Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

TBS Do you support a HD re-release of Sid Meier's Alpha Centaury?

Do you support a HD re-release of SMAC?

• Total voters

laclongquan

Arcane
Because it's a near perfect game as it is (discount the bugs). The only complaint I have toward this game is the Win98-era graphics.

A HD re-release for this game should make Codex cream in their pants.

A horse of course

An "HD release" of a 2d game means 5 minutes of postprocessing in photoshop

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
The graphics are fine as they are and the game runs well on modern machines. What the hell you need a remake for?

Luka-boy

Arcane
Considering the gud/sucks ratio of HD re-releases? Fuck no.

That said, SMAC might be the only case where a re-release not having an expansion because the source code is lost or whatever excuse they come up would be actually welcomed by some players. That would be amusing to see.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
What is a HD-rerelease in this case?

The game supports the 1920*1080 resolution as it is - and unlike many of its era, it doesn't look like an ant simulator.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Now with added poll.

Last edited:

DramaticPopcorn

Whenever I try to get back into Alpha Centauri I miss all the UI convinience that you get used to in modern games. Graphics are fine imo

spectre

Arcane
So, uh, is it a thing, somebody is planning something, or is Sulik just playing cocktease here?

I totally would though. But I agree with the above, the GUI is the thing that probably aged the worst.
You faggots will probably tell me you're perfectly fine playing on the numpad and with no tooltips, cause you know everything by heart by now,
truth is, it coule really use some modern convenience.

They would probably slap lots of 3d and honeycombs on it, because teh future.

Nevill

Arcane
But it doesn't support 1366 x 768 resolution, tho.
Yep. A major pain, that, since one of the laptops I play it on has exactly that resolution.

However, it supports 1360 x 768 (in general, it only supports the resolutions where both numbers are divisible by 8), so I suggest you try that instead. You can make a separate videocard profile just for playing SMAC.

Nevill

Arcane
Doesn't using resolutions below your lcd monitor causes it to deteriorate?
Uh... no?

Nevill, does PRACX work ok with SMAC + Kyrub's patch? I think it may help me, could be wrong tho.
I don't know. I asked the question on the forums.

SMAC's system where all you need to become bros with Planet is to choose Green economy seems primitive by comparison.
No, all you need in SMAC is Hybrid forests and a lot of bases.

Spoken as Miriam who is running FM, has every possible tile of the land Boreholed with -4 PLANET rating, and does not suffer from the eco-damage.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
open-smac could be cool, but I doubt it will happen.

Any attempt at a commercial HD re-release would likely end in tears.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom