Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Divinity: Original Sin Kickstarter Update #74: Enhanced Edition - Before & After

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Divinity: Original Sin; Larian Studios; Swen Vincke

With the Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition just six days away from release, Larian have published a dual Kickstarter update for both Divinity: Original Sin and Divinity: Original Sin 2 to remind people about it. In the accompanying video, a breathless Swen Vincke offers us a run-down of all of the Enhanced Edition's improvements. And I do mean all of them. Check it out:

Also included in the update is a shoutout to the recently released Age of Decadence. Woot!

5366795+_4e4c78168e420a2f22a5b65623ff5c91.gif

My body is ready.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Swen Vincke is cool.

Would have liked to see the before/after footage with the PC (no controller) interface tho.

Xenich

Cipher
Many of those menu screens look really console like. I hope this doesn't result in yet another game where console interface dictates the design direction, though watching the videos I don't see how it could not. /sigh

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Can somebody identify which tool is this the guy is using @ ~1:30

415glhxWx.jpg

Looks like Visual Studio...but not really?

Many of those menu screens look really console like. I hope this doesn't result in yet another game where console interface dictates the design direction, though watching the videos I don't see how it could not. /sigh
Would you consider that it's a controller-friendly GUI perhaps because he is using a controller.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Linux version delayed after console versions, which weren't even part of the goals of the original Kickstarter. Pathetic, Larian.

It's not impossible, since WL2: DC seems to have created zero buzz in the console world. I think OS is inherently more appealing to console audiences though, and Larian are also doing a much better marketing job than inXile.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
On the other hand, Larian also invested a lot more money in their Enhanced Edition than inXile.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
On the other other hand, they're using the EE as a basis for developing the sequel, which inXile don't seem to be doing just yet.

Xenich

Cipher
Would you consider that it's a controller-friendly GUI perhaps because he is using a controller.

Are you saying that the interface changes completely based on the inputs? I mean, if that is the case, great, but... in games of the past, the console interface tends to set the tone and pace of the PC interface.

Looking at the console version they are using, if the menus in the PC version are anything like the that demo, then console design is dictating functionality and that is my concern. If not, no worries.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Are you saying that the interface changes completely based on the inputs? I mean, if that is the case, great, but... in games of the past, the console interface tends to set the tone and pace of the PC interface.

Looking at the console version they are using, if the menus in the PC version are anything like the that demo, then console design is dictating functionality and that is my concern. If not, no worries.
Yes. This has been known since the start.

Xenich

Cipher
Yes. This has been known since the start.

Ok, I was not clear on that. I knew they were doing a PC version and a Console version, but I was unaware they were going to specifically keep the interfaces segregated. Some companies in the past have made such claims and yet the final result was just the console version with some adjustment to use a mouse with it. I am not saying Larian would be that slimy, but these days... I tend to be very skeptical. WL2 has obvious console design indicators in the PC version.

krist2

Augur
Patron
Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Great, been holding out on playing further on the original edition, so really looking forward to the enhanced version.
And the shout out to AOD was also cool :D

Xenich

Cipher
lol where? I think some stuff like smart skill menu not showing critical failure chance and similar things is just plain bad design regardless.

Move the camera to an area to have the party move to, click it and the camera snaps back to the party leader to follow it to that point (this is not a common PC feature). With a keyboard input, there is no need, you simply assign a center camera hot key or button on the interface and the player can quickly click that to return to center as need. With a controller, you have limited keys and so some actions need to be streamlined to save space for relevant needed commands. It is an obvious implementation that is trying to consider the lack of control that a controller has concerning screen precision compared to a mouse/keyboard.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Move the camera to an area to have the party move to, click it and the camera snaps back to the party leader to follow it to that point (this is not a common PC feature). With a keyboard input, there is no need, you simply assign a center camera hot key or button on the interface and the player can quickly click that to return to center as need. With a controller, you have limited keys and so some actions need to be streamlined to save space for relevant needed commands. It is an obvious implementation that is trying to consider the lack of control that a controller has concerning screen precision compared to a mouse/keyboard.
There's an option to enable/disable free camera

Xenich

Cipher
Well shit, I looked and must have missed it. That solves that.

Darkzone

Arcane

415glhxWx.jpg

Looks like Visual Studio...but not really?

Can be also anything that can be customised. In the past i loved the vanilla Eclipse look or the XCode look, but nowadays i prefer colored text or light gray on dark gray or dark blue background, because it is more eye friendly for me. Perhaps this guy thinks this also.
I thought that they have developed in Visual Studio their own engine, so this could be their own thing.

ROARRR

Savant
Possibly Retarded
Considering that they made the enhanced edition mainly for XBoxONE than Microsoft Visual studio makes sense. If that is true than it is even possible that they planed this while on D:OS very first kickstarter. (Smart Management)

Aenra

Can't come soon enough.

The only negative thing i got to say (watching the vid again) is that they could have dedicated a few more seconds into the 'before and after' comparisons; And most of all, in a much closer angle. Way they filmed it, they did not earn themselves any points on that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom