Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Do you prefer kingmaker or DOS2?

neilsouth

Augur
DOS 1 was better than Pathfinder IMO
But DOS2, nope.. Prefered Pathfinder especially as DOS2 I gave up in boredom from trying to find characters to complete certain quests :/

Shadenuat

Arcane
6ZlVbPF.jpg

Saxon1974

Prophet
Seems more like Kingmaker here. I prefer turn based combat though; since there is a mod for TB kingmaker in the works I am going to wait for that to play it as I never liked RTWP much.

DOS2 is decent so far, but man I just don't like the camera. I had to install a camera mod to allow vertical tilt so I could see more than 15 feet on front of the party. Also in the wilderness I have to pan out and around trees\structures that block my view. Gives me horrible flashbacks to Neverwinter Nights 2. I guess that's inevitable with an Isometric game with 3d objects.

I don't think Larian has ever been able to capture that same atmosphere they had in Divinity Divinity. The atmosphere in DD felt like you were trekking around in a dark forest and kept drawing me back in to play; haven't had that feeling since that first game. I hate the combat in DD though but everything else was great. (OK maybe the ending was rushed). The games they have made sense have just been OK IMO . I don't like their art style with HUGE shoulder plates and the cartoon style. That being said Kingmaker has this too. This is a bit toned down in DOS 2 but its still there. The humor so far is OK but it all feels a little bit like a cartoon as well. It also feels like the combat in DOS2 (While I like they went TB) is a little gimmicky with all the exploding barrels everywhere. Apparently someone came out into the wilderness and dropped oil, poison, exploding and water barrels all over.

Haven't played either game that much but first impressions are I like Kingmaker better. I wonder when Larian does BGIII in the forgotten realms if the cartoon feel will be toned down even more. What worries me is how dumbed down it will be because they want it accessible to EVERYONE.

Dawnrazor

Novice
Kingmaker is the closest that RTWP combat has ever gotten to being fun, but it would still have been better as a turn based game. I don't get why the creators didn't go for it, they made Silent Storm which is one of the most fun turn based combat games. They even made Rage of Mages at the other end of the spectrum, great fully real time fun.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Kingmaker is the closest that RTWP combat has ever gotten to being fun, but it would still have been better as a turn based game. I don't get why the creators didn't go for it, they made Silent Storm which is one of the most fun turn based combat games. They even made Rage of Mages at the other end of the spectrum, great fully real time fun.
I hope people on Owlcat’s forums are reccomend the TB mod to Owlcat.

gunman

Arcane
Developer
DOS1 & DOS2 while having great fun starting them, halfway through I got so bored I had to quit playing.

I have played Kingmaker when it was was still very buggy and the ending chapters were pretty atrocious (those wild hunt mobs...) but I could not put it away until I finished it.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Kingmaker has >
1 - No cooldown
2 - No stupid limitations like only one summon bs
3 - No bows with 13m range (the range still limited compared to pnp)
4 - No BS mechanics like magic armor
5 - Much more diversity on feats, class selection and other things
(...)

Ts7JWLe.jpg

Generic-Giant-Spider

Kingmaker.

I like the vibe of it more, the presentation, the ruleset and character customizing. It also has a main theme that I can actually recall and enjoy which is a rare feat for me in gaming these past ten years. It's a game I know I'll go back to over the years.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Hard to say, I don't like either, but I would probably go with DoS2. Kingmaker more resembles a real RPG, but the endless trash fights with infinite resting got boring really fast and the game just keeps plodding on relentlessly. More and more walk to dot on map, kill 2 wolves, back to exit, repeat. FOREVER. It needs far more bosses and far less trash. Also the town management thing is one of the most boring and unnecessary gimmicks I've seen. DoS2 is generally shit, but I enjoyed some of the battles like the one on the tower that becomes a raging inferno all around.

I think DoS2 would be really good with mods that remove the terrible armor system and increase enemy HP to compensate, but I don't think there is a mod that does that sufficiently well. Also I would prefer a party of 6 and I would prefer to not have to endlessly loot procedurally generated shit loots. And also I prefer more AP per turn. The problem is when you mod this stuff, it breaks the game. I also don't like the special Source spells, it is just a bad mechanic. Overpower any battle you want, the downside is you have to run back to a house miles away. Bad design is bad.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
Kingmaker.

Tried both DOS1 and 2 but for some reason i lose interest really fast, think its the forced zanyness and inanity that ruin it for me

Drowed

Arcane
I really liked D:OS2 but if you force me to choose between them, it's hard not to put Kingmaker in front.

I mean, the only two things where D:OS2 comes out ahead is the fact that it's turn-based and the interaction of the spells and abilities with the scenery / other spells. Maybe in the graphics too, but it's debatable. System? Kingmaker uses Pathfinder. Number of spells? PK. Character builds? PK by far. Itemization? PK by far. Size and number of quests? PK too. Funny situations where you believed you had a perfect plan just to be raped by your enemies in a few moments because you're an idiot and didn't notice some detail? PK. Situations where you adapt and plan your attack and buff all your characters to decimate the enemies in a few moments? PK.

So yeah, D:OS2 is fun, I really like it and I love the setting, the mood and humour (which many people don't like), and the interactions with the scenery. But if we need to pick one...

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
But DOS2 its better because it doesnt have RTWP.

There are mods that make kingmaker turn based if you like. The best system is the system from M&M VI-VIII, where you can use RT against trash mobs and turn based against thought mobs

PS : D:OS2 don't have RTWP, but can you build an undead army on D:OS2? No, then Kingmaker wins. Necromancers limited to one summon and archers to 13m = Sorry, i have better games to play.

An interesting comment "
ChimpoTalks Gaming 1 month ago
Despite beating all the Baldur's Gate games, I can't do real time /w pausing anymore after Divinity Original Sin. Thank you so much for this. Pathfinder was a pass for me until you created this MASTERPIECE of a mod."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom