Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Do you back up your save games?

Do you back up the save files of your favorite games?

• Yes, religiously. I even backup my backups.

• Yes, but I rely on cloud save services or other automatic backups for that.

• Only sometimes do I back up my saves, like for the best games.

• Almost never. If I lose them I lose them.

• Nope, not ever. I like to live on the edge!

Results are only viewable after voting.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I actually write batch files to manually back up my saves, especially for RPGs. What about you?

A horse of course

I do the same. You never know when you might want to reload an old save after losing a debate with Gregz.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Nope, never. If I ever play the game again, I'll start over from the start anyway. I don't really see the point.

Obvious exception is if I reformat in the middle of playing something.

JDR13

Arcane
Almost never. The only exception might be for games that restrict you to a single save and automatically overwrite it.

Even then, it's rare for me to back up saves. I think the last time I did it was for Vampyr.

Codex Year of the Donut
people who don't do backups are weird

of save files for games you don't ever plan to play again? only autists do that
like 2 in 3 RPGs have sequels where you can import a prior save to affect the gameworld

What was the last game that allowed this, Wizardry 8 in 2001? Modern RPGs don't do that
off the top of my head?
Witcher 3.

actually, deadfire is more recent

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
people who don't do backups are weird

of save files for games you don't ever plan to play again? only autists do that
like 2 in 3 RPGs have sequels where you can import a prior save to affect the gameworld

What was the last game that allowed this, Wizardry 8 in 2001? Modern RPGs don't do that
off the top of my head?
Witcher 3.

actually, deadfire is more recent

Ok, these are legitimate reasons to keep save files, but other than that I don't see the need

asfasdf

robot
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I have a dozen golden discs sealed in a vacuum chamber with laser alarms and stuff. Each one contains every single savegame I made in the last 30 years.

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I only have two memory cards, so if I have to delete some file I just deal with it. It still have my saves of Crash Bandicoot from my youth though (almost 15 years now, time passes quickly)

When I played Darklands I started to back them up after a bug almost killed my progress. I also back up saves of games that allows to transfer your party, to not lose the characters before starting a playthrough.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
I do it for Deus Ex mostly because it has a limit on how many saves you can have so I'm forced to back them up normally around Area 51. I save scum a bit too much with GMDX.
For most other games no because they're either too short for me to care or they're more fun if I start over.

Save management is one of those things that drives me crazy in modern games because as times gone on the reliability of games has gotten worse.
Where it was originally fine to just give the player 10 save slots because normally you could do 1 save per level, now you're saving in the off chance the game bugs out or crashes. So limited saves is just silly.

I like games that have character sheet exporters so I don't have to re-do character creation every time if the game supports that I usually back those up. Frankly not enough games do this. Its just nice because if you spent a lot of time perfecting a character's look or backstory its nice to not have to go through all that again. Xcom 2 did this really well for example, I even loved that you could bring characters you made as random recruits. I nearly always back up characters if it lets me.

I think everyone can agree however that Omikron had by far the worst save system of any game period and its almost a requirement to cheat just to bypass how bad that save system is.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
depends on the game. if it's something i can finish in 10-15 hours what's the point? but if it's a long ass game i will make a back up every 10 hours or so and copy/paste to another one of my drives.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom