Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Divinity: Original Sin Kickstarter Update #57: Beta release on April 1st, day/night cycles removed

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Divinity: Original Sin; Larian Studios; Swen Vincke

Today's Divinity: Original Sin Kickstarter update brings good news and bad news. The good news is that the game's beta is just around the corner, and will be released on April 1st. The bad news is that day/night cycles, which were promised for the Kickstarter's $1,000,000 stretch goal, have been cancelled. I quote:

This year, April is bringing more than mere showers: The beta version of Divinity: Original Sin is nearly ready for launch and will hit Steam the week of April 1 (no jokes!).

Those of you who have been making careful rounds of the alpha world will be excited to find the following:
  • New region unlocks
  • Hugely expanded character creation options, including visuals and presets
  • Tons of new talents
  • A new cache of new skills and spells
  • Better AI and new enemy tactics
  • Hundreds of bugfixes
  • New and upgraded visuals, special effects, and music
  • Improved loading times and stability
  • Improved cooperative dialog systems
To explain lots more about what's going on in the beta, Swen did a tour of the office and let the developers speak for themselves about what their departments have been up to:

If you watch the video, you'll find a nugget of wistfulness among the litany of good news:

Due to time and budgetary constraints, we have chosen not to implement day/night cycles for the launch of Divinity: Original Sin.

This was no easy decision, but in the end, resources had to be allocated toward stability and bugfixing in order to release a content-heavy, technically smooth game (almost) on time.

We realize our fans and backers will be understandably bummed by this news, but we hope to make it up to you with a game that we are proud to release and you will feel proud to have supported.

If you'd like to read more about the reasoning behind the decision to forego day/night cycles, head over to Swen's blog for a more thorough explanation.

Alas. It's a significant loss for a game that aims to be an Ultima VII spiritual successor. But as I often say, the tree of Incline shall be watered with the tears of disappointed fans. It's all for a good cause. :salute:

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Alas. It's a significant loss for a game that aims to be an Ultima VII spiritual successor, but as I often say, the tree of Incline shall be watered with the tears of weeping fans. It's all for a good cause. :salute:

Personally I (1) don't mind and (2) don't disagree with the decision, but this raises the specter of all those ethical questions KickStarter tends to pose.

Last edited by a moderator:

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
This blows. I remember Swen being really enthousiastic about the possibilities the NPC schedules would bring when I visited Larian.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well, Roguey is gonna have a field day with this bit of news. Personally I do not care that much, better no day/night cycle than a botched one.

Arkeus

Arcane
Alas. It's a significant loss for a game that aims to be an Ultima VII spiritual successor, but as I often say, the tree of Incline shall be watered with the tears of weeping fans. It's all for a good cause. :salute:
It's a pity, but at least they were straight about not being able to do it, saying it before the Beta begins and right in front of the video.

Also, Infinitron, i am disappointed that you didn't include their pimping of Serpent in the Staglands.

Divinity: Original Sin
Well, how will they implement NPC schedules without a Day/night cicle? Where's my Ultima 7 clone?

Anyway, NPC schedules in Ultima 7 was very well done, because while the NPC were at their job's location, they would actually perform their jobs, instead of just be standing behind a counter: a baker would bake bread by mixing water with flour, then putting it in the oven, a blacksmith would use his tools, a waiter would tend tables, etc. It's never been done like that ever since, and I was skeptical about DOS being capable to live up to U7... I was expecting something on the level of Gothic.

Anyway, I don't think it's essential, since it was a stretch goal that wasn't actually reached at all in kickstarter. Anyway, it's kind of frustrating, but impressions on the alpha are good, so whatever... it's not like sven is selling larian to Facebook.

AstroZombie

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin
No schedules?

Stewie_MagazineRack.gif

Xeon

Augur
Due to time and budgetary constraints, we have chosen not to implement day/night cycles for the launch of Divinity: Original Sin.
Since they said for the launch, does that mean they might add it later?

Sorry, Did not read the blog or watch the video yet.

Edit:
Nice update, some of them look exhausted. Looking forward to the stream.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Monty

Arcane
Since they said for the launch, does that mean they might add it later?
Doesn't look like it from what Swen said in his blog:

Perhaps those who are disappointed may take comfort from the engine & toolkit supporting pretty much everything that’s necessary for schedules, up to having NPCs sleep in their beds, so it’s not impossible that somewhere down the line a mod or a derivative game is released that uses these features.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
So the message was no day/night, but really this means no day/night or schedules based on Sven's comments. That's quite different and much more disappointing.

I'm sure people would forgo scene lighting changes if they could keep NPC schedules.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Still looking forward to this game regardless of the decision to cut the schedules. For an Alpha state game, it's been pretty enjoyable in the fits and starts that I've played - I'd play it more but I don't want to spoil too much of my first "official" playthrough.

Dr Schultz

Augur
This game's gonna be SOMETHING no matter what. The Alpha leaves no doubts on this regard. Point is: can you really make a spiritual successor of Ultima VII without NPC scheduling?
I mean, we all know that gameplay-wise a day/night circle is not that big deal. But what about the mood of world?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
:(

Well, I could wait more for a genuine successor of Ultima 7, given that (from what I played early alpha) this game could be a big step towards to it.

bledcarrot

Educated
Bah. Just delay it another six months and implement it. I'd have absolutely no problem with the wait if it meant schedules.

hiver

I hardly noticed it at all, compared to overflow of good and awesome stuff in the update.

bledcarrot

Educated
Bah. Just delay it another six months and implement it. I'd have absolutely no problem with the wait if it meant schedules.
They are already putting themselves in debt by delaying a lot.

They're developing a tactical turn based isometric open world RPG. They knew they wouldn't be eating when they took this on.

But you're right, I was only a little bit serious.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Well, I could wait more for a genuine successor of Ultima 7

You mean shitty combat and no worthy successor for the next 20 years? :troll:
I sure hope not.

Must say though, what I've seen of this thing looks very promising. Probably even more than W2, come at me.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Well, I could wait more for a genuine successor of Ultima 7

You mean shitty combat and no worthy successor for the next 20 years? :troll:
I sure hope not.

Must say though, what I've seen of this thing looks very promising. Probably even more than W2, come at me.

Man, in 20 years, 'Rift in Your Face v20' will make our brains entertain without concerning shitty combat.

So before that dystopia coming, I hope waiting is over when Larian's next game is out, or even some brilliant mod based on the engine. Like Swen wrote on his blog, they've made the RPG development platform and yeah it looks very promising.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom