Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Divinity: Original Sin Kickstarter Updates: $200,000 Reached, Review Meeting Video, Editor Explained

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Well I sure hope no more incline is coming in the next couple of months, this is getting expensive.
Nothing major, probably a new Betrayal at Krondor and probably a new Police Quest.
And new 2D city builder from people that made Ceasar series, Pharaoh, Emperor: Rise of the middle kingdom, etc.

Is that something that was mentioned somewhere or just a wish of yours? If it's the former, link plz?

Rake

Arcane
We need a year long break for the games to come out and be played, and the wallets to recover.

Anac'raxus

Learned
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I need to buy an air conditioning system in a couple of days... also, a computer to play this shit (quit PC gaming after Troika folded). I really will need to run a balance on my zero APR intro credit cards... hope they don't cut my credit lines...

Seriously, there is such a thing as market saturation, especially for niche markets. I hope developers won't need great post-Kickstarter sales to stay in business.

Stabwound

Arcane
I need to buy an air conditioning system in a couple of days... also, a computer to play this shit (quit PC gaming after Troika folded). I really will need to run a balance on my zero APR intro credit cards... hope they don't cut my credit lines...

Seriously, there is such a thing as market saturation, especially for niche markets. I hope developers won't need great post-Kickstarter sales to stay in business.
Well, correct me if I'm wrong here, but wouldn't this be the case?

Company gets funded through kickstarter, creates game with money by paying employees.

Even if the game sells 0 copies, they still broke even and everyone got paid for their work no matter what unless they went over budget or someone put their own money into it.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Company gets funded through kickstarter, creates game with money by paying employees.

Even if the game sells 0 copies, they still broke even and everyone got paid for their work no matter what unless they went over budget or someone put their own money into it.

Actually, market saturation is bigger in mainstream products, since mainstream products frequently target people who might only be periphirally interested in order to get as many people to buy the product as possible. Niche customers will buy huge amounts of shit in their niche, and given the complete lack of saturation this particular market has experienced this goes double for oldschool video games. We see the effect of this every day right now; big companies failing, expanded target audiences making them use more money to sell to more people who just aren't ready to buy everything.

The disproven myth of 'Kickstarter Fatigue' shows this. People aren't close to being finished backing this kind of shit. Maybe when 10 games are out simultaneously and customers can't even find the time to play all the stuff targeted at their particular niche, interest will start to dwindle and Kickstarters will be more focused and bring in less money from a crowd of people really interested in that particular game. Right now though, it stands to reason to claim that we're in a sort of Kickstarter golden age, where the lack of saturation makes customers extremely hungry and willing to buy.

Anac'raxus

Learned
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Actually, market saturation is bigger in mainstream products, since mainstream products frequently target people who might only be periphirally interested in order to get as many people to buy the product as possible. Niche customers will buy huge amounts of shit in their niche, and given the complete lack of saturation this particular market has experienced this goes double for oldschool video games. We see the effect of this every day right now; big companies failing, expanded target audiences making them use more money to sell to more people who just aren't ready to buy everything.

The disproven myth of 'Kickstarter Fatigue' shows this. People aren't close to being finished backing this kind of shit. Maybe when 10 games are out simultaneously and customers can't even find the time to play all the stuff targeted at their particular niche, interest will start to dwindle and Kickstarters will be more focused and bring in less money from a crowd of people really interested in that particular game. Right now though, it stands to reason to claim that we're in a sort of Kickstarter golden age, where the lack of saturation makes customers extremely hungry and willing to buy.

I'm not worried about Kickstarter funding. As long as there's a compelling idea from a team with a credible track record then it'll probably be funded, this project's success while running concurrently with Torment and Shroud of the Avatar is proof enough for that.

I'm more worried about a bunch of "old school" RPGs coming to market within a year of each other. If developers can sustain themselves on crowd funding campaigns alone then it doesn't matter, but if they want multiples of that income then I think they should be careful.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Backed this. Looks damn good, and it's got gameplay vid and everytihing.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's not fatigue it's simply the fact that Larian isn't as popular as Fargo, Obsidian, and others.

Severian Silk

I am tired of reading about them and trying to keep them all straight.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

I expect these devs will want lots of day one sales, not only to help them stay running when the game is done but also to prove this whole thing is about more than just kickstarter.

So it all works out. Just contribute as best you can people.

DeepOcean

Arcane
It's not fatigue it's simply the fact that Larian isn't as popular as Fargo, Obsidian, and others.
Didn't they sold millions of copies of Divinity 2? Well at least, some of those people that bought their games should know them. I guess that people just don't know this kickstarter even exist.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Didn't they sold millions of copies of Divinity 2? Well at least, some of those people that bought their games should know them. I guess that people just don't know this kickstarter even exist.
According to VGChartz it wasn't millions, but they have only partial data for sure.

catfood

AGAIN
I'm curious how well this game is going to sell actually. So far there is almost zero awareness for it. Larian need to be starting up the hype for it a few months before this game's release, otherwise its sales are going to be as 'succesfull' as this kickstarter.

Zeriel

Arcane
According to VGChartz it wasn't millions, but they have only partial data for sure.

I'm pretty sure a lot of PC-exclusive games are primarily digital sales these days, which are both generally not included on sales charts and also give a bigger slice of the profit to the developer. Larian did say themselves that Divinity 2 sold well enough for it to fund the development of both DOS and Dragon Commander to this point, both of which seem to have pretty high production values (DC especially with lots of voice acting).

Seerix

Arbiter
I expect these devs will want lots of day one sales, not only to help them stay running when the game is done but also to prove this whole thing is about more than just kickstarter.

You do realize that "get maximum sales at release" is popularity contest among AAA companies and is mainly to make investors feel good about themselves? That it actually influences whether such company will stay afloat even if they more than quadrupled their profits during the year after the release is fucking mindnumbingly stupid. :roll:

That aside, if Larian did expected to get more than 400k then for this "campaign" they created they should whip themselves for a week as a punishment. Their video should be all about what they want to make from Kickstarter money and all this talk about how it's almost done should be just small mention only to make sure that all the "they won't make it!" people will also want to throw in their money.

But whatever, they seem to be doing fine and can learn from their mistakes so maybe they get lite version of success Project Eternity managed, if they play it all right.

EDIT: Today is mah Codex birthday! ^o^

hiver

birthdays were banned from codex 10 years ago.
also smiling and being happy about anything.

reported for both.

requesting bann for seerix.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

It's been proven many times before that VGChartz is as reliable as the Best Korean news. Their data is total ass, and it's only sorta accurate for supersuperAAA games, and usually for the consoles as well.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
You do realize that "get maximum sales at release" is popularity contest among AAA companies and is mainly to make investors feel good about themselves? That it actually influences whether such company will stay afloat even if they more than quadrupled their profits during the year after the release is fucking mindnumbingly stupid. :roll:

I'm simply saying sales on GOG and Steam after release will be important as well, so if one could not fund on kickstarter for whatever reason they don't have to feel bad about it. As great as getting $4 million was for Project: Eternity it will be equally important for Obsidian to make some money from the game in the long run.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
They've never even sold a million but they didn't need to sell that much because the budget for the entire thing (including DKS) was around 6.5 million euro (around $8 million).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom