Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Do certain RPGs have an Intelligence Quotient Threshold?

Arthandas

Liturgist
Arcanum: Min 110 IQ to enjoy, Caps out at 120 IQ, anyone higher isn't able to enjoy arcanum
Planescape Torment: 95 - 105 IQ
This explains why I love Planescape but hate Arcanum.

Also, you forgot about something:

JRPG: 40-50 IQ. Floor removed for Japanese people and pedophiles.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
Yeah, people with an IQ of 120 or up don't waste time playing computer games after certain age, unless they're game developers and/or idiot savants, of course.
Regularly engaging in recreational activities that require active participation is important for your cognitive functioning skills.
I highly doubt there's much difference in the game you pick as long as we're not including competitive play, which is unrelated.

Oberon

Learned
arcanum and morrowind and both excellent you idiot

what reveals retards is liking any of the following: Skyrim, Fallout 3-4, Fallout 76, Pillars of Eternity 1-2, Torment: ToN, Tyranny, ME: Andromeda, DA: Inquisition, all EEs

POE 1 and 2 require an IQ of 135 plus to truly appreciate, it is no wonder they are widely lambasted here :obviously:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Yeah, people with an IQ of 120 or up don't waste time playing computer games after certain age, unless they're game developers and/or idiot savants, of course.

Most people with a high IQ (meaning not 120, which is average in a developed country); between 150 and 220; like strategy games like chess or good computer wargames and tactical RPG.

With a IQ of 120 and less, you'd probably prefer checkers and RtwP....

Bruma Hobo

Lurker

Most people with a high IQ (meaning not 120, which is average in a developed country); between 150 and 220; like strategy games like chess or good computer wargames and tactical RPG.

Yeah, you probably think spending 100 hours playing Knights of the Chalice is remotely comparable to playing chess against other human beings. :stupid:

Serus

Arcane
Patron

Yeah, you probably think spending 100 hours playing Knights of the Chalice is remotely comparable to playing chess against other human beings. :stupid:
Depends on the human being...

dacencora

God I hope this is satire.

Darth Canoli

Arcane

So, you never played chess against an AI? (which was a better player than your sister)
KotC 2 AI is quite good, by the way and KotC AI was already really good.

God I hope this is satire.

Life itself is a satire.

I'm going to dignify this unnecessarily by giving it a serious answer because to me it's really interesting and worth a discussion.

Yes. I think as a whole RPGs tend to indicate that your IQ is higher than your average bear, but it makes you more receptive to more introverted, passive tendencies, and more introspective thought, the latter being especially true if you're into things like Planescape Torment. You're reading through miles of shit, and if it's anything like Torment, the fact that you're even doing it and enjoying it, as well as actively engaging with the material, speaks miles about your intelligence. That being said I don't think playing something like Diablo that is combat focused is that much different from that, yet I'd go as far as to say playing fighting games or mainstream types of popamoles frequently can mean you're low IQ.

It's the obvious reason why white trash families play fartnite and why the underrail thread is discussing builds by damage. Even if you could scientifically prove that what I'm saying isn't necessarily true, it's still true enough in my, and perhaps most people's eyes, that there's a vast difference between a fat neckbeard huffing down the keyboard about the lore of Disco Elysium and some guy who plays nothing but popamole zombies all his life into adulthood.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
I think it's more about motivation than intelligence. Even the more in-depth RPG systems aren't really that hard to grasp if you're willing to spend the time learning them. There has to be something about the game setting or premise that makes you want to do that though.

The world you are presented with has to capture your imagination in a way that you feel compelled to inhabit it and adventure there, so compelled that you're willing to do a bunch of learning as your price of admission. And with every RPG I have played once you know how the systems work the game becomes quite easy. Most systems aren't that complex or difficult, at least when it comes to making a viable character that can complete the game on default difficulty. Player skill isn't highly emphasized, so much as player knowledge on how to make a skilled character. So if you're interested enough to learn the basics you don't need to be that bright.

So no, I don't think intelligence is a barrier to entry (within normal ranges). It's a matter of interest.

MartinK

Learned
I found Arcanum’s system to be needlessly limiting in way too many aspects yet at the same time trivial to break; worst of both world. I finished the game anyway.

BruceVC

Magister
Regularly engaging in recreational activities that require active participation is important for your cognitive functioning skills.
I highly doubt there's much difference in the game you pick as long as we're not including competitive play, which is unrelated.

Good points raised Rusty, I havent seen any meaningful studies to indicate that people over a certain IQ or age arent interested in gaming. In fact it doesnt make sense because gaming is a hobby like reading and you dont stop most hobbies due to age or intelligence

Also its subjective to suggest game x is for stupid people but game y is for clever people , I like Elder Scroll games and I like the CRPG I have played like Bards Tale 1 and ToEE and I cant see how my intelligence level is related to how enjoyable the game is around its design and mechanics

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
The US military has determined through years of testing that no one with an IQ below 83 can be given a task in which they won't be a net negative. That means digging a ditch.

You should also mention the scary part - that 83 is 12th percentile on the IQ distribution. Really, 12% of people as as dumb or dumber and no one knows what to do with them.

MartinK

Learned
You should also mention the scary part - that 83 is 12th percentile on the IQ distribution. Really, 12% of people as as dumb or dumber and no one knows what to do with them.

How about we butcher them for their meat and sell them as a rare delicacy to the rich?

Bastardchops

Augur
Patron

How about we butcher them for their meat and sell them as a rare delicacy to the rich?
I've heard of worse alternatives. Not sure you'd want to eat them though, probably better as engine coolant or ship ballast.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Low iq can push buttons with one hand and jackit with the other so some jrpg maker games should be perfect. :P (The really really simple ones). Or a VN... get the talkie ones.

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher

You mean persuading the Chinese that retardo-balls are a dick enlarger and aphrodisiac and then watch the problem quietly solve itself? :D Diabolical.

Bastardchops

Augur
Patron

You mean persuading the Chinese that retardo-balls are a dick enlarger and aphrodisiac and then watch the problem quietly solve itself? :D Diabolical.

"How Chinese investment in Africa is helping combat overpopulation and climate change" - The Guardian, March 2022

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom