Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dom4 - Decline 5 - raw's silliness

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Meh, Sceleria, so much loud words.
And now game is over.
Yeah, well, did not have that imminent loss in mind when I sent my heroic barbarian.
I'll attack now, promised.

Dayyālu

Arcane
And so, even Decline5 ends up far too soon? Disciple games are indeed fast in their resolution. The Commies won? Some history? Maps for us heathens?

C'mon, people, time for variety. Join Decline6 and let's make four teams!

KoolNoodles

Arcane
I'll put a map up tonight of what I see before it ends w/ some commentary, because we have about a 5% chance of delaying the inevitable.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, some mistakes were made, but mostly I feel that our capitalist strategy of relying on T/L did not work out. At all. Seriously, the events we got...
Add to that an unfavorable throne distribution (2 of which UW where we had no real access).

If Asphodel was not doing as splendid as it did, things would probably look even worse for us :lol:
Our choice of nations was probably not optimal, either.

For me personally, I feel screwed by being sent against Arco, who kills all of my mages with "magic duel chaff".
Really, all other opponents would have been easier for me. I cannot bless my undead without priests who are also S mages ;)
Which I could solve, eventually, but not this early into the game.

Last edited:

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Our choice of nations was probably not optimal, either.

Oh, you think so?:lol:

raw, you should tell me sometime which one of your buttcheeks made decisions about your nations. As for Team capitalists general perfomance, you were all way too passive, except for Asphodel. We were aiming for defensive play, taking just E4 bless and going all-scales. While you took W9N9, and were supposed to rush-attack. Time was working against you.

Sceleria could cause much trouble, but never even attempted to attack Arcos. Which was perfectly fine for us. Arcos took the Great Sage, research-rushed Evo6 (Wrath of God), then went for Thaum7 (Mind Hunt; Vengeful Water). His army holed up in the cap, protecting Great Sage and Astrologers. Sceleria was dancing around, but never attacked.

I had a horribru starting position, and additionally lost momentum due to that stale in early game. Mictlan had all the means to obliterate my nation. But instead he moved his armies in unknown direction, and exposed himself before my own forces.

Vanheim was criminally passive. I mean, really. His perfomance is a crime.

RAW C'TIS was out-played by Nazca. All Lizzurd's maneuvres were all his own ideas, I have nothing to do with it.

As for my team, I can't really criticize anybody. You all performed well, komrades, and did what you were supposed to do.
- Ulm provided with Dwarven Hammers, and ENDURED the fight with capitalist's most experienced player;
- Arcos made that WoG happen and was ready to add Vengeful Water and Mind Hunt spam if the game was longer;
- R'lyeh DOMINATED all underwater turf;
- Nazca backed us all up, and kept capitalist leader quarantined;
- I was drinking' through the whole gaem and let SLAV! spirit guide my hand.

Anyway, gg. A refreshing 30-turn experience.

Now back to Decline 2
:negative:

KoolNoodles

Arcane
We did also kinda mess up our Pretender choice, because Muty missed a bit at the end of our team chat. Imprisoned with better scales(and double bless) would have served us much better(Looking at you, magic scale +1).

But yeah, T/L for the most part did not serve us well, and at best has been a wash. I kind of knew this, from the rumblings on various forums O3 seems to be the "optimal" scale(guaranteed gold), but we had to role-play a bit right??

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
but we had to role-play a bit right??

Of course! This game was all about roleplay! And in that regard, you did perfectly well.

0_e02f8_653d523f_XL.png

KoolNoodles

Arcane
As for Team capitalists general perfomance, you were all way too passive

Completely agree there. We went double bless, ok. And in the beginning people weren't recruiting sacred troops. And then later people weren't sending them out with priests.

I think during year one I cried at least a few times every turn. Well, we live we learn. Most people on here are pretty new(including myself in the grand scheme, haven't played much since D2). It's all good fun though. Disciples games certainly can be a great teaching tool.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Here you go lurkers. Wraparound makes things kind of insane, so work out the details yourself. All the thrones should be there. This was taken a while before final orders. Apologies for not cropping, but laziness took over.

OFuWBMG.jpg

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Sceleria could cause much trouble, but never even attempted to attack Arcos. Which was perfectly fine for us. Arcos took the Great Sage, research-rushed Evo6 (Wrath of God), then went for Thaum7 (Mind Hunt; Vengeful Water). His army holed up in the cap, protecting Great Sage and Astrologers. Sceleria was dancing around, but never attacked.
Obviously, I did not attack, but for a good reason. Arco's troops are pretty good, so I needed more numbers. Plus I expected massive solar rays and/or priests, so I needed even more numbers.
And I never quite trusted those fragile Shadow Vestals, which was probably a mistake.

When Arco annihilated my small expansion party with mind duel, I was a bit at a loss, as there is no good strategy against that.
So I had to prepare for that by massing my own mages (the only S2 mages I have are STR and cap only...). Which I did, but my barbarian scout saw far more mages than what I had.
Attacking would mean I lose probably all of them, including my disciple, without certain victory, and with all my mages lost after the battle so I could not reanimate nor lead any undead even if I won.

Sceleria relies mainly on snowballing, and killing the mages nukes that pretty well ;)

Plan B was to dry out Arco and then just send wave after wave into the cap. But yeah, game over before that.

Last edited:

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
You could use Sphinx for auto-bless, there was no need to rely on Thaumaturgs for that. Arcos has good recruitables, but most of them have nothing against ethereal W9N9 Shadow Vestals.

Ulm was working out in his forgery to spam equip for Arcos anti-Vestal thugs (neutral Mt. Commanders with Holy Scourge + Burining Pearl + random fire/earth armor sets). But before Arcos amassed a shitton of these, he had no good counter against your sacreds. I was speculating that a grand amount of Chariots could probably pwn Shadow Vestals as well, but wasn't too eager to bet on that.

Plus I expected massive solar rays

Solar Rays have aoe 1 - that's nothing.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Arco troops are horrid shit, you should have easily annihilated him with some undead chaff to shield your vestals from counters.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
You could use Sphinx for auto-bless,
Wut?
Does a disciple in a battle automatically bless all troops?
Blessing was not a problem, though. One Grand Thaum is enough to bless the whole battlefield.
Used my mages for undead power-ups, fright & decay mostly. My research sucked horribly, I was not even at Constr. 4 at the end, which I would have needed to truly start snowballing.

Arcos has good recruitables, but most of them have nothing against ethereal W9N9 Shadow Vestals.
Yes, I really did not put enough faith in my Vestals.

Solar Rays have aoe 1 - that's nothing.
Oh...

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
What else would I use it for, though?
It is not SC material at all. Low protection, mediocre combat stats, no slots for equipment, low HP outside of own dominion, no recuperation.
With some spells, that would have worked, but again, horrible research.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
It is not SC material at all. Low protection, mediocre combat stats, no slots for equipment, low HP outside of own dominion, no recuperation.

If you pardon me asking, why did you take it in the first place?

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Since raw never really used his lizards in a big battle, and now I've set them up in a position to fight: I hope either he attacks or Nazca attacks him and we see what happens.

I guess next time if I'm on a team that goes W9N9 I'll just all caps into chat every turn "USE SACREDS ONLY GOOD GOD PLEASE"

panda

Savant
Meh, Sceleria, so much loud words.
And now game is over.
Yeah, well, did not have that imminent loss in mind when I sent my heroic barbarian.
I'll attack now, promised.
Too late. Too late.
I'll take last throne instead of fighting with you now. Not like it matter though.

You biggest mistake was not recruiting indy priests. Idk, maybe you did not have those provinces with them, but animating with thaumaturgs just slowly kills yourself.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron

If you pardon me asking, why did you take it in the first place?
We needed one disciple with good S capabilities.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
You biggest mistake was not recruiting indy priests. Idk, maybe you did not have those provinces with them, but animating with thaumaturgs just slowly kills yourself.
I had some, but what for? They are H1, so even if I used them for reanimation (which I was not aware I could do, actually, thought that was an attribute of Thaumaturgs), it would suck horribly.
Obviously, I would not use thaumaturgs for reanimation if need them for some ritual.

But sending some thaums with an army to refresh any losses, or (in most cases) actually increase the size of your army in the field is pretty great. We are talking about 16+ units per thaumaturg here, or 24+ for grand ones.

What do you think made my army so big? Not the few roman soldiers or vestals ;)

panda

Savant
I had some, but what for? They are H1, so even if I used them for reanimation (which I was not aware I could do, actually, thought that was an attribute of Thaumaturgs), it would suck horribly.
Ehm, no.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom