Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Does anyone here like Numenera?

• Thread starter Deleted Member 16721
  • Start date

Deleted Member 16721

Seriously, there's got to be some of you here that liked Numenera, right? One person maybe? Anyone?

I like Numenera and am going to replay it soon. What I liked about it was the alien world to explore. The setting is pretty neat and the game is like playing a good book. The skill checks can also be interesting and there's lots of weird gadgets and encounters to toy with.

Let me know what you like about the game below. Also, let me know, with details, why you didn't like it. I'm curious why it got such a bad rap as I thought it was very close overall in feel to PS:T.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Pro: The setting was pretty good, there were good quests, the graphics are neat (except they did fuck up the portraits).

Con: Too much filler text, passing skill checks was too easy, the combat kind of sucked, the companions were mediocre (I wanted to recruit that cursed guy).

Deleted Member 16721

Pro: The setting was pretty good, there were good quests, the graphics are neat.

Con: Too much filler text, passing skill checks was too easy, the combat kind of sucked, the companions were mediocre (I wanted to recruit that cursed guy).

Hmm, I agree with your pros. As for too much filler, I like the amount of text in the game, since it mostly focuses on things in the environment and backstory/lore of the world. Passing skill checks was pretty easy but I recall missing several of them the first time through, trying to conserve points. The combat was meh, the crises were cool but the combat itself was just average I'd say - not bad, not great. I liked the companions, Rhin and Oom were my favorite.

Different strokes for different folks. Glad to see a few people got something good out of the game though. :)

Insert Title Here
As with PoE, there was some neat stuff in there, but at some point I just lost interest and never bothered to finish it.

How far did you get?

It's been a while so can't remember exactly, but according to Steam I played it for about 30 hours, which is more than I would have guessed. I might give it another chance some day in the far, far future.

Deleted Member 16721

It's been a while so can't remember exactly, but according to Steam I played it for about 30 hours, which is more than I would have guessed. I might give it another chance some day in the far, far future.

You should! I logged 78 hours (read all of the text out loud in a vidya Let's Play, yeesh) and I actually wanted to immediately do a second run! It's really good.

I'm going to like it when I'm old, decrepit and wasting away. I might do two runs! 2080 goty

Why wait so long? You're probably pretty decrepit now, at least give it your first run??

Funposter

Arcane
Even Oblivion got a vote in the latest Top 101 PC RPGs, while Torment didn't. Let that sink in. Am I correct in saying that it's the only prominent title from the wave of Kickstarter CRPGs to not make the list in any fashion?

Deleted Member 16721

Even Oblivion got a vote in the latest Top 101 PC RPGs, while Torment didn't. Let that sink in. Am I correct in saying that it's the only prominent title from the wave of Kickstarter CRPGs to not make the list in any fashion?

That was not a very fun post, Funposter . :negative:

Both Oblivion and Torment are good games, but I want to discuss Tides in this thread. Why do people not like it? Where are the people who DO like it? Speak up, y'all! :)

Funposter

Arcane

That was not a very fun post, Funposter . :negative:

Both Oblivion and Torment are good games, but I want to discuss Tides in this thread. Why do people not like it? Where are the people who DO like it? Speak up, y'all! :)

Oblivion's quality is not the point of the post, merely its reputation as the harbinger of decline among Codex posters. And it still got a vote.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
When I want to read a book, I can just do that. When I play a game, I want it to have gameplay. Tworment makes you go through many hours of reading between moments of actually getting to play the game, and the reading isn't interesting. The setting fails because every square foot of it is screaming "hey look at how weird this thing is", and when everything is weird the weird becomes mundane. It doesn't feel like a world people live in, it feels like a creative writing major has cornered you and is now assaulting you with every idea he's ever come up with.

Deleted Member 16721

When I want to read a book, I can just do that. When I play a game, I want it to have gameplay. Tworment makes you go through many hours of reading between moments of actually getting to play the game, and the reading isn't interesting. The setting fails because every square foot of it is screaming "hey look at how weird this thing is", and when everything is weird the weird becomes mundane. It doesn't feel like a world people live in, it feels like a creative writing major has cornered you and is now assaulting you with every idea he's ever come up with.

But that's just the thing - the setting is fantastic, weird, original, CRAZY. Doesn't that inspire some wonder in you? Some excitement? I for one welcome a new setting that is fantastic because it's a huge change from the stuff we're used to. NPCs give you strange encounters that can end in a myriad of ways. You can toy with gadgets in the environment, strange alien things, play with inventory items. It's a setting made for a kid with childlike wonder. They labored and loved this game. It's made for an adult who still loves video games.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
I fucking loved it and even consider it superior to the original in many respects. Not joking here. I was even considering making a lengthy thread about it, but I really can't devote that much time to Codex shit anymore.

I think the way Inxile treated the Codex over the Gamescom thing predisposed a lot of Codexers towards not liking the game. It certainly didn't help for the game's reception. Then there was PrimeJunta's overwhelming negative review, which is one of the worst-written reviews on this site.

Nostalgia too, of course.

I also consider New Vegas to be the best Fallout game, not simply the best of the "new generation."

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

Deleted Member 16721

Which would you rather do:
Play Tides
or
Eat Tide (Pods)

I fucking loved it and even consider it superior to the original in many respects. Not joking here. I was even considering making a lengthy thread about it, but I really can't devote that much time to Codex shit anymore.

I think the way Inxile treated the Codex over the Gamescom thing predisposed a lot of Codexers towards not liking the game. It certainly didn't help for the game's reception. Then there was PrimeJunta's overwhelming negative review, which is one of the worst-written reviews on this site.

Nostalgia too, of course.

I also consider New Vegas to be the best Fallout game, not simply the best of the "new generation."

My brother, I love you, come here. :love:I agree 100% with what you said (didn't read the Junta review, though.) But I know the reception was bad and there was heavy bias against the game from the Codex. People went in saying they weren't going to like it. I fucking loved it as well my friend. Brofist for you.

you had me in firs thalf, not gonna lie.
Thought im experiencing first game you dont like for a sec

No, it's not a Spiders game. :)

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Numanuma had some good moments and brilliant quests, but overall it was underwhelming in almost every aspect important to RPG. Cherrypicking rare moments of quality out of the mountain of bad shit won't change that.

And yes, Inxile's behavior only helped to secure TTON's legacy as a complete disaster, but that's not my fucking problem, ain't it? They were lying through their teeth all throughout the production and abandoned a broken game after the launch. Fuck em.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom