Original Sin Kickstarter Update #49: Alpha Release Date and Video, Live Stream on Friday

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Divinity: Original Sin; Larian Studios; Swen Vincke

Larian's latest Divinity: Original Sin Kickstarter update announces the alpha release date and also includes a video of Swen Vincke testing the current build:

When is the Alpha coming?

The date is Tuesday December 17th 2013. The date range is next week. If something goes wrong, it might be December 18th or 19th or who knows, it might even be December 16th, but rest assured that it will be next week, unless of course calamity strikes. The exact hour, well that is still to be decided.

What can I expect?

You can check for yourself in this let’s play video from last Friday in which Swen reviews the state of the alpha. Contains minor spoilers, so consider yourselves warned.

We’ll be releasing a first chunk of the world, good for approximately 10 hours of play, known to the team as The Left Side Of Cyseal. (Which is pronounced by some as "Sigh Seal" while others say "See Zay-All"...)

It’s alpha – that means place holders, rude balancing, some missing features, plenty of bugs etc… But, it’s playable, and you can play quite a lot. But you might also get stuck.

Who can play the alpha?

For the moment, Kickstarter backers only. We might be opening up beta access at a later date for people who preorder, but with 20K backers, we’re sure we’ll know what to do on the short term ;)

The update also asks backers eligible for additional rewards (designing an NPC, writing a message in the woods, etc.) to log in to The Larian Vault and fill in the necessary info. Finally, there's going to be a live stream of Swen and David playing the game on Larian's Twitch.tv channel on Friday December 13th, starting at 17:00 CET, 16:00 GMT, 8:00 PST, 11:00 EST. As the update puts it, "David & Swen will be playing the alpha, approve, or disapprove things, and then decide if it's ready or not."

AstroZombie

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin
I didn't know that intelligence would affect NPC pathfinding, that sounds very nice. My retarded companion will drag his/her ass through every type of dangerous surfaces the game has :)

clemens

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Looks good. Too bad there isn't any sound in the game yet, apparently. Would have been nice for a first contact with the thing. I guess it's a beta feature... Well, there are at least basic sounds, nice.

Last edited:

Arkeus

Arcane
While i LOVE the teleport spell, i am a bit worried about how much easier it will make Kiting.

Forktong?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
While i LOVE the teleport spell, i am a bit worried about how much easier it will make Kiting.

Forktong?
Have miscasts (does the game have those?) have the opposite effect of transporting the caster to the target. On the other hand that could be used to break maps... which is a plus imo.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Wait.. so. Me and every single backer get to play the game starting from next week?

This is kind of fucking awesome. :)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The stealth thing was cute. This looks like it'll probably end up being Larian's best game, though that's a low bar to reach and doesn't mean it'll be any good.

I didn't know that intelligence would affect NPC pathfinding, that sounds very nice. My retarded companion will drag his/her ass through every type of dangerous surfaces the game has :)
It's fucking stupid. "Haha if you don't put points into this stat you have to micromanage all of them one by one." It's like my sig.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's fucking stupid. "Haha if you don't put points into this stat you have to micromanage all of them one by one." It's like my sig.
It's stupid for companion NPCs, but it could make encounters more interesting.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
blah ... though that's a low bar to reach ... blubb.
limbo%20king.jpg

It sure is!
:troll:

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

"Haha if you don't put points into this stat you die a lot."
"Haha if you don't put points into this stat can't cast spells."
"Haha if you don't put points into this stat you won't do damage."

or

"Haha if you don't put points into this stat you have to constantly move things out of your inventory."
"Haha if you don't put points into this stat you'll have to constantly rest to regain your mana."

Where is the line, baby?

Zeriel

Arcane
Which makes the line incredibly subjective. Who knew, Roguey is a solipsist.

Raapys

Arcane
You know you've crossed the line, when its not fun any more.

Well, it's also not very fun never hitting an enemy since you decided to not put any points into combat skills. Does that mean combat skills should be dropped?

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
You know you've crossed the line, when its not fun any more.

Well, it's also not very fun never hitting an enemy since you decided to not put any points into combat skills. Does that mean combat skills should be dropped?

I understand Sawyer's solution is to have separate pools for combat and non-combat skills. Now that's thinking outside the box.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom