Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Do the Hansa! [Crusader Kings II]

Machiavelli

Educated
Alrighty.

After my previous (not very succesful) LP, it's time for another one.

The Merchant Republic of the Hansa
Wappen_L%C3%BCbeck_%28Alt%29.svg
This time, we will be playing a merchant republic. They have been recently nerfed, but still very powerful. The Italian republics have been done over and over again, so I thought it would be fun to choose another starting date and go for the Hanseatic League.​
Also, I will start as 'just' a patrician and not the doge from the start. Maybe it will make things more interesting.​
The start is in 1241, the Mongol starting date. Our goal will be firstly to become leader of the republic, secondly to become unbelievably rich, thirdly to kick around all feudal lords in the north of Europe and beyond if they don't do what we desire them to do.​
I crave for a succesful campaign after the Armenia story, and I hope you will enjoy.​
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​
Table of contents:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​
Let's go to Lübeck:
Luebeck-1350.jpg
And do the Hansa!
DoTheHansa-1250x1327.jpg

Hellraiser

Arcane
The friendly neighborhood swedish merchant republic of goetteborg (or how the fuck it's called) will violate you. Still I think you'll survive until the doomstacks of mongolia come to vassalise the HRE :troll:

Machiavelli

Educated
Part 1: Courtly love and moneymaking (1241-1242)
So here we are, a lowborn patrician. Augustin of Lüneburg.​
Our dynasty is small and little prestigious. We do have a shitload of money to start with.​
Of course we will be wanting to marry and have lots of beautiful (male) babies.​
Our liege is the head of the Vorrade family, we want his spot.​
01-PatricianAugustinofLuumlneburg_zps6142c7a3.jpg
These are our two children, who created them is unknown. Any ideas???
568114.jpg
02-Thekids_zps56c9d37c.jpg
Here's the Republic. The Vorrade family is currently in charge. They have trade posts around the capital, as does the von Bardewik family.​
The Warendorps have holdings in Poland, Witterborg is situated on the island of Gotland and on the east coast of Sweden.​
Our families' trading posts are situated on the south coast of Sweden. (Marked inside the circle with red dots)​
The 2/7, 3/11, etc. project trade posts/trade post limits. The limit can be raised by building up our mansion and making a lot of boy babies of our dynasty.​
So we will.​
Currently, we are fifth in the line of succession. But our time will come.​
03-TheRepublicandTPs_zps8712b94d.jpg
We have quite a lot of money, so we will use it to build trade posts up to our limit. I have chosen Denmark, because our relations with King Erik our better than those with the Kaiser or the King of Sweden. Meaning the trade posts are less expensive. Moreover, if we have a trade post in a county we can later seize the city in that county and it just seems right to kick around Denmark first.​
04-ExpandingTPs_zps09df89d4.jpg
First, we will need a wife (standard procedure). This Welsh lass is perfectly fit for the job.​
Her name is Mair, she likes me already because she is Zealous like me. She is also an Honest, Brave, Diligent Underhanded Rogue.​
And she is a GENIUS (oh boy). This patrician game actually makes a good breeding game, because it doesn't really matter what rank you marry. (too high of a rank is actually VERY expensive)​
05-Marrythegenius_zpsd018cbf4.jpg
We started of with an empty court (only our kids were in it) and now we have a wife. It is time to invite some nobles which we don't have enough money for. But in time we will.​
I thought spending my load of money would lower the invite noble cost, but it didn't. :mad:
06-Creatingacourt_zpsc5366776.jpg
There she is! Make lots of babies and we will concentrate on raising our.. intrigue! So we can plot to take this great republic in the making.​
07-Ambitions_zps58323706.jpg
Our new nobles look a little disoriëntated and unwary of the task ahead of them. They are too full up this empty council room.​
08-Invitednoblesemptycouncil_zps430a3538.jpg
The nobles are introduced to eachother and informed of their task. Improve relations with Denmark for cheaper trade posts, training troops for eventual fights with other patricians, collect taxes for the money, scheming and kissing the popes' ass.​
09-Filledcounciltowork_zps04c3889d.jpg
Let's bring some love to our court. Our councillors do need to marry talented and preferably Genius, Strong, Quick, Attractive girls.​
Bring in the women!​
10-CourtlyloveFTW_zps87041dac.jpg
Every councillor now has a girl to have fun with, except for my marshal. The girl I had found for him had been promised to some baron.​
We can't accept this, so let's kill the baron.​
11-BaronessGenius_zps0038876c.jpg
12-Nohelptoplot_zps629cda93.jpg
Nobody wants to join our beautiful plot. A bribe will help...​
13-Firstbloodshed_zpsd64d24d5.jpg
We can now get what we want, beautiful Theodora. My marshal will have fun with her and make genius babies.​
14-Thefinalmarriage_zps3be1015a.jpg
15-Abookwithoutatitle_zpsd4d280e5.jpg
I don't trust hooded people. But nevertheless, the book was quite interesting.​
In the meantime, the Kaiser seems to be in all kinds of trouble:​
16-HolyRomanCivilWar_zpsece50b2b.jpg
A civil war for independence broke out, just as he joined the recently called Crusade for Jerusalem.​
We don't care.​
Must.. make.. money.​
And read in my book.​
17-Scholar_zpsbe598961.jpg
18-Dockworkerstrike_zps5ee2104a.jpg
Damn those dockworkers! How come our Prince Mayor didn't manage to stop this strike in time?!​
Of course, under our rule this would NEVER happen!​
But our time has not yet come.​
Ah, good news!​
19-TPsbuilt_zps6f65bc25.jpg
A year has passed, we have filled our court with love and the promise of talent and riches.​
What does the future hold for us Lüneburgs?​
money-tree.jpg
riches.png

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Success! Baron Ubertino was caught in a deadly arrow crossfire between the scroll depository and a grassy knoll. The story we concocted about a "lone bowman" seems to be working perfectly.
:lol:

Cassidy

Arcane
Too bad CKII has no means for pulling the kind of dickery that shifted the IVth Crusade to Constantinople rather than Jerusalem. Or is there a way for that?

Machiavelli

Educated
Too bad CKII has no means for pulling the kind of dickery that shifted the IVth Crusade to Constantinople rather than Jerusalem. Or is there a way for that?

That is indeed impossible. There's no crusading against christians.

You could try to ally the biggest crusade contributors and declare war on the Byzantines and call them in, hoping they will join when they're around.
Failure chance is very high I think.

But I don't think we will be crusading much as the Hansa.

Cassidy

Arcane

Not so sure. In my last CKII game there were 3 Crusades for Germany against the Golden Horde. And Lubeck was only retaken in the 1400s, when most of its population converted to Tengri.

:hero:

Machiavelli

Educated

Not so sure. In my last CKII game there were 3 Crusades for Germany against the Golden Horde. And Lubeck was only retaken in the 1400s, when most of its population converted to Tengri.

:hero:

True!

I thought about 'classic' crusading for Jerusalem when making that remark. I'm truly hoping we will survive the golden horde.
If not possible we could maybe flee Lübeck, since our mansion can be transferred anywhere as long as we stay a Republic.
But let's not think about that yet.

jerichocaine

Literate

Ironically you can actually do the opposite. If you reform the Church as the Byzantines, Orthodoxes gain the ability to declare holy wars on Catholics.

Kattze

Andhaira
Andhaira
If you fail with this LP, don't do the Duklja. LP interesting personalities such as El Cid, as count of Valencia in 1094, or Rouisell(?) de Bailleul (?), a lone Norman duke somewhere in Anatolia in 1071.

Machiavelli

Educated
If you fail with this LP, don't do the Duklja. LP interesting personalities such as El Cid, as count of Valencia in 1094, or Rouisell(?) de Bailleul (?), a lone Norman duke somewhere in Anatolia in 1071.

Duklja collected a lot of votes last time, so Serbia earns it. I think playing as count of Valencia in 1094 will be just another fail :-p.
But I'll always consider ideas.

Next update will be soon.

Machiavelli

Educated
Part 2: Building & Breeding (1242-1250)

20-Theworldin1242_zps58dad916.jpg

The year is 1242, the Holy Roman Empire is in civil war, France seems pretty chopped up and the Mongolian Hordes are gaining in on Europe.
We've got work to do.

21-Raisingwickedladies_zpsa2875fb2.jpg

I'm going to say this once and only once. All of the girls in our court will be tutored by mentors skilled in intrigue. I like high intrigue girls. You can send them places and they mostly like you.

News from a local noble:

22-RichRefugee_zps548dc77b.jpg

Yes we will help you! Anything to discomfort one of the other patrician families.

We are competing with them for trade in the Baltic. We have built two extra trade posts on some Danish islands, the Vorrades have expanded into northern Denmark.

23-Familytradingposts_zps1a01643d.jpg

We will have to try to get as much trade posts as possible in our main sea zone, called 'the Sound'. It will get wicked bonuses for being connected to the capital.

Good news:

24-Wifepregnant_zpsfb101304.jpg

My genius wife is pregnant! Let's hope she pops out a genius son.
Something like this, but better:

25-Quickboyborn_zps51968476.jpg

The breeding game is beginning. Before we go on, let's look at our surroundings.

26-Scandinavia_zps41b50402.jpg

This is Scandinavia and it's rulers:

27-Scandinavianrulers_zps6d6a6842.jpg

King Erik of Denmark likes me most, which is good 'cause I want to build trade posts there. He's a pretty good ruler overall. Hakon is quite the diplomat, but with no other obvious talents except eating and having sex. Erik of Sweden isn't blessed with his personage. He has a lisp and is clubfooted, furthermore he is chaste. Those combined with having wife nor babies, is a bad sign for Sweden.

28-Geniusboyborn_zps47e62e13.jpg

A Genius has been born! Too bad he's not my child, but we'll have our chance soon.

Let's hope we will have enough Geniuses before the Mongols come our way:

29-ThoseMongols_zps9603c353.jpg

Uggh:

30-Myhunchbackdaughter_zps56c50e9f.jpg

We had a daughter... :( and she's a hunchback. Greaaaaaaat..
That wasn't really what we were hoping for.

Let's turn my attention to something else:

31-Escapades_zpsf9672ed9.jpg

That girl. She should have taken the chance to have me. I let her tutor my child, for God's sake!

I'm raising my son myself!

32-Educatemyson_zpsd7a0e553.jpg

Some story I heard, about an old tailor.

33-Thatoldtailor_zpsa818e6ba.jpg

Before we begin our training, we will need to have dinner. So, let the cooks make some!!

34-DinnerTime_zps6ecc49bc.jpg

So we're now Temperate. Let's see who we actually are.
We are an Honest, Patient, Gregarious, Zealous, Temperate, Intricate Webweaver. And a Scholar.
Pretty.. But we have no titles which contain lands.

35-PatricianAugustin_zpse9ef2770.jpg

Finally, we have the money to build our Palace.

36-Buildthatpalace_zps80252a13.jpg

We really want this, it will greatly increase our levy and income. And we can build more trade posts. We are on our limit now.

Dietpold! Make sure those workers keep busy from dusk till dawn.

I'm going to lay down now..

37-Stress_zps774d7b1a.jpg

This won't help my psyche:

38-ThosewretchedVorrades_zps69d8bdda.jpg

That bastard! I bet it was our Lord Mayor who issued the order. We'll be keeping an eye on him and our revenge will be sweet. Late, maybe, but sweet..

I guess we need a new spymaster.

39-Newspymaster_zpsee127cc3.jpg

This claimant is fit for the job.

And so is my oldest son:

40-MyBraveson_zps9c8b4f1e.jpg

In the meantime, the old tailor is teaching me stuff.

41-Oldtailorambition_zps22aa455a.jpg

42-Deadpatrician_zpsf3f57286.jpg

Oh, the first dead patrician. His successor doesn't seem very respected. We have climbed the republican ladder, nearly there!

43-MyGreedyson_zps16ec8a5a.jpg

I can't use a greedy son. Lecture the boy!

Or there will be other contestants:

44-Wifeispregnant_zpsbb0164a5.jpg

We will also be building up our trade posts when at our limit. The Port increases trade zone value (now 136.0) and the Enclave increases tax income (now 12.0). The garrison increases our retinue a bit and also the fort level of the post.

Grave news from Denmark:

45-Deadking_zps3cbaf1fd.jpg

The king who loved us, died. Can the boy keep his throne?

46-MyGeniusson_zpsc6720ee7.jpg

Success!! We have our genius. This is great, he will serve our family well.

Speaking of families, here are the big five:

47-Palacefinished_zps6179ca34.jpg

It will be a long time before we are Prince Mayor, but we'll build up that place on the right and force our way up.

The year is 1250 and our family is going strong, but not yet there.

48-Theworldin1250_zps9dac2710.jpg

Yes, yes, the jew must flow. He who has the jew controls the Hansa.

As Gotland after 50-60 years or so of financial expansion I managed to get Livonia and Courland then form Lithuania some decades later. Or are you going the no expansion route?

Machiavelli

Educated
Yes, yes, the jew must flow. He who has the jew controls the Hansa.

As Gotland after 50-60 years or so of financial expansion I managed to get Livonia and Courland then form Lithuania some decades later. Or are you going the no expansion route?

Well that could be part of debate. I would like to go the historical route and build up trade in Bruges and London. There also aren't real easy independent targets, I can seize cities in Sweden, Denmark and Pomeralia (I think) because I have trade posts there. So maybe expansion within the HRE would be better, I don't know.
Maybe it's better to go expanding westward, looking at that golden blob in the east?

mongol_cavalry___golden_horde_by_happymorningstar-d4p4llo.jpg

He does look scary, huh?

Him alone, no.

It's the 200k stacks of the Goldenfag-Timur ITZ that basically end the game. Funny thing is that republics, with their insane retinue bonuses and massive income can raise and hire massive armies to stop them, far better than Poland or even the HRE can.

Machiavelli

Educated
Him alone, no.

It's the 200k stacks of the Goldenfag-Timur ITZ that basically end the game. Funny thing is that republics, with their insane retinue bonuses and massive income can raise and hire massive armies to stop them, far better than Poland or even the HRE can.

Yes, they don't show up without their friends... xD
Let's hope we can stop 'em.

But we'll need to become Prince Mayor first, or else there's no expanding. I've got the smallest army amongst the five families, despite my upgraded palace. I think my crappy martial skill is the cause.

Lindblum

Augur
Oh wow a CK2 LP thats actually entertaining.

Its a nice change to see an LP without too much "RPGCodex" references.
Do continue spinning your tale.

Machiavelli

Educated
Oh wow a CK2 LP thats actually entertaining.

Its a nice change to see an LP without too much "RPGCodex" references.
Do continue spinning your tale.

Thanks for the big up, though I'm still trying to figure out what's entertaining and what not.

I will be spinning again very soon, two entries in the making and it's finally getting exciting.

Machiavelli

Educated
Part 3: A Jagged Alliance (1250-1256)

Our Kaiser has crushed the rebellious King of Bohemia and two other dukes in their war for independence
and is closing in on the duke of Lombardy.

A boy king in England is dealing with a succession crisis and the Spanish are years away from reclaiming Iberia.
It's good to see North Africa still green.

49-Civilwarends_zpsab608953.jpg

Our son is lying to us.

50-AlexandergainsHonest_zps8eb2de4e.jpg

We shall give him a talking to. Learn him that a ruler should rely on others to be dishonest.

Our pope is a greedy bastard, luckily he's cheap.
But I think we do have to accomodate his employees.

51-Hedgeknights1_zps6fcbac26.jpg

Our trade is looking pretty good. We own the trade posts on the two main islands of the Sound.
The Bight of Hano is completely our turf and we have recently built a new post inbetween two families
in Wolgast.
It could be better though.

52-Builttradeposts_zps04172012.jpg

We have replaced a marshal who had inherited some land with a new Russian claimant, may he serve us well.

And the son is becoming a nuisance.

53-Newmarshal_zps0aaf7a7d.jpg

In the east, the Mongols are going strong and burning cities. Our marshal should be thankful he's here.

54-MongolssackNovgorod_zpsa1c550aa.jpg

55-Trademinus_zpsbd129dc2.jpg

Bleh. The seas are great but the navy is small.
We have other things to worry about.

56-Becamesteward_zps8527c77e.jpg

Our liege has asked us to join his council.
Yes.. we will see if we can do something useful in there.

And those hedge knights again! I wonder if their religious head knows what they are doing on this side of the woods and mountains.

57-Hedgeknights2_zps88713fce.jpg

I like a good, fair fight.
Honorable knights are always welcome in our home.

58-Wheredochildrencomefrom_zps9938c525.jpg

Ah, there's our good boy!

He's so intelligent, he will have time to learn about the world.

Our oldest daughter Isentrud is growing up very fast. We should think about marrying her off for an alliance.
And to whom.

59-IsentrudElusiveShadow_zps4fc5eedf.jpg

60-WTF_zps61c94b04.jpg

Things just became surreal when looking for a good alliance husband for Isentrud.
The palace of the Warendorps is home to this retarded young man. He apparently adopted a 34-year-old.

We should try another family, maybe. This Hildemar, son of the Prince Mayor.
It would give us an alliance with our liege, who can't help us in internal wars.
But when a patrician of another family is chosen, he will.
We could be friends and help eachother, couldn't we?

61-Familyties_zpsa9d5e0a8.jpg

62-Wifepregnant_zpsea31fd84.jpg

Great! Pray for a boy, Mair. I need them.

63-Anothergenius_zpsc2f52f2d.jpg

Don't cry, sweety. It's okay...
A genius girl is almost as good as a boy.

Speaking of boys, how's our little king doing in Denmark?

64-Theboykingwasmurdered_zpsda676a98.jpg

Ouch, he died. I wonder if Christoffer I 'the Moustached' had anything to do with that unfortunate accident.

In our world, minor plots rule the marketplace.

65-Corruptnoble_zps02c80930.jpg

Luckily there's always that talented man to give shelter from his unsatisfying surroundings.

66-HieronymustheZealot_zps30ae7502.jpg

It's good to see Hieronymus grow up. He's so bright and good and.. I just love him.

67-Wifepregnantagain_zpsd9d09c63.jpg

And more of those coming.

Maybe it looks like we are just sitting around the house and not doing much.

This is not true. We are still building to make our reign one to remember.
Raising our income is always good and we will be plotting soon, so..

68-TheRepublicandPalace_zps293e2d39.jpg

Children grow up to be adults and you would think they would be ready.
Alexander doesn't seem ready at all. He's a good man, diplomatically educated; brave, honest and charitable.
But nothing special.

69-AlexanderUnderhandedRogue_zpsbccebe44.jpg

70-Ajaggedalliance_zps60376329.jpg

Now that's a marriage!
Maybe it's good to give a party now and then.

I shall give Alexander a present, he's my boy after all..

71-Welcomethegenius_zps299c99b9.jpg

I hope he likes exotic gifts.

Hieronymus here, will receive greater gifts in his bright future.

72-Willwerulesomeday_zpse49ace04.jpg

No, son. It isn't the right question.

Will the family, with hard work and God willing, rule one day?
And the answer is yes, boy, we will.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom