Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Divinity: Original Sin Kickstarter Update #53: Co-op, Companions and Steam Early Access

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Divinity: Original Sin; Larian Studios; Swen Vincke

If you have the Divinity: Original Sin alpha installed, you probably noticed that it received a few updates today. Well, Larian just released a Kickstarter update telling us what's up. Turns out the answer is "a lot":

A new version of Divinity:Original Sin's alpha was released today featuring plenty of new candy. We hope you're going to love it because even if it's work in progress, we've been having loads of fun with it.

Here's a small video in which Swen tries to explain everything that's new:

Cooperative multiplayer!

If you head over to your Steam library now, you'll discover a new update for Divinity:Original Sin which makes it possible to explore the world of Rivellon in cooperative multiplayer. It's a lot of fun, so you should definitely give it a shot!

There are now two alpha keys available on the Larian Vault for everybody who had the duo pack reward as part of their pledge. If your pledge didn't include two keys but you have a friend you'd like to play with, you can get new keys via Steam Early Access.

For now, you can only play cooperative multiplayer with people who are in your friends list on Steam. Just invite them to your game (or alternatively, have them join your game). We're aware that you'll want a lot more options to filter people, kick people, chat with people etc...... and these will be added . Until we're ready with those UI elements however, you'll have to bear with the Steam interface.

Companions

We've added two new companions to Cyseal and more will be coming in the next weeks. You'll find Jahan who's a Demon Hunter in the library and Madora, the retired Source Hunteress in the tavern.

In addition to aiding you in combat, you'll discover that they have quite a few things to say about the quests you're on, perhaps even a bit too much. Should they become too chatty, you can always send them to the hall of heroes which has now also been opened up in your Homestead on the Shelter Plane at the end of time.

Speaking of your homestead, be sure to visit it at least twice during your play through - you'll discover that Zix Zax likes to decorate. A lot.

Steam Early Access

From today on, Divinity:Original Sin is available on Steam Early Access. This will allow other people to join the community of people giving feedback, and aid us in these last months of development to make the game as good as we can. It also makes it possible for you to invite friends who didn't participate in the Kickstarter campaign to join you in your adventures through Rivellon.

There's been quite a lot debate about whether or not we should go to Steam Early Access with Divinity:Original Sin, but in the end we decided that is what's best for the development of the game because the advantages seem to outweigh the disadvantages. Swen wrote an entire blog about the pros and cons so those interested should head over to lar.net.

Trailer

And because we released the game on Steam Early Access, we also released a fancy new trailer that tries to capture what the game is about in less than 2 minutes. Given all the things you can do in Divinity:Original Sin, that proved to be a bit of an impossible mission, but Thomas did his best to capture the main ideas ;)

That's right, Steam Early Access! If you read Swen's blog post, you probably saw this coming. Since all Kickstarter backers got the alpha, it only costs $40, so hopefully there'll be less whining from the usual retards....eh, who am I kidding.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ahh, I can't seem to find the 2nd key from the KS. Did anybody else get one?

I have two Steam keys now, in addition to the Alpha Steam key I already used.

Not sure if I need to activate one of them or if the alpha will turn into the release version.

himmy

Arcane

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2

Not sure if I need to activate one of them or if the alpha will turn into the release version.

Well, I'm only seeing the one I used in the Vault thing. Guess I'll wait for them to fix it

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Well, I'm only seeing the one I used in the Vault thing. Guess I'll wait for them to fix it

Here's what I see here: https://www.larianvault.com/ks_userinput.php

JWIsTw8.png

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Yeah I'm seeing both of these too, but not the actual keys under it. Just one.

Well, I'm not sure we're actually supposed to get more than one, so maybe that's good news. You already have an activated alpha, right?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
40 euro is more or less the standard price for new releases that aren't Call of Duty or indie titles. No idea why anyone would be butthurt about it.

Fireblade

Erudite
Some of the complainers are saying it costs $40 or 40 euros, and 40 euros is around $55, so people paying euros have to pay somewhat more?

Some others, though, just seem surprised that the game is $40. Those people are clueless, of course, since Divinity 2 was $60, and I'm pretty sure Divine Divinity and Beyond Divinity were both at least $40 upon release.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Delayed till spring. I did say it was roughly 4 months away from completion last month. +M

I hope they learned a lesson about overreaching with those last two stretch goals, but I doubt it.

ColCol

Arcane
Does anyone want to do some strange halfies for Original sin. I buy the dou pack and give the copy to someone, said person gives me a copy of the banner saga in return. Maybe.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm glad to learn they delayed it, to be honest.
The whole thing about "Kickfinishing" games is making sure they end up in their best form.

imweasel

Delayed till spring. I did say it was roughly 4 months away from completion last month. +M

I hope they learned a lesson about overreaching with those last two stretch goals, but I doubt it.
I'll quote this post when it is officially announced that Project Eternity has been delayed to 2015.
:smug:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Alright, proper impressions (from last version):

THIS GAME IS GOOD and does the following 100x better than Wasteland 2:
Combat feedback. It's very satisfying to land a blow and kill enemies.
Camera. You may only tilt it to the sides, and zoom. Other than that it's pretty locked in place.
Very good!

Some stuff irritating:
Spam-clicking still awkward.
Camera can go out of bounds.
Looting needs text feedback, something like "looted x" pop up.
Would be nice with environmental descriptions but I guess that would be too much at this point.
Where is the combat log???
Get rid of pyramids.
Dialogue is awkward.

Bug report ForkTong:
Inventory can be opened twice if it's first opened, changed character, then hotkeyed.

Good game but very unpolished. Many weird movement glitches and stuff.
It feels like the game need a place to dump text. Both combat log and dialogue.

Last edited:

Direwolf

Arcane
So do I have to get another key from Larian if I have the alpha or will I be upgraded automatically in Steam?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom