Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Divinity: Original Sin Kickstarter Update #61: Voice acting and music, release delayed to June 30th

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by Infinitron, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Tags: Divinity: Original Sin; Larian Studios; Swen Vincke

Many of you have already heard that Divinity: Original Sin has received a short delay, from June 20th to June 30th. In this week's Kickstarter update, Swen Vincke explains the reasons why:

In this Kickstarter update, Swen talks about the voice recordings and how they will be implemented in Divinity: Original Sin, the reasons for the (small) delay, how a setback Kirill incurred resulted in this game having one of the biggest soundtracks ever, backer rewards, and more.

The Voices of Original Sin

We had to rob a bank to be able to bring you this news, but our getaway car was swift and drove us directly to a recording studio in London.

Right now the studio responsible for Divinity: Dragon Commander is recording voices for Divinity: Original Sin. That means you can once again expect AAA quality voice acting with a fantastic cast.

If you’re not familiar with the voice acting quality of Dragon Commander, check out the following video. It’s bound to get your excitement meter up. We certainly can’t wait to hear the voices of the characters we’ve been working on for so long.

The Music of Original Sin

Over 130 songs are going to be included in Divinity:Original Sin and several of them are now ready and polished. To give you a taste of what’s coming, here’s one of the completed tracks with live instruments. Listen on big speakers, it’s never sounded this good!

June 20th becomes June 30th

Because of the voice recordings (and a few other things which will become clear soon) we have to delay the release of Divinity: Original Sin by 10 days.

This is going to give us the time we need to get everything integrated. We know we’re testing your patience, but you can rest assured that we’re as keen as you to release-- it's high time we get this game out of our hands and into yours! Those extra days, are strictly necessary; we promise!
    The update also reports that there will be an Early Access update later today:

We’re planning to do another Early Access update later today, featuring once again several things you’ve been asking for in addition to yet another truckload of bugfixes and balancing updates. Since the last EA update over a 1000 updates were done here at Larian. Full changelist coming once the new version goes live.

Expect things like further tweaks to spell specialization, a lobby which allows you to find other people to play with, much needed balancing changes to the surfaces & a fitting rewarding for eating that annoying shell. Coming soon, very soon!
    Stay tuned for the next Divinity: Original Sin livestream on Larian's Twitch channel on June 18th. They'll be showing off some late game areas.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  2. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    The guy with the Barrack Obama nickname probably didn't fill his shipment address on purpose. :lol:

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  3. catfood AGAIN

catfood
    It would be funny if they send the game to the white house.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. Humanity has risen! Arcane Patron Repressed Homosexual

Humanity has risen!
    Fortunately they're taking all their time to make sure the game is good and polished!

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. Athelas Arcane

Athelas
    Voice over work being done when the game is mere weeks away from release sounds pretty rushed to me.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. MicoSelva Prestigious Gentleman Don't call Abigail Patron

MicoSelva
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    You can only do voice overs when the writing is finalised, so it makes sense it is done at the end.

I would be more concerned about Larian doing this over ten days, but as we have no idea how many lines are being recorded or how long it should take in the first place, it is hard to tell if it is being rushed or not.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    If you watch the video, you'll see that they've already begun to record the voice acting.

That said, recording sessions for voice acting are typically done quickly. You can't keep the voice actors around for months doing a little bit at a time. I'm sure it's a grueling experience in games with full VO.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. :Flash: Arcane

:Flash:
    Did anyone order the Collector's Edition and receive the email Swen mentioned?
    I pledged CE, but I didn't get an e-mail. Not that I would have wanted a refund.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. m_s0 Arcane

m_s0
    It would've been an issue with games that require tons of work afterwards (animation etc), probably not so much here. It does seem pretty late, though.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. deamento Scholar

deamento
    I assume that it's only for people who bought the collector's edition after the KS, not the ones who pledged.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. The Bishop Arbiter

The Bishop
    Well, if the track they posted is anything to judge the whole thing by, the D:OS soundtrack shaping up to be pretty remarkable. It's atypically complex and full of nuances for a video game soundtrack, with very expressive (apparently live recorded) strings. Sounds very unusual and fresh.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  12. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Update is out: http://steamcommunity.com/games/230230/announcements/detail/1658762364501410450

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    Love the music. :love:

• Brofist Brofist x 11
    ^ Top  
  14. MicoSelva Prestigious Gentleman Don't call Abigail Patron

MicoSelva
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Just watched it. I like the direction they went with voice-acting. Voicing overhead text only is a great idea that should make the world and characters feel more alive, while actual dialogues can be read at one's own pace, without distractions.

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  15. Morality Games Arcane Patron

Morality Games
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    My goodness but the Codex would be a fantastic venue for gambling. How much do you want to bet they'll need "just two weeks more" on the 30th?

Have to admire Sven's ambitious production standards though.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. tuluse Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

tuluse
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Remember that time Swen said never to give a release date until you're absolutely sure you can keep it?

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  17. Morality Games Arcane Patron

Morality Games
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Well, I'll be alright; there's always more games to play.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. jdinatale Arbiter

jdinatale
    When Larian is producing music of this quality, it makes you just want to vomit at what a studio like Obsidian is passing off as "music" in Pillars of Eternity.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  19. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator

Jaesun
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    Edgy

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. NotAGolfer Arcane Patron

NotAGolfer
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Well, it's summer and World Cup is just around the corner so I won't be playing games that much anyway. But I'm looking forward to this nonetheless, there will be time for it, there has to be.
    Remember when Konrad Adenauer said "What do I care about my chitchat from yesterday?"
    Me neither, same for that Swen quote.
    They have a beta out and it's shaping up to become an awesome final product. Everyone can follow that development, there's nothing shady happening, so stop bitching, you spoiled brats.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  21. Morality Games Arcane Patron

Morality Games
    Easy there. It was good, not a revelation.

Based on the recent video, Obsidian's will work in context . . . probably.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Crooked Bee (no longer) a wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Kirill Pokrovsky is just very good. You can't really demand the same kind of quality from your average composer, even a relatively good one.

• Brofist Brofist x 13
    ^ Top  
  23. coldcrow Prophet Patron

coldcrow
    K.P. is pretty good as game music composers go. Still he "just" has a very thorough classical education, like almost all russian music students. Standards on russian music academies are very high, as many european bands can verify.
    This track reeks of reused classical motives, it's a pleasant change to the normal crap, but no invention of the wheel. Bascially Arcanum all over again. I like it.

^ Top  
  24. Irenaeus Self-Ejected Patron Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy

Self-Ejected
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
    It's far above anything I heard in games in the last 10 years. Maybe it has reused classical motives, but damn, those are good motives that should be reused more.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    I've been listening to it on loop for the last 6 hours on a constant loop in a feeble attempt to keep myself away from the early access.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.