Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Divinity: Original Sin Kickstarter Update #66: Hardcore Mode Overview

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Divinity: Original Sin; Larian Studios; Swen Vincke

A day after Swen's blog post, Larian has published a new Divinity: Original Sin Kickstarter update. Although the update seems at first to be mostly about the game's recent awards, the accompanying video actually focuses almost entirely on the upcoming "Hardcore Mode" update, which seems to be turning out to be more of a full-blown Enhanced Edition:

The Hardcore Mode improvements will include a remastering of each and every one of the game's battles (not just high level systemic changes!), additional skills, and a rebalanced economy. It will also feature a revamp of much of the game's writing, with the goal of making the main storyline more clear and putting more emphasis on the companions. Finally, there will also be performance improvements for multicore machines, and a stand-alone server for multiplayer games, added at the request of the Neverwinter Nights persistent world community. In short, shit's gonna be awesome.

clemens

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
That hardcore mode thingy sounds good for a second playthrough, cool that they are doing it this way. Still, I hope that they will use the improvements on the engine for something diffferent than another regular Divinity game.

I don't understand why they're wasting time on this controllers scheme, though.

Last edited:

bussinrounds

Augur
Hmm...Sure HC mode will be ready in Jan ?

All well and good, but where is my hardcore mode?

Rest assured that these accolades don't make us want to kick back and rest on our laurels: quite on the contrary! We realize all too well that Original Sin is a good, but not a flawless game and a lot of effort has gone into upgrading a multitude of the game's aspects like combat, pacing, UI and main story narration. And yes, work on the hardcore mode still continues and yes, same goes for the Linux version!

It will take us some time to implement all these changes and features, BUT IN THE MEANTIME a patch with a whole host of other fixes should be ready for you somewhere in January

getter77

Augur
Nothing but good can come of Larian going for blood like this---very nice to see they are actively seeking to bolster and revel in their hard wrought momentum.

nikolokolus

Arcane
That hardcore mode thingy sounds good for a second playthrough, cool that they are doing it this way. Still, I hope that they will use the improvements on the engine for something diffferent than another regular Divinity game.

I don't understand why they're wasting time on this controllers scheme, though.

Larian is a business and businesses like money. If they can actually successfully port this game for consoles (and given the way it plays, I don't see why not) then that opens up more markets. I hate console gaming, but more power to them if it helps them stay solvent.

Perkel

Arcane
If you watch video they actually say that in hardcore mode they look for what people do in each battle and they counter it for max buthurt.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
""Hardcore Mode" update, which seems to be turning out to be more of a full-blown Enhanced Edition:"

No shit. Good to see core gamers getting serviced for once. I am almost obliged to buy the game now.

Xenich

Cipher
""Hardcore Mode" update, which seems to be turning out to be more of a full-blown Enhanced Edition:"

No shit. Good to see core gamers getting serviced for once. I am almost obliged to buy the game now.

Make sure it is at full price! /wink

Xenich

Cipher
Yeah baby, keep em coming!!
You would need to start a new game I presume?? (Stupid question, I know)

I am guessing so. My friend and I were playing through and once we heard they were working on a hard mode, we scrapped the game and moved to something else to wait for it. Starting over will be exciting if it is as involved of a re-balancing as they mention.

Xenich

Cipher
Divnity: Original Sin - The Game That Will Be Awesome. Someday. Maybe.

Yep, they shouldn't try, they should just give up and we all should be happy with the papamole crap out there. I mean, if you can't have a golden spoon, you might as well starve! Amirite?

GloomFrost

Arcane

Yep, they shouldn't try, they should just give up and we all should be happy with the papamole crap out there. I mean, if you can't have a golden spoon, you might as well starve! Amirite?

Especially now days when market is absolutely FLOODED with excellent rpgs like DA:I and skyrim. (That was a joke btw.)

V_K

Arcane

It all just feels somewhat Cleve-ish.
What's the point of reworking the game so many times over for so long after release? Most of their potential customers have already bought and played it anyway. I can understand Harebrained making DFDC as it was a standalone game, but Larian would have been much better off just making a sequel.

clemens

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

What's the point of reworking the game so many times over for so long after release? Most of their potential customers have already bought and played it anyway. I can understand Harebrained making DFDC as it was a standalone game, but Larian would have been much better off just making a sequel.

The point is that improvements to the engine/systems are precisely gonna carry over to the sequel, so work already done ?

Xenich

Cipher

The point is that improvements to the engine/systems are precisely gonna carry over to the sequel, so work already done ?

Exactly! Did you even read Swen's Blog post about all of this V_K?

ZoddGuts

Augur
There's no doubt that they'll port this to current consoles, the benefits of improving the performance of the game will also improve how it runs on those consoles. Considering how weak the Cpu's are for both consoles, Multi core support is a must to get a good performance. Plus their next game will have multi core support day one.

doggfookker

Educated
So when we gonna get this revamped everything? I just started the game over again hoping to finish it this time, but now I'm just going to have to hold off again and wait. Especially if they spruce up the writing some. I just don't want to wait more than a month or two--I am impatient as fuck.

EDIT Srsly tho, Larian are kings among men.

jdinatale

Cipher
Dang, right when I was going to start a first playthrough (I pre-ordered it), they announce an "enhanced edition" of sorts. I guess I will wait a few months.

Turok

Erudite
Dang, right when I was going to start a first playthrough (I pre-ordered it), they announce an "enhanced edition" of sorts. I guess I will wait a few months.

Same here...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom