Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Do they still make blobbers? asking for a friend

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by circ, Nov 16, 2017.

1. circ Arcane

circ
    Recently I got around to playing MMX. It's Unity so, but chapter 1 had me interested and it had been a while since I last played MM or Wizardry or similar. Then chapter 2 hit. I lost interest after noticing you can just roll over the entire overland map pretty much at that point. Money is never an issue. Overpowered relics though a nice concept are just that, OP. And wow is that the worst forest and most uninspiring overall area I've ever seen. Anyway, tried some other builds, but it's not exactly all that varied. Etc.

So still looking for blobbering some more. No I don't want to install Wizardry 8 again. I don't like sci-fi and fantasy mixing anyway. Some criteria:

No consoles. No. No really. No.

No jap. No. Seriously. No.

NO RTWP. TB OR GO HOME. NO EXCEPTIONS. I DON'T CARE IF ALL THE COOL KIDS PLAY GRIMROCK.

Recent. Like 2005+. Runs on Win 7 atleast. Pretty good visually. Shrug.

Indie is fine.

But no stupid gimmicks like we made the entire game black and white because that's awesome.

Party based.

Not just dungeons. Cities and overland movement too. Cities can be lazy single screen stuff.

First person.

I'm probably going to end up being disappointed but you never know.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 2
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. CryptRat Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Developer

CryptRat
    Sword & Sorcery : Underworld is fun. There isn't a distinct overland but there are cities.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. buffalo bill Prophet

buffalo bill
    Grimoire

• incline incline x 4
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Hobo Elf Arcane

Hobo Elf
    Well I guess the answer is no then.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. mondblut Arcane

mondblut

^ Top  
  6. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes

^ Top  
  7. Lahey Laheyist Patron

Lahey
    Grab the Codex by the pussy

^ Top  
    ^ Top  
  9. kintake Learned

kintake
    Grimoire is pretty good, but I'd wait for the manual if I were you. Coming Friday.

• Funny x 3
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. moraes Arcane Patron

moraes
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Heroes of a Broken Land (not strictly a blobber)
    Starcrawlers (no cities or overland travel)
    Wizards & Warriors became recently playable on modern systems (pre 2005)

Edit: Grimoire

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. aweigh Arcane

aweigh
    i can't right because im onmobile but later when i get home ill give you a complete lost of all western and japanese blobbers. i dont really like real time blobbers much but if you want ill do my best to compile a few (obvious grimrock, etc, etc).

btw circ

in GRPG forum, prolly buried 10 pages down, i made a thread wth a very big compilation of all of the Western Blobbers from the last decade, give or take. In that thread you will find stuff like paper sorceroe, oubliette, demise, Heroes of a broken land, Frayed knights, the Black Palace/Sword, Starcrawlers, the obvious ones like MM and i also included as many RT blobbers as i could (at the time).

in the JRPG foeum i made a thread compiling a pretty much complete list of all turn based blobbers made by Ex Wizardry devs who plied their talents in japan. all Wizzies and all japanese Wiz scenarios as well as a big amoumt of all the blobbers, be they Wiz-clone or not, that were made by ex Wiz devs.

in thay 2nd list, i also included japanese trn based blobbers unrelated to Wizardry.

i recommend reading both of my blobber xompilation threads!!! the linked pictures beside each game most have gone 404 but i ll take this impetus to go re upload all the pics, and add mew blobbers bothnjap and west thay have recently released or are upxoming.

the good news circ is thay there are a metric fuckload of blobbers availabe for you to play, but, of course, the best ones are japanese as they are more mechanically complex than the western stuff coming out, like STARCRAWLERS, which had promise but fell short due to the western devs casualizing it to the point of removing all deph, coupled wih the bafflig decision to go with procedurally gen dungeons that ALL are bad.

• Salute Salute x 3
    ^ Top  
  12. Shackleton Arcane Patron

Shackleton
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    So I guess someone played Paper Sorcerer then.

If you'd let go of your prejudice against Japanese games, they're the only ones making blobbers that are more than an inch deep. Starcrawlers is about the best of the recent surge in western blobbers, but if you didn't really like MMX I doubt you'll like that.

Don't know if it counts as console, but find a DS emulator and play Dark Spire if you really don't want japanese but want something to get your teeth into.

^ Top  
  13. aweigh Arcane

aweigh

• Brofist Brofist x 9
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. duanth123 Arcane

duanth123
    Won't even play Paper Sorcerer and thinks what he really wants is a good blobber, rather than technical fulfillment of an arbitrary set of features.

If you really wanted a blobber, you'd know enough to make some compromises.

And maybe check your assumptions about the quality of jap/console games.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. circ Arcane

circ
    Youtubed that. Well it kinda looks like a self-published cheap comic book more than anything. Dunno.

^ Top  
  16. Reinhardt Arcane

Reinhardt
    Realms of Arkania HD.

^ Top  
  17. circ Arcane

circ
    Wow that's ugly
    didn't know that was out. Looks interesting thanks.
    how? well I'll just google but hey

^ Top  
  18. circ Arcane

circ
    I installed that the other day. Really bad interface and voiced description lines - really?? Maybe I'll give it another try.

^ Top  
  19. moraes Arcane Patron

moraes
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
  20. circ Arcane

circ
    They also make dumb art that looks like it was just copy pasted from artwork and completely clashes with the overall art in the games.

Also everyone is a teen or younger.

I'll pass.

^ Top  
  21. V_K Arcane

V_K
    Lords of Xulima is probably your best bet - even though exploration is isometric, for all other intends and puproses it's a blobber.
    7 Mages can scratch the itch, even though charater system is pretty simplistic. On the other hand, there's in-combat party splitting - you loose some, you gain some.
    Frayed Knights are pretty good gameplay-wise, despite the cringy humor.
    Gods: Lands of Infinity is a Czech blobber from 2007 if all you care about is boobs.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. tindrli Arcane

tindrli
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. aweigh Arcane

aweigh

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Serus Arcane

Serus
    Some games are like that but not all of them. Elminage Gothic (or Elminage Original via emulation) has full party creation and not all portraits are teenagers. The art is a bit quirky but not what you imagine it to be and is actually quite good. First dungeon in Gothic sucks but after that... you really should try it. A lot of trash combat though - japanese style, they are more patient kind of people but if you enjoyed later Wizardry then it's not much worse here.

^ Top  
  25. aweigh Arcane

aweigh
    circ

the only blobbers off-the-top-of-my-head that are missing (that I can remember right now)...

- 7 Mages (V_K really likes this one)

- I can't remember if I bothered to include Labyrinth of Touhou 1 and 2 (don't really dig them much, also I am so lazy I can't even be bothered to check my own posts/lists, keke)

- The upcoming Bard's Tale 4... :( (??? maybe not?)

- And obviously a fucking metric ton of real-time blobbers + another metric shit-ton of other blobbers that I have no idea even exist.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.