Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Divinity: Original Sin Preview at RPGWatch

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Divinity: Original Sin; Larian Studios

RPGWatch has put up a hands-on preview of Larian's newly announced Divinity: Original Sin. Some of the more important tidbits follow.

At the start of the demonstration I was staring at two screens - two screens that showed the same game but with a different character. Yes, Original Sin can be played in multiplayer mode - it features two playable characters that can be controlled by two different players. In this cooperative multiplayer mode, a maximum of 4 players can play, but there are only two lead characters - two more players can play using mercenaries that are be hired in the game. However, the game can also be played single-player, where the player controls the whole party.

Playable characters can summon a summoning doll or an elemental, but each of them can only summon one at the time, making the maximum party size 8. The summoned creature is not controllable but will follow the character that summoned it and assist in combat, similar to the summoned creatues in Divinity 2. Enemies are not automatically leveled to your level, but combat will be scaled depending on how many players are participating in the game as fights would otherwise become too easy or too hard.

[...] The conversation starts with one of the characters who gets a list of options to choose from, just like we are used to in an RPG. The other player does not see the options but will see the choice; based on that choice the person you are talking to responds and the second player gets to choose from a list of answers. The decision on what to do next is not decided by one of the characters, but both have to agree. If they do not, this is discussed and a virtual dice is thrown in the background with the result modified with the charisma that each of the characters has to determine who wins the conversation. At the moment the developers are also thinking about adding the option to intimidate the other party member, which would result in the virtual dice being modified based on the strength of the characters. Or, Intelligence could be used to win a conversation with arguments. This has not been finalized yet, but when implemented well, this could add a lot to the multiplayer experience of the game. [...] Choices in conversation can also make factions hostile or friendly towards you, making some parts of the game easier or more difficult.

[...] Every time you level up, the four basic stats can be modified: strength, intelligence, dexterity and charisma. All other statistics are derived from these and equipment you are carrying and cannot be modified directly. This system is based on what was used in the first Divinity.

Next to modifying the stats when leveling up it is also possible to choose a skill. There are six schools of skills, four of which are magical schools based on the elements of nature: Earth, Wind, Fire and Water. Your opponents will have more or less resistance to these skills, rendering some skills useless on some creatures. Fire elements for example will have a very high resistance against fire but a very low resistance against water.

[...] The two protagonists will each have a reputation that is changed based on what they do in the world. The game starts with nobody recognizing your character, but your actions in the world will increase your reputation and change their interaction with you. This is independent on whether you do good or evil - for that there is alignment, which determines the attitude of people towards you and changes depending on you doing good or bad. If you like to play the bad guy (or girl), at a certain point the merchants won't like you anymore and are not willing to trade. Bandits like you though, so if you can find a trader who likes bandits that should not be an issue.

[...] Combat is turn-based and takes action points. Each action like moving, fighting, using a skill or equipping stuff will take action points. The switch to turn-based was made because they wanted to add something extra to the game. [...] For those who are less interested in fighting there will also be possibilities to talk yourself out of combat, which will require certain levels of your statistics.

In combat, your skills will be frequently used and, like with items, skills can be combined to do even more damage. When someone is on fire, the damage inflicted can be increased by putting another skill on them like a heat wave.

The terrain can be used in combat as well. A skill that makes it rain can be used and depending on the terrain this could form a puddle of water. If your opponent stands in that puddle, using the electricity skill will do more damage than without the water. But if one of the two characters is on fire, making it rain will put the fire out.

[...] Original Sin can be modded. The same toolset as is used by the developers will be delivered as part of the game.​

I don't really know how to feel about this game yet, but I hope Larian can deliver.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Love the title, hate the fact that the Watch got the interview.. So this is the "top secret RPG of all RPG's" project then ? Good times are sure to be coming.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Yeah it's a shame the Watch got the preview. :(
And this after all the flying thingies I've fireballed in D2, all the trolls I zapped with lightning in D1, all the undead and elite giant orcs I've spammed meteor strike on and approximately 1 million Imps I've killed with the inst-death ability you get once you've become the Divine. There are no words to describe my rage right now.:obviously:

So, turn-based, eh? I didn't see that coming.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
Even though I can't get into the Diablo's or their clones I really enjoyed Div 1. I don't know why, maybe because they built a game around the character/fighting mechanic? And they're going turn based, that was a surprise and even better. Plus large, open, explorable world, lot's of quests that aren't fed-ex, mod tools, PC-only (well, Mac too). Larian seems to be one of the few developers left that actually like RPG's. Looking forward to it.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm tempted to make a newsbit that would go like this...

Divinity: Original Sin ditches an "ultra-hardcore" role-playing system, goes for accessibility

http://www.lar.net/2012/05/29/divinity-–-original-sin-revealed/

And because I’m occasionally very impulsive, one morning I stormed into the office and told the team that we were going to ditch all the hack & slash stuff and go for turn-based. I was ready to go all despot on them should I encounter any resistance, but to my surprise, they were actually quite supportive of that idea. Then I discovered they were a little bit too supportive, because before I knew it I had an ultra-hardcore system on my plate. Eventually we settled on something that I think is quite accessible, but still offers plenty of opportunity for tactical depth.​

Facebook game confirmed. :M

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm tempted to make a newsbit that would go like this...

Divinity: Original Sin ditches an "ultra-hardcore" role-playing system, goes for accessibility

http://www.lar.net/2012/05/29/divinity-–-original-sin-revealed/

And because I’m occasionally very impulsive, one morning I stormed into the office and told the team that we were going to ditch all the hack & slash stuff and go for turn-based. I was ready to go all despot on them should I encounter any resistance, but to my surprise, they were actually quite supportive of that idea. Then I discovered they were a little bit too supportive, because before I knew it I had an ultra-hardcore system on my plate. Eventually we settled on something that I think is quite accessible, but still offers plenty of opportunity for tactical depth.​

Facebook game confirmed. :M

:rage:

Yeah, like nobody anymore wants to make anything with a semblance of depth, like all gamers are retarded, and no one can use a bit of brain when playing games... :decline: Man, I swear if it weren't for W2 hope... M:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Meh. I guess we shall have to wait until mechanics are finally specified. There is a point where it is so fucking dumbed down retards can play it (Facebook social game) or somewhat more involved. Swen is a cool dude and loves classic cRPG's so I'll fap cautiously until we know more...

Larian has always constantly shown the basics of cRPG mechanics in thier games, so I'm not expecting TOEE 2. That will have to come from indies.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I'm in Belgium. It takes me like 1h15 to get to Larian by car. Apoint me with official business, give me your questions, and by hook or by crook you'll have your answers.

Marsal

Arcane
I'm in Belgium. It takes me like 1h15 to get to Larian by car. Apoint me with official business, give me your questions, and by hook or by crook you'll have your answers.
I hereby appoint you as the official Codex ambassador to Belgium. Go and spread the word of Decline. May Hercule Poirot have mercy on your soul!

tumblr_lmlpbdFDDn1qe6b6g.gif

MCA
My question: "WTF, Larian? Dragon Commander is wacky enough, and now this, a casual console game for girlfriends and wives except on PC? There is enough casual crap in games, bring back that hardcore shit you ditched."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom