Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Divinity: Original Sin To Be Partially Funded via Kickstarter

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Divinity: Original Sin; Larian Studios

According to the Divinity: Original Sin preview at Buffed.de, the folks at Larian Studios plan on launching a Kickstarter campaign to "partially" fund the game several months before the promised release in September/October. (Pages 1 and 3 of the preview reference Kickstarter - I won't quote them here since they're in German, but you can easily find them.)

Thus far it seems to be the only source mentioning Larian's Kickstarter plans. I just hope the fabled Kickstarter fatigue doesn't prevent them from reaching their funding goal, whatever it might be.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Considering that blog post of theirs a while ago where they said they were hoping the Anthology would pay off Original Sin/Dragon Commander (I can't remember which) before it came out then then when it did they realized that wasn't going to happen I'm not too surprised. Hey I like Divinity so I'll probably throw something at them. Unless the Torment kickstarter comes up at the same time.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Man, no one wants to can finish a game alone anymore? Sure, having more money allows for a better/bigger game and all that, and I woudn't like to see Larian bros going the Troika path, but ffs...

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
From the 'hey, free money' point of view, it's almost stupid not to. You make more money (a portal level exposure, but you keep 90%) and sell a lot of overpriced loot bags.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
How could they be short on money? Their games have sold pretty well and they are a small outfit. Plus they are in europe, where wages are less than in Kwa, while their main sales were in the Kwa and in Europe...

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
From the 'hey, free money' point of view, it's almost stupid not to. You make more money (a portal level exposure, but you keep 90%) and sell a lot of overpriced loot bags.

Well, technically it is pre selling the game, so the money they would get after sales they get before.

However, yes the main FREE money comes from the higher tier awards.

Also, are you thinking about a Kickstarter Vince? I hope so, because as I have said and now you kind of quote me, it would be stupid not to. Especially not when you have a ready product (almost).

Maybe not for AoD, but for the next turn based, party based, medieval/gothic/dark fantasy crpg you will make from this engine, yes?

I'll fund that shit, as long as you offer dark magic as well (demon summoning for instance.) And katanas. And a Samurai class.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Won't it lessen confidence in the brand? This looks like they are completely broke.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Also, are you thinking about a Kickstarter Vince?
Fuck no. I hate the fucking thing.

Maybe not for AoD, but for the next turn based, party based, medieval/gothic/dark fantasy crpg you will make from this engine, yes?
If AoD sells well enough, we won't need a Kickstarter campaign. If it doesn't...

Vault Dweller

Developer
Won't it lessen confidence in the brand? This looks like they are completely broke.
I don't think that such things matters (as brand) in the gaming world. If they are planning to launch a few months before the release, then the game is done and being tested, so nobody will think that they are broke or doubt that the game will be released.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Disappointing. I was looking forward to this but... until I start seeing some results from other larger kickstarted projects, I am not spending any money on any Kickstarter campaign.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
How could they be short on money?
Self-funding the development of two games at the same time for a while now.
Their games have sold pretty well and they are a small outfit.
Doesn't last forever and they did have to share some of that with the publishers and distributors.
Plus they are in europe, where wages are less than in Kwa, while their main sales were in the Kwa and in Europe...
Swen Vincke's mentioned that Belgium actually has higher overhead than other European countries.

Hobz

Savant
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Disappointing. I was looking forward to this but... until I start seeing some results from other larger kickstarted projects, I am not spending any money on any Kickstarter campaign.

What is disappointing you exactly ? Would it be better if they just opened pre-orders or were looking for a publisher ? Or is it the fact they might not be able to self-publish entirely ? (genuine question by the way, not trying to be sarcastic)

MuscleSpark

Augur
Patron
I'll kickstart Dragon Commander, sure, because it looks fun interesting.
Original Sin? Not so much.

DeepOcean

Arcane
When the larian guys announced that they are going to add voice acting to Dragon commander(they even bought equipment used to capture facial animations) and that they are going to add ground units, I knew that problems were only a question of time. Probably, Dragon commander costed more than they expected and they decided to stop working on Original Sin. They at least could wait until Dragon commander is released, if it sells well, they could self fund Original Sin but free money is free money.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Kickstarter is just the shit now. If the game wasn't kickstarted it wasn't made for the super-exclusive niche audience that you belong to. It is mainstream shit and not worth money, just pirate from those evil corporations. Beth/Bio will be KSing in no time.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
When the larian guys announced that they are going to add voice acting to Dragon commander(they even bought equipment used to capture facial animations)...

Didn't have much interest in Dragon Commander to start with but reading this convinces me I won't give a dime to fund it. Maybe they wouldn't run out of money if they made better development decisions than wasting it on things like that. Still looking forward to Original Sin, though, will preorder buy it at 75% off for sure.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Didn't have much interest in Dragon Commander to start with but reading this convinces me I won't give a dime to fund it. Maybe they wouldn't run out of money if they made better development decisions than wasting it on things like that. Still looking forward to Original Sin, though, will preorder buy it at 75% off for sure.

Only 75? You must be really looking forward to it.

Tigranes

Arcane
Currently my suspicion is that both of Larian's titles, if they come out, will be fun but flawed games, like the rest of their offerings... but none of them quite as good as Divine Divinity. I suppose that makes it a minimum-pledge thing, at most.

Zeriel

Arcane
I don't understand the loathing for Larian here lately. They mostly make admirable games, and bad business decisions are seemingly admired when it comes to Troika of yore.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I don't understand the loathing for Larian here lately. They mostly make admirable games, and bad business decisions are seemingly admired when it comes to Troika of yore.

Legitimate criticism is not akin to loathing. Larian is a solid development studio but they've made a lot of questionable decisions. Moreover, some of their reputation is due to rhetoric: what they say versus what they consistently deliver.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom