Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Torment Does anyone here like Numenera?

Discussion in 'inXile Entertainment' started by Deleted Member 16721, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Seriously, there's got to be some of you here that liked Numenera, right? One person maybe? Anyone?

I like Numenera and am going to replay it soon. What I liked about it was the alien world to explore. The setting is pretty neat and the game is like playing a good book. The skill checks can also be interesting and there's lots of weird gadgets and encounters to toy with.

Let me know what you like about the game below. Also, let me know, with details, why you didn't like it. I'm curious why it got such a bad rap as I thought it was very close overall in feel to PS:T.

• No x 15
    • Yes x 5
    • Shit x 4
    • meh x 3
    • retadred x 3
    • Disagree x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Participation Award x 1
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • STOP! posting x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. oldmanpaco Master of Siestas

oldmanpaco
    I liked that the butt pirate was an actual pirate.

• Funny Funny x 8
    • nice nice x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. That's a start I guess.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. RickOmbo Learned

RickOmbo
    I hate you for liking it.

• Funny x 6
    • Yes x 3
    • Friendly x 3
    • Balanced x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Rage x 1
    • Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Come on guys, why do you think it's so bad? It's a GOOD game, I swear!

• retadred x 7
    • Agree x 3
    • STOP! posting x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • No x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Don't hate me bro, I love you. Spread Love, not hate. <3

• retadred x 3
    • Friendly x 2
    • cuck x 2
    • Up Yours x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Adidas-Clichèd Cringe Learned Patron

Adidas-Clichèd Cringe
    As with PoE, there was some neat stuff in there, but at some point I just lost interest and never bothered to finish it.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • meh meh x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Fedora Master Arcane Patron

Fedora Master

• Despair Despair x 1
    • M'lady M'lady x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. How far did you get?

^ Top  
  10. Lady Error █▓▒░ ░▒▓█ Patron Literally Hitler

Lady Error
    Pro: The setting was pretty good, there were good quests, the graphics are neat (except they did fuck up the portraits).

Con: Too much filler text, passing skill checks was too easy, the combat kind of sucked, the companions were mediocre (I wanted to recruit that cursed guy).

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Balanced Balanced x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Hmm, I agree with your pros. As for too much filler, I like the amount of text in the game, since it mostly focuses on things in the environment and backstory/lore of the world. Passing skill checks was pretty easy but I recall missing several of them the first time through, trying to conserve points. The combat was meh, the crises were cool but the combat itself was just average I'd say - not bad, not great. I liked the companions, Rhin and Oom were my favorite.

Different strokes for different folks. Glad to see a few people got something good out of the game though. :)

^ Top  
  12. Adidas-Clichèd Cringe Learned Patron

Adidas-Clichèd Cringe
    It's been a while so can't remember exactly, but according to Steam I played it for about 30 hours, which is more than I would have guessed. I might give it another chance some day in the far, far future.

^ Top  
  13. HeatEXTEND Cipher Patron

HeatEXTEND
    I'm going to like it when I'm old, decrepit and wasting away. I might do two runs! 2080 goty

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. You should! I logged 78 hours (read all of the text out loud in a vidya Let's Play, yeesh) and I actually wanted to immediately do a second run! It's really good.

Why wait so long? You're probably pretty decrepit now, at least give it your first run??

• Shit x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Bad Spelling x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Funposter Savant

Funposter
    Even Oblivion got a vote in the latest Top 101 PC RPGs, while Torment didn't. Let that sink in. Am I correct in saying that it's the only prominent title from the wave of Kickstarter CRPGs to not make the list in any fashion?

• Yes Yes x 2
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. That was not a very fun post, Funposter . :negative:

Both Oblivion and Torment are good games, but I want to discuss Tides in this thread. Why do people not like it? Where are the people who DO like it? Speak up, y'all! :)

• FAKE NEWS x 2
    • decline x 1
    • No x 1
    • STOP! posting x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Funposter Savant

Funposter
    Oblivion's quality is not the point of the post, merely its reputation as the harbinger of decline among Codex posters. And it still got a vote.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Night Goat The Immovable Autism Patron No Fun Allowed

Night Goat
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014
    When I want to read a book, I can just do that. When I play a game, I want it to have gameplay. Tworment makes you go through many hours of reading between moments of actually getting to play the game, and the reading isn't interesting. The setting fails because every square foot of it is screaming "hey look at how weird this thing is", and when everything is weird the weird becomes mundane. It doesn't feel like a world people live in, it feels like a creative writing major has cornered you and is now assaulting you with every idea he's ever come up with.

• Brofist x 7
    • Funny x 4
    • nice x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. But that's just the thing - the setting is fantastic, weird, original, CRAZY. Doesn't that inspire some wonder in you? Some excitement? I for one welcome a new setting that is fantastic because it's a huge change from the stuff we're used to. NPCs give you strange encounters that can end in a myriad of ways. You can toy with gadgets in the environment, strange alien things, play with inventory items. It's a setting made for a kid with childlike wonder. They labored and loved this game. It's made for an adult who still loves video games.

• No x 3
    • FAKE NEWS x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Wunderbar Arcane

Wunderbar
    there is a proper Tides thread for this.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Fedora Master Arcane Patron

Fedora Master
    Which would you rather do:
    Play Tides
    or
    Eat Tide (Pods)

• Balanced Balanced x 2
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Think big! Smoking Dicks

Think big!
    I fucking loved it and even consider it superior to the original in many respects. Not joking here. I was even considering making a lengthy thread about it, but I really can't devote that much time to Codex shit anymore.

I think the way Inxile treated the Codex over the Gamescom thing predisposed a lot of Codexers towards not liking the game. It certainly didn't help for the game's reception. Then there was PrimeJunta's overwhelming negative review, which is one of the worst-written reviews on this site.

Nostalgia too, of course.

I also consider New Vegas to be the best Fallout game, not simply the best of the "new generation."

• WTF am I reading x 7
    • retadred x 3
    • Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • No x 1
    • STOP! posting x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. lukaszek the determinator

lukaszek
    you had me in firs thalf, not gonna lie.
    Thought im experiencing first game you dont like for a sec

^ Top  
  24. ...

My brother, I love you, come here. :love:I agree 100% with what you said (didn't read the Junta review, though.) But I know the reception was bad and there was heavy bias against the game from the Codex. People went in saying they weren't going to like it. I fucking loved it as well my friend. Brofist for you.

No, it's not a Spiders game. :)

• Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. IHaveHugeNick Arcane

IHaveHugeNick
    Numanuma had some good moments and brilliant quests, but overall it was underwhelming in almost every aspect important to RPG. Cherrypicking rare moments of quality out of the mountain of bad shit won't change that.

And yes, Inxile's behavior only helped to secure TTON's legacy as a complete disaster, but that's not my fucking problem, ain't it? They were lying through their teeth all throughout the production and abandoned a broken game after the launch. Fuck em.

• Brofist x 5
    • Agree x 2
    • Salute x 2
    • Participation Award x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.