Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Do you think it's possible to create a FUN educational game?

Faarbaute

Arbiter
All games are educational, granted you don't intentionally fill your game with misleading nonsense.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
There was also Exodus. It was sort of a Christian trivia game with arcade gameplay. You control Moses, shoot enemies, collects pots and answer questions about Christianity.

exodus-journey-to-the-promised-land_1.png
exodus-journey-to-the-promised-land_2.png
exodus-journey-to-the-promised-land_3.png
exodus-journey-to-the-promised-land_4.png
exodus-journey-to-the-promised-land_5.png
exodus-journey-to-the-promised-land_6.png
exodus-journey-to-the-promised-land_8.png

I had this on the NES, it actually gets balls to the walls hard later. You also get driven completely insane by the song "Father Abraham"

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Games can be good for engaging abstract thinking, strategic planning, etc. but they're inefficient for teaching things like history. You'd learn much more on history by reading books, researching sources and so on. Still games can be useful for getting people interested in new subjects.
Not true at all. I learned a ton about history from playing Civilization II, for example the American invasion of Byzantium in 3000BC, or the time Gandhi nuked Moscow.

Victor1234

Educated
Nothing wrong with dropping loads of history into games. I'd say A Legionary's Life is borderline educational with the way it covers the Second punic war from the view of a soldier starting with quelling the uprising in Hispania, marching on Carthage and finishing in Greece (I hope he announces his next game soon). The journal excerpts from Russian and German soldiers in Red Orchestra 2's loading screens really did a much better job of painting a picture of Stalingrad better than any movie on the subject (Russian ones are particularly bad). Newsreal footage being inserted into war games: flightsims, strategy games, shooters, et cetera is always nice to have.

Outside of the historical games edutainment is sadly almost entirely aimed at 5-10 year olds. That's not to say kid's games can't be good; I quite enjoyed The Castle of Dr. Brain and the previously mentioned Encarta as a young lad.
Big yes to Legionary Life! I read an obscure history book from Martin van Creveld in the late 90's that describes the Roman rotation system (dude at the front fighting rotates back to the end, fresh dude steps up to face tired enemy). Aside from the opening scene of HBO's Rome and Legionary Life, I haven't seen it used anywhere else.

Edit: I think the actual Latin for it is mutatio ordinis, but don't quote me on that.

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Games can be good for engaging abstract thinking, strategic planning, etc. but they're inefficient for teaching things like history. You'd learn much more on history by reading books, researching sources and so on. Still games can be useful for getting people interested in new subjects.
Not true at all. I learned a ton about history from playing Civilization II, for example the American invasion of Byzantium in 3000BC, or the time Gandhi nuked Moscow.
angrygandhi.jpg

Pocgels

Scholar
When I was in 9th grade, I got a 80% on the pre-test for my world history course basically because I read the flavor text and encyclopedia entries in total war games.
Morrowind helped my understand the frustration of a country occupied by a foreign imperialist government.
Crusader Kings 2 let me understand why monarchs often put their immediate family to death.

TV and Books can't compete with the level of empathy a well-made video game can. There is really something to the agency given to you in a game that a story lacks - YOU decided to wipe out that religion because it was causing you problems. And when you start to see the world in that way, your understanding (and interest) benefits in turn.

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
No one mentioned Mind Maze really? This game shipped with the Microsoft Encarta CD (a kind of early digital encyclopedia). In this game you explore a castle by answering questions.

mindmaze_1.jpg

mindmaze_2.jpg

mindmaze_3.jpg

mindmaze_4.jpg

mindmaze_5.jpg

mindmaze_6.jpg

8EDx2Sp.jpg
Yes! Thanks, this is quite similar to what I had in mind... yes, yes, excellent.

Blutwurstritter

Learned
You could learn about energy saving already back in 1993 by playing the Energie-Manager on Amiga, by Rauser Advertainment GmbH and publisehd by the Bundesministerium fĂĽr Wirtschaft und Technologie. Its a highly educational German game. It took me a while to remember the name and I no longer remember why I played it as kid, but you had to manage a restaurants and in particular the facilities and the interior. Starting with buying a property and a house, employees and then all the machines required. I think you lost very quickly by running out of money unless you bought the energy saving dishwashers and ovens, sanitary facilities, etc. Great game! With a whopping 100% education and 100% fun!

energie-manager_3.gif

energie-manager_4.gif

energie-manager_6.gif

energie-manager_5.gif

https://www.myabandonware.com/game/energie-manager-1uy

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
No one mentioned Mind Maze really? This game shipped with the Microsoft Encarta CD (a kind of early digital encyclopedia). In this game you explore a castle by answering questions.

mindmaze_1.jpg

mindmaze_2.jpg

mindmaze_3.jpg

mindmaze_4.jpg

mindmaze_5.jpg

mindmaze_6.jpg

8EDx2Sp.jpg
Yes! Thanks, this is quite similar to what I had in mind... yes, yes, excellent.

It looked like a blobber and had a dungeon map. It also had torches (lives) you could run out.

bionicman

Liturgist
To me, video games are a lot more than just entertainment. I wouldn't be half the man I am today were it not for them. I've learned philosophy, strategic thinking, solving and dealing with all sorts of problems, both logical and social in nature. I've learned English, I've become quicker, smarter... and my love for video games translated into learning how to use computers, and then eventually to code. Basically, video games made me!

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Civ taught me history, sim city taught me city planning; EA taught me that humanity is doomed.

Hobknobling

Learned

Multimedia-CDs had a huge positive impact on my interest on learning. It is sad that nothing like this exists anymore. The skeuomorphic menus and the illustrations alone are so much better than anything you can find today that it is fucking embarrassing how much we have regressed.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I think people underestimate the wonders a well recreated historical world can do in terms of education. Books can tell you the events and thoughts of a time period, but a good recreation can show you how a people lived. A lot of '90s games did this pretty well, even if they're showing their age.

I also think using video games as an aid to learn a language is underutilized. It gives a pretty good target for comprehension and hides the "grinding" of learning a language fairly well. It worked judging by how many people around here can speak English. Some better than others, of course.

I think people underestimate the wonders a well recreated historical world can do in terms of education. Books can tell you the events and thoughts of a time period, but a good recreation can show you how a people lived. A lot of '90s games did this pretty well, even if they're showing their age.

I also think using video games as an aid to learn a language is underutilized. It gives a pretty good target for comprehension and hides the "grinding" of learning a language fairly well. It worked judging by how many people around here can speak English. Some better than others, of course.
I could only think of this game while reading this post

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
Agreed, the trouble is, the game has to be so desirable that people will actually go through the pains of language learning to be able to play it. That age is past, I think - nowadays, games are so widely available, and so many to choose from, that people would probably just walk away from your game if they don't undestand the language it's in.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Many kids learned English by playing adventure games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom