Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Divinity: Original Sin released on GOG

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Divinity: Original Sin; Larian Studios

After some trials and tribulations, Larian's Divinity: Original Sin has been released on GOG.com today. As you know, originally GOG intended to release the game in August, after the launch of its GOG Galaxy client, in order to offer full multiplayer and automatic patching features comparable to those offered by Steam. However, there was some backslash on their forums because of that decision, and also Examiner's How GOG Screwed up the Divinity: Original Sin release article, all of which led GOG to release the game earlier.

The game does have regional pricing, in case you're wondering, but it also features GOG's "Fair Price Package" and includes the editor, too:

What's cool about it:
  • We're offering a Fair Price Package with this title, so everyone who is adversely affected by the regional pricing plan will be compensated with bonus codes. You will find yours in your order confirmation email.
  • Become part of a reactive, living and vast open world. Explore many different environments, fight all kinds of fantastical creatures and discover tons of desirable items.
  • Experience gripping party- and turn-based combat. Manipulate the environment and use skill & spell combos to overcome your many foes: Use magic to make it rain on your enemies, then cast a lightning spell to fry them to a crisp.
  • Experiment with different skill combinations to ruin the day for enemies and townspeople alike.
  • Play with a friend in co-op multiplayer. Make decisions together (or disagree entirely), as your interactions and relationship with your partner influence the game.
  • Unravel a deep and epic story, set in the early days of the Divinity universe. No prior experience with other Divinity games is necessary, however. The game takes place well before its predecessors, Divine Divinity and Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga, but will still feel familiar to fans.
  • Classless character creation lets you design the character of your choice. Endless item interaction and combinations take exploration and experimentation to another level of freedom.
  • Create your own adventures and share them online. With Original Sin comes the powerful toolset used by the game's designers. Yours are endless new stories to make and share with other players!
Multiplayer notice: Multiplayer is available via Direct IP or LAN.​

In other D:OS-related news, Gamasutra has a short interview with Swen Vincke, which includes, among other things, his strong opinion on digital vs physical content:

Going forward, Larian expects to rely on crowdfunding for its future projects -- though Vincke says his studio has learned a lot from its first brush with Kickstarter.

"Don’t do anything physical," says Vincke, when I ask him about recommendations for his fellow developers who are thinking about using Kickstarter. "I would never again do all the boxed stuff, and I regret that we spent so much time on everything related to making a physical release happen."

The studio wound up devoting a significant amount of resources and time to printing discs, shipping boxes, and getting Original Sin translated and age-rated in multiple territories prior to release. Vincke tells me he ignored good advice to focus on developing a digital game in English and only worry about things like localization after your game is released.

"At the time I answered him by saying ‘you know we’ve been doing this for quite some time, we’ve released so many RPGs, we can deal with this, blah blah blah.’ And it’s true, we have done this several times, and it’s always been miserable! Here too, it was miserable again," says Vincke.

"I will definitely try to listen to my own advice next time."​

Last edited by a moderator:
Repressed Homosexual
"Don’t do anything physical," says Vincke, when I ask him about recommendations for his fellow developers who are thinking about using Kickstarter. "I would never again do all the boxed stuff, and I regret that we spent so much time on everything related to making a physical release happen."​

But how would they raise the big backer bucks without the boxed sets and physical rewards?

This. I don't want to see even more lame intangible rewards.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
"Don’t do anything physical," says Vincke, when I ask him about recommendations for his fellow developers who are thinking about using Kickstarter. "I would never again do all the boxed stuff, and I regret that we spent so much time on everything related to making a physical release happen."​

But how would they raise the big backer bucks without the boxed sets and physical rewards?

This. I don't want to see even more lame intangible rewards.
Magical underpants and preorder-like bonuses are not incentives to back for me. A (nice) box is.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Larian doesn't need big bucks. Certainly not now, and not when they did their Kickstarter either. It was a minor part of their budget.

The point of Kickstarter for them is the crowd - publicity and crowdsourcing opinion.

Besides, that money comes with a cost. Physical copies aren't free. So it's somewhat illusory.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Don't they make the most out of lower tier rewards anyway? Depending on how much trouble it is managing physical rewards the extra bux is just not worth it

Repressed Homosexual
Larian doesn't need big bucks. Certainly not now, and not when they did their Kickstarter either. It was a minor part of their budget.

The point of Kickstarter for them is the crowd - publicity and crowdsourcing opinion.

Besides, that money comes with a cost. Physical copies aren't free. So it's somewhat illusory.

Why then were so many pretty essential features and pieces of content set as stretch goals?

And this is a bad trend, because these symbolic higher tiers rewards keep getting more and more lame. I don't want to pay $250 to have a five minutes Skype "design conversation" or other lame stuff that keeps popping up. At some point it means that to be even remotely sustainable you have to treat your fans like imbeciles.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Higher tier rewards were always lame, nobody who cares about his money gave more than the bare minimum, if any

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Personally I would not give up on physical editions entirely, but I would give up on $60 standard physical editions. They should cost in the hundreds of dollars, and their production should be outsourced to a trusted party.

BTW, if you really want the big bucks, offer in-game content. It sure worked on us and RPGWatch. :M

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
$40 (gonna be near $50 after taxes and changing $ to Kanadian). LMFAO For a download only game. I guess I'll be waiting a year to play this game.

jdinatale

Cipher
The only way to make it meaningful to purchase a higher tier without physical rewards would be to offer exclusive in-game content, which would piss people off. There's no way around it.

Arkeus

Arcane
The only way to make it meaningful to purchase a higher tier without physical rewards would be to offer exclusive in-game content, which would piss people off. There's no way around it.
I felt that project eternity's "design a weapon/armor/inn/npc" was a fairly good way of doing this.

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
Swen's advices won't help to convince VD for a boxed AoD :(

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Should I let msyelf be suckered into this 50$ fool's good purchase? With alll the priase the game is getting (and the fact that DD1 won me over and DD2 and the other games in the series that I played were fun), I'm inching toward being bamboolzed. Still, online only thing annoys me. If it were boxed, I'd get it easy. But, $50 and having to rely on the internet is dangerous shit.

\
It's one thing to risk paying $5 for shit games on GOG buit $50? I dunno....

Volourn

Pretty Princess
It's $50. 39.99 plus exchange rate will get it pushing $45. I always round up my purchases because of all the stupid .99 bullshitz trickery so I double wham.

I hate the fact I';m waffling. It likely means I'm gonna end up getting it at too high a price. :(

Last edited:

jdinatale

Cipher
It's $50. 399.99 plus exchange rate will get it pushing $45. I always round up my purchases because of all the stupid .99 bullshitz trickery so I double wham.

I hate the fact I';m waffling. It likely means I'm gonna end up getting it at too high a price. :(

Well that's what happens when you live in a shit-tier country.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Since I'm no particular rush to play D:OS (want to play DD1 first; waiting for some patches), I'll probably buy it from GOG.com later on. Plus I prefer GOG over Steam, anyway.

Edit: nevermind, I just read that GOG decided to release it early rather than Aug 31.

Last edited:

bledcarrot

Educated
It's $50. 39.99 plus exchange rate will get it pushing $45. I always round up my purchases because of all the stupid .99 bullshitz trickery so I double wham.

Here in Australia $40 is about half the price you pay for a AAA new release. I think one of the problems with Kickstarter is it gets people expecting every game released to be priced around the bottom tier pledge $15 - $20 mark. Whether it's a digital download or not is less important than how much work went in to the game and how much content and playtime someone can get out of it. Considering Larian have busted their balls on both fronts I think $40 is more than reasonable. So do plenty of others, if Steam's Top Seller list is anything to go by.

Seerix

Arbiter
"No physical rewards? Well, I'm NOT BACKING! :retarded: "

Don't act like fucking Tumblr users, Codex. :roll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom