Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Do certain RPGs have an Intelligence Quotient Threshold?

honko

Educated
I have a Hypothesis. If anyone is interested, please continue reading. I have come to a certain conclusion that certain rpgs. For instance Arcanum, is only to be enjoyed by a more prestigious segment of the RPG fandom. Those with sufficient I.Q. For my reasoning I have noticed several less then intelligent members on this forums. Arcanum as such is an admittedly flawed piece of entertainment medium. So certain arguments may be made against it, with due respect. However this community has several members who clearly have struggled in the cognitive domain.

Exhibit A. Blackshirt . This member is clearly one who struggles with basic concepts. He has admitted that Arcanum's systems are far to complex for his simple line of thought. I believe he is the type of member to our society that likely has trouble with basic life functions.

Exhibit B. Falksi While clearly more cognitively adept then exhibit A. It is known he enjoyes terrible games such as Morrowind. Which he has spent thousands of hours playing. To traverse such barren brown landscape and not lose your sanity it is clear he did not have such aptitude to begin with. He has admitted Arcanum(aswell as planescape) are too complex and unable to hold his attention.

As such I don't mean to offend anyone. I am just curious as to the nature of what constitutes our fulfillment and enjoyment of certain entertainment medium. If anyone has any other thoughts please feel free to share them on this thread. Healthy debate is the pillar of a free and open society that we all strive for.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Without a doubt Arcanum is an experience that only true gentlemen of impeccable taste can fully appreciate and enjoy.

Those that do not possess this quality of a noble character often treat Arcanum with excessive criticism, clearly a result of frustration born from a feeling of their own inferiority.

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
There is an IQ cap too. For example:

Age of Decadence: Min 100 IQ to enjoy, No cap
Arcanum: Min 110 IQ to enjoy, Caps out at 120 IQ, anyone higher isn't able to enjoy arcanum
Planescape Torment: 95 - 105 IQ
Any Larian product: 75 - 90 IQ
New Vegas: 105IQ, No cap, but minimum possible enjoyment requirement is reduced by 15 points if you are some sort of LGBTQ
Witcher 1: 110 - 150 IQ, Cap is reduced by 30 if you are female or transgender
Witcher 3: 65 - 120 IQ, Cap is increased by 20 if you are female but reduced by 10 if you are transgender
Morrowing: 80 - 99 IQ
Gothic 2: 95 - 120 IQ, Cap is removed if you speak Slavic as your mother tongue, floor is increased by 15 if you are younger than 29 at the time of this post
Any blobber: 50 - 75 IQ

etc.

Bastardchops

Augur
Patron
There is an IQ cap too. For example:

Age of Decadence: Min 100 IQ to enjoy, No cap
Arcanum: Min 110 IQ to enjoy, Caps out at 120 IQ, anyone higher isn't able to enjoy arcanum
Planescape Torment: 95 - 105 IQ
Any Larian product: 75 - 90 IQ
New Vegas: 105IQ, No cap, but minimum possible enjoyment requirement is reduced by 15 points if you are some sort of LGBTQ
Witcher 1: 110 - 150 IQ, Cap is reduced by 30 if you are female or transgender
Witcher 3: 65 - 120 IQ, Cap is increased by 20 if you are female but reduced by 10 if you are transgender
Morrowing: 80 - 99 IQ
Gothic 2: 95 - 120 IQ, Cap is removed if you speak Slavic as your mother tongue, floor is increased by 15 if you are younger than 29 at the time of this post
Any blobber: 50 - 75 IQ

etc.
The US military has determined through years of testing that no one with an IQ below 83 can be given a task in which they won't be a net negative. That means digging a ditch.

Blutwurstritter

Learned
Smart people simply adjust their IQ to match the game they are playing. This allows the incredible feat of enjoying a vast assortment of games. This enabled me to enjoy among others

-Arcanum
-Age of Decadence
-Baldurs Gate 1/2
-Blackguards 1/2
-Divinity: Original Sin 1/2
-Dragons Dogma
-Gothic 1/2
-Elex
-The Witcher 1-3
and many more.

So stop being a slave to your IQ and you'll begin to appreciate games for what they are, entertaining distractions.

Beans00

Augur
Wouldn't part of an IQ test be not being so retarded that you could remember posting the same thread under a month ago?

Are certain RPGs for the mentally deranged? | rpgcodex > erunit avalest vajunda nimerru si es?

See you, or your Beans00 alt, next month shit head, for another episode of "Honko/Beans00 embarrasses himself yet again"

We will both very happily get in a discord voice with you since you accuse of us being alts.

I already know you're too socially awkward to do that. Instead you sit around playing shit games for 20 hours a day like the autist you are.

Last edited:

MpuMngwana

Arbiter
Didn't we have the same "hey guys I think people that like games that I like have high IQ while people that like games I don't like have low IQ this objectively proves I am very smart" thread like a month ago?

Falksi

Arcane
Wouldn't part of an IQ test be not being so retarded that you could remember posting the same thread under a month ago?

Are certain RPGs for the mentally deranged? | rpgcodex > erunit avalest vajunda nimerru si es?

See you, or your Beans00 alt, next month shit head, for another episode of "Honko/Beans00 embarrasses himself yet again"

We will both very happily get in a discord voice with you since you accuse of us being alts.

I already know you're too socially awkward to do that. Instead you sit around playing shit games for 20 hours a day like the autist you are.

Why the fuck would anyone want to talk to you and your equally retarded schizophrenic "other half"?

Alphons

Cipher
To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Morrowind. The philosophy is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of philosophy and religious theory most of the Lessons of Vivec will go over a typical player's head. There's also Vivec's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation - his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The true gamers understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these Lessons of Vivec, to realize that they're not just eye opening- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Morrowind truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the despair of an immortal being in Vivec's existencial catchphrase "CHIM" which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Todd Howard's genius unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools... how I pity them. And yes by the way, I DO have a Morrowind tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- And even they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand.

Humbaba

Arcane
Didn't we have the same "hey guys I think people that like games that I like have high IQ while people that like games I don't like have low IQ this objectively proves I am very smart" thread like a month ago?

83331a8c1dc55a4fee4b697eaf52e30494d6cac2e449d4da597129d9bce71b51_1.jpg

I rest my case, heh :smug:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I have a Hypothesis. If anyone is interested, please continue reading. I have come to a certain conclusion that certain rpgs. For instance Arcanum, is only to be enjoyed by a more prestigious segment of the RPG fandom. Those with sufficient I.Q. For my reasoning I have noticed several less then intelligent members on this forums. Arcanum as such is an admittedly flawed piece of entertainment medium. So certain arguments may be made against it, with due respect. However this community has several members who clearly have struggled in the cognitive domain.

Exhibit A. Blackshirt . This member is clearly one who struggles with basic concepts. He has admitted that Arcanum's systems are far to complex for his simple line of thought. I believe he is the type of member to our society that likely has trouble with basic life functions.

Exhibit B. Falksi While clearly more cognitively adept then exhibit A. It is known he enjoyes terrible games such as Morrowind. Which he has spent thousands of hours playing. To traverse such barren brown landscape and not lose your sanity it is clear he did not have such aptitude to begin with. He has admitted Arcanum(aswell as planescape) are too complex and unable to hold his attention.

As such I don't mean to offend anyone. I am just curious as to the nature of what constitutes our fulfillment and enjoyment of certain entertainment medium. If anyone has any other thoughts please feel free to share them on this thread. Healthy debate is the pillar of a free and open society that we all strive for.
arcanum and morrowind and both excellent you idiot

what reveals retards is liking any of the following: Skyrim, Fallout 3-4, Fallout 76, Pillars of Eternity 1-2, Torment: ToN, Tyranny, ME: Andromeda, DA: Inquisition, all EEs

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Why the fuck would anyone want to talk to you and your equally retarded schizophrenic "other half"?

Berengar

Learned
Didn't we have the same "hey guys I think people that like games that I like have high IQ while people that like games I don't like have low IQ this objectively proves I am very smart" thread like a month ago? EVERY DAY

Darth Canoli

Arcane
A good RPG for very high IQ players should have a very complex and well design system as well as a great quest design (Prelude to darkness, Dark Sun, Arcanum) and good encounter design leading to good tactical combat (KotC 2).
And variety, high IQ individuals are easily bored by repetitive tasks, or repetitive gameplay.

No RPG that I played achieved all this at once.

One game that's not a RPG was pretty close though, it's UFO butthere's too many combat at some point leading to some grind.

Some RPG do things so well they're still good besides their failures on other aspects (Arcanum, Fallout, ...)

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Yes, I have an IQ of 97, and I can't play modern rpgs.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Yeah, people with an IQ of 120 or up don't waste time playing computer games after certain age, unless they're game developers and/or idiot savants, of course.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom