Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Do niche RPGs need non-English localization? DISCUSS

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Some retards are begging for still translation in the comments after all these months. What a bunch of losers.

Some retards are begging for still translation in the comments after all these months. What a bunch of losers.
Why?

1. People from first world countries should know fucking English already.
2. By this time they should either finish the game in English and deal with it or give up instead of haunting the comment section.
3. They must be pretty stupid if they thing that begging in comments will somehow convince the devs to translate the game into 6 different languages, this shit costs money.

Lhynn

Arcane
Why?

2. By this time they should either finish the game in English and deal with it or give up instead of haunting the comment section.
3. They must be pretty stupid if they thing that begging in comments will somehow convince the devs to translate the game into 6 different languages, this shit costs money.
How do you even know they are from the first world? what about the people that dont know english like their relatives, friends and companions? those are sales.
My brother is still waiting for the stupid game to be translated to spanish.

And the fucking nerve of saying that people SHOULD learn english, its not even the most spoken language in the world. A lot of big markets can be found in portuguese or spanish speaking countries.
Meh, urdum.

Why?

How do you even know they are from the first world? what about the people that dont know english like their relatives, friends and companions? those are sales.

And the fucking nerve of saying that people SHOULD learn english, its not even the most spoken language in the world. A lot of big markets can be found in portuguese or spanish speaking countries.
Meh, urdum.

Yeah, why learn a language most western Internet uses and most video games are released in. Spamming path notes with inane begging is much more effective. I'm sure Harebrained didn't translate the game into Portugase, German, Spanish, English and Russian because they didn't realize that someone actually uses these languages, not because they don't happen to have extra cash on them.

Lhynn

Arcane
Yeah, why learn a language most western Internet uses and most video games are released in. Spamming path notes with inane begging is much more effective. I'm sure Harebrained didn't translate the game into Portugase, German, Spanish, English and Russian because they didn't realize that someone actually uses these languages, not because they don't happen to have extra cash on them.
Who knows, maybe it could represent a good financial opportunity if the demand is big enough. Im pretty sure they will absolutely not translate it if no one shows any interest tho.

Hegel

Arcane
You know a good financial opportunity? Create a SaaS company which will handle translations for those indie devs, of course you'll hire a bunch local gamers on the cheap. ++profit

Blackguard

Learned
Why?

Meh, urdum.

This is incredibly simple matter of is worth it translating the game, or not. No amount of whining is going to change that. HS translated SRR and found those big markets of portuguese and spanish speaking countries lacking. Therefore they didn't bother spending money on translations here.

eXalted

Arcane
Well, if every country starts whining about translation, Germany, France, Italy, Spain and Russia are not the only countries in the world, y'know. When I was younger, games were the biggest incentive to learn English.. so yeah.

Last edited:

naossano

Cipher
Not only there is no translation, but not even the tools for the foreign communities to do it themselves.
If they pay for translation or allow the community to do it, it would mean more sales and there is many english non-speakers in many countries.
But i would rather have them pay for translation. HBS are amongs the biggest dogs in the indie rpg scene, they can well enough afford it.

Alfons

Prophet
How are you still missing the point? It's not a question of whether they can afford it, it's a question of whether it's worth it.

naossano

Cipher
How can someone consider not worth it to have its work understood worldwide ?

I doubt one can purposly piss off foreigners and reduce its own audience.

Alfons

Prophet

Worth it as in financial benefits, not worth it as in making the residence of potatland happy.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron

It's very simple. If the cost of translating (A) is higher than the expected extra profits from translated sales (B), you don't translate. This is economics 101 stuff, really.

Lhynn

Arcane

It's very simple. If the cost of translating (A) is higher than the expected extra profits from translated sales (B), you don't translate. This is economics 101 stuff, really.
Yeah, pretty much. But the non english speaking market is p. huge, if you make it in you could make good profit, you will never make it if you dont try.

Yeah, pretty much. But the non english speaking market is p. huge, if you make it in you could make good profit, you will never make it if you dont try.

They already did with Shadorun Returns.

Lhynn

Arcane
So its better to give up because your first product didnt sell that well? thats a strange way to handle it, but i can see why they would not wish to run risks.

Just saying, you cant blame non english speakers for demanding the game in their language, its a retarded attitude to have. Shit, id count those guys asking for it as a positive, not a negative or an annoyance.

I honestly dont know who would complain about people wanting to buy their product.

So its better to give up because your first product didnt sell that well? thats a strange way to handle it, but i can see why they would not wish to run risks.

Just saying, you cant blame non english speakers for demanding the game in their language, its a retarded attitude to have. Shit, id count those guys asking for it as a positive, not a negative or an annoyance.

I honestly dont know who would complain about people wanting to buy their product.

I can blame them for being retards and keeping asking for something that will not fucking happen in a place that has nothing to do with their demands. There is wanting to play the game in your mother's tongue and there's being stupid.

Also don't say stupid bullshit about "giving up" as if you know what the situation is. Most of the people who buy games already speak fucking English and not translating the game for a bunch that is too stubborn to learn it is not "giving up" it's "not wasting your resources".

Doktor Best

Arcane
The thing is i think most people will also buy and play the game in english if given no choice, so the sales they are missing should be pretty low. You have to consider that the target audience is basically internet affine nerds with good english skills. Most of them play the game in english anyway.

So if the profit loss from the number of sales they are missing is simply smaller than the costs of translating the game, why shoud they do it? They are a company after all.

Lhynn

Arcane
The thing is i think most people will also buy and play the game in english if given no choice, so the sales they are missing should be pretty low. You have to consider that the target audience is basically internet affine nerds with good english skills. Most of them play the game in english anyway.

So if the profit loss from the number of sales they are missing is simply smaller than the costs of translating the game, why shoud they do it? They are a company after all.
True, but its not like multi language games dont exist. most big titles got it, because its a fairly important share of the market.
Plus its a costumers right to demand a product for them as long as their as willing to pay. Its a good thing, even if the demand is never met, shows people care.

naossano

Cipher
You underestimate the gaming community and some gaming press.
Why would you bother give any press coverage on a french website/newspaper if the game won't be release in the language of your audience ? (while all other games are) Communication is cut.
Also, there is a lot of people in local communities that won't bother with the game if there is no translation. Even if all the mods know english and are telling them that Dragonfall is ten times better than dead man switch, they won't just bother.
Beside that, you cannot say that the results would be the same as DMS as DMS was poorly received while DF was highly praised. A game with good critic will make much more money than a bashed one.

Even without knowing the sales results, they would be shooting themselves in both legs by just ignoring world sales if they can afford it. Which is more likely is that they want to renegociate with their translating company, but the more they wait, the more it is a disaster for their image worldwide as foreign press will just stop caring.

Shadowrun was reviewed on a few major Polish websites. Gry-online and gram.pl which provers that despite what you are saying not all foreign gaming websites are run by monkeys.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom