Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Does Arcanum's combat become more fun at higher levels?

Arryosha

Learned
I've tried several times to get into the game, but each time I get turned off by the combat early on. Even in turn-based mode, it feels like Ultima VII combat. I doubt it becomes less of a cluster-f later on (based on let's plays I've watched), but I think I could deal with it if I thought combat would become more interesting or rewarding at higher levels (e.g., through an increase in tactical possibilities), which seems possible given the interesting array of skills available. I would be happy if at least some of the time I could come away from combat encounters feeling as if I'd actually achieved something by using my wits and having properly developed my character.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
The combat system gets worse at higher levels. And the combat encounter design gets worse, too.

In fact, Arcanum in general deteriorates post-Tarant.

Tigranes

Arcane
Specifically, depending on the build & difficulty etc., the early game can sometimes feel like a random slog of misses, haywire molotovs and not so much scarce as nonexistent resources. You might have half a mana potion and one bullet to rub between the balls. If that's what's frustrating you, it certainly does get better.

The fundamental jankiness of the system doesn't change, but I'd argue that tech/gunslinger is a nice experience not easily found elsewhere.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
It's physically impossible for gunfighting to be good in a game with preindustrial to industrial firearms progression yet no reloading.

It takes special kind of brain damage to develop such a game after previously making Fallouts (which HAD reload mechanics).

:nocountryforshitposters:

Fallout gun design was good (bonus for the upgrades), guns sounds effects and impacts were great but that's it.

The only thing that made fallout combat fun is playing a crit build, for the gore scenes and sound effects.

So, it seems quite natural they'd go for yet another gimped combat system.
Trouble is the sound effects are far from Fallout quality in Arcanum and the gore scenes aren't as good either.

Of course, it'd have been great if they could improve their combat system but they just didn't have it in them.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's physically impossible for gunfighting to be good in a game with preindustrial to industrial firearms progression yet no reloading.

It takes special kind of brain damage to develop such a game after previously making Fallouts (which HAD reload mechanics).

Reloading would just make an already lousy weapon-type even worse to play.

Sykar

Arcane
Say what you want, but persuasion time mage was a blast. 5 followers, Worthless Mutt dog, summons, Tempus Fugit, Haste on Worthless Mutt/Sogg and watch them tear shit apart in 2 rounds. Hell summons are overkill. Magnus, Virgil, Raven, Sogg and Loghaine together with WM just destroy entire maps while TF is active.

DraQ

Arcane
:nocountryforshitposters:

Fallout gun design was good (bonus for the upgrades), guns sounds effects and impacts were great but that's it.

The only thing that made fallout combat fun is playing a crit build, for the gore scenes and sound effects.
Yeah so? can you show me where do you think the quality of Fallout's combat is in any way relevant to what I wrote?

Reloading would just make an already lousy weapon-type even worse to play.
Yes if the game would otherwise be exactly the same it would play in exactly the same (shit) way! Who would have thunk?

Egosphere

Arcane
5 followers

just?

HtLMBbb.png

Wunderbar

Arcane
Reloading would've created a difference between single-shot weapons and repeaters, giving some build variety (like slow sniper vs rapid-firing cowboy, etc).

Wunderbar

Arcane
Reloading would've created a difference between single-shot weapons and repeaters, giving some build variety (like slow sniper vs rapid-firing cowboy, etc).
This is reflected in the weapon speed.
weapon speed reflects rate of fire. Reloading makes your character vulnerable after emptying magazine, which deepens the combat.
Currently it's all about DPS.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
weapon speed reflects rate of fire. Reloading makes your character vulnerable after emptying magazine, which deepens the combat.
Currently it's all about DPS.
Gunslingers already have enough disadvantages compared to spells and melee.

DraQ

Arcane
You were the one bringing Fallout to the party.
I mentioned that after making one game with reloads and ammo capacity you have no excuse making another without, especially if reloading and capacity are going to be the most important differences between firearms in this game.

I mean what kind of brain can house the thought process of "let's make a fantasy game set in the middle of industrial revolution, where the player is likely to be upgrading from flintlock pistol to six-shooter at some point so let's ditch reloading and ammo capacity"?

Having implemented both in previous games too.

I mean six-shooter - it's in a fucking name!

And brain damage too, now i think of it ...
And how prophetic it turned out to be.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom