Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dominions 4 - Grim Antiquity

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Berytos is obviously Carthage but it sucks in a low magic game since it only shines late game. But well that may fit.

The problem is in EA human nations have mystic components like colossi and stuff like that. In MA its less prevalent.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Yeah, but MA lacks the antiquity touch. You got Arco, Ctis, Machaka and maybe Pythium, and then the very medieval stuff like Ulm, Marignon and Man.

Celts in (Marverni), but nations from their mythology out (TNN, Fomoria). That's ok.
Could do same with Germanic tribes as Ulm in, but the 'Heims from their mythology out.
By same reasoning Pangaea would be out (Greek mythology), but you could argue that Greek whatever is rather central to world of antiquity and include them anyway.

Hinnom as Levantine tribes? Gath would be better, but it's wrong age. How about mixing and matching different ages?

Mraston

Learned
Celts in (Marverni), but nations from their mythology out (TNN, Fomoria). That's ok.
Could do same with Germanic tribes as Ulm in, but the 'Heims from their mythology out.
By same reasoning Pangaea would be out (Greek mythology), but you could argue that Greek whatever is rather central to world of antiquity and include them anyway.

Hinnom as Levantine tribes? Gath would be better, but it's wrong age. How about mixing and matching different ages?

Bertyos (Carthage) [Don't know why i didn't pick that] is out, mostly because Ermor (Rome) is out. I was thinking Pre-Rome Classical Antiquity.

Ulm and other Nordic mythologies feel too late for me. Celts as general north west barbarians seems to work

Also, I'm going to remove Pangea.

I feel like I could put Hinnom in now though.

Also, I don't mind sparing magic/magical units. I was hoping for them to come into play, but be relatively rare and awe inspiring.

Updated Nation List, Early Age:

Arcoscephale ≈Greeks
Marverni ≈ Celtic Gauls (General NW Barbarians)
Sauromatia ≈ Scythian Amazons
Machaka ≈ Numidia
C’tis ≈ Egypt
Hinnom ≈ Levantine tribes

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
I was thinking Pre-Rome Classical Antiquity.
Updated Nation List, Early Age:

Arcoscephale ≈Greeks
Marverni ≈ Celtic Gauls (General NW Barbarians)
Sauromatia ≈ Scythian Amazons
Machaka ≈ Numidia
C’tis ≈ Egypt
Hinnom ≈ Levantine tribes

6 nations demand a relatively small map. Around 80-100 provinces. What size is your map? The link you provided is broken, and the author says it has custom starts scripted for custom nations. So that map needs to be found AND re-scripted.

Mraston

Learned
jlKPD86.jpg

Mraston

Learned
6 nations demand a relatively small map. Around 80-100 provinces. What size is your map? The link you provided is broken, and the author says it has custom starts scripted for custom nations. So that map needs to be found AND re-scripted.

There's another link to the map, third post down.

Can any one re-script custom starts. I have no idea how to.

Johannes

Arcane
Berytos isn't simply Carthage but Phoenicians in a wider sense. And it's not really a top nation in this setting, Sauromatia and Pangaea are scarier.

Mraston

Learned
I would add the new Therodos or whatever it's called too. And Ur maybe.

I'm getting a Fallen Atlantis vibe from Therodos. How do we all feel about that?

The island on the North East of the map looks like the spot for a final nation...

Mraston

Learned
Berytos isn't simply Carthage but Phoenicians in a wider sense. And it's not really a top nation in this setting, Sauromatia and Pangaea are scarier.

That considered I would re-include Berytos. I need one more nation.

Mraston

Learned
No prob, just tell me which nations you wanna see in which provinces. Downloaded the map, looks legit.

Awesoume!

Do you know how to change what independents occur/can be recruited?

Would be good to remove all of the magical recruits (especially aquatic units).

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Do you know how to change what independents occur/can be recruited?

Would be good to remove all of the magical recruits (especially aquatic units).

I can script specific poptypes, sure. But... 144+23 provinces.

:negative:

It isn't possible to "forbid" magical recruits, but instead you need to specify non-magical poptypes in every single province. What exactly do you want to see?

Nbr Poptype
25 Barbarians
26 Horse Tribe
27 Militia, Archers, Hvy Inf
28 Militia, Archers, Hvy Inf
29 Militia, Archers, Hvy Inf
30 Militia, Longbow, Knight
31 Tritons
32 Lt Inf, Hvy Inf, X-Bow
33 Lt Inf, Hvy Inf, X-Bow
34 Raptors
35 Slingers
36 Lizards
37 Woodsmen
38 Hoburg
39 Militia, Archers, Lt Inf
40 Amazon, Crystal
41 Amazon, Garnet
42 Amazon, Jade
43 Amazon, Onyx
44 Troglodytes
45 Tritons, Shark Knights
46 Amber Clan Tritons
47 X-Bow, Hvy Cavalry
48 Militia, Lt Inf, Hvy Inf
49 Militia, Lt Inf, Hvy Inf
50 Militia, Lt Inf, Hvy Inf
51 Militia, Lt Cav, Hvy Cav
52 Militia, Lt Cav, Hvy Cav
53 Militia, Lt Cav, Hvy Cav
54 Hvy Inf, Hvy Cavalry
55 Hvy Inf, Hvy Cavalry
56 Hvy Inf, Hvy Cavalry
57 Shamblers
58 Lt Inf, Hvy Inf, X-Bow
59 Militia, Lt Inf, Archers
60 Militia, Lt Inf, Archers
61 Vaettir, Trolls
62 Tribals, Deer
63 Tritons
64 Tritons
65 Ichtyids
66 Vaettir
67 Vaettir, Dwarven Smith
68 Slingers, Hvy Inf, Elephants
69 Asmeg
70 Vaettir, Svartalf
71 Trolls
72 Mermen
73 Tritons, Triton Knights
74 Lt Inf, Lt Cav, Cataphracts
75 Hoburg, LA
76 Hoburg, EA
77 Atavi Apes
78 Tribals, Wolf
79 Tribals, Bear
80 Tribals, Lion
81 Pale Ones
82 Tribals, Jaguar
83 Tribals, Toad
84 Cavemen
85 Kappa
86 Bakemono
87 Bakemono
88 Ko-Oni
89 Fir Bolg
90 Turtle Tribe Tritons
91 Shark Tribe Tritons
92 Shark Tribe, Shark Riders
93 Zotz
94 Lava-born

Mraston

Learned
Nation Allocation: I'll randomly allocate nations when I get 7 confirmed players and nations.

Mraston

Learned
I can script specific poptypes, sure. But... 144+23 provinces.

:negative:

It isn't possible to "forbid" magical recruits, but instead you need to specify non-magical poptypes in every single province. What exactly do you want to see?

Could you eradicate the following? Or is it too hard?

31 Tritons
34 Raptors
38 Hoburg
44 Troglodytes
45 Tritons, Shark Knights
46 Amber Clan Tritons
57 Shamblers
61 Vaettir, Trolls
63 Tritons
64 Tritons
65 Ichtyids
66 Vaettir
67 Vaettir, Dwarven Smith
69 Asmeg
70 Vaettir, Svartalf
71 Trolls
72 Mermen
73 Tritons, Triton Knights
75 Hoburg, LA
76 Hoburg, EA
77 Atavi Apes
81 Pale Ones
85 Kappa
86 Bakemono
87 Bakemono
88 Ko-Oni
89 Fir Bolg
90 Turtle Tribe Tritons
91 Shark Tribe Tritons
92 Shark Tribe, Shark Riders
93 Zotz
94 Lava-born

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Could you eradicate the following? Or is it too hard?

It works a bit differently in Dom scripting. There is no such function as "eradicating", but I can go through all 167 provinces and hand-script specific poptypes in each (province 23 have barbs; province 44 has heavy cav, etc). But it will lead to some consequences.

1. Players will be like "FOOOKIN GRIMWOOLF, why do I have militia all around and Johannes has heavy cav?!"

2. Changing poptype doesn't change indy defenders that were initially assigned by random. E.g., if during initial turn zero generation RNG spammed Zotz - you will fight Zotz defenders. But after you conquer the province, you won't be able to recruit Zotz there - instead you will hire barbarians or whatever shit I scripted as poptype. There is a way to custom-script specific indy defenders, but once again - it needs to be hand-written for each and single province.

Just to be clear, I am not speaking about in-game map editor - it has barely any functions. Those scripts need to be written in notepad and take some time. But if you are cool with issues I mentioned, then lemme know - will try to implement it by tomorrow. It's not like I have a life anyway.

Mraston

Learned
It works a bit differently in Dom scripting. There is no such function as "eradicating", but I can go through all 167 provinces and hand-script specific poptypes in each (province 23 have barbs; province 44 has heavy cav, etc). But it will lead to some consequences.

1. Players will be like "FOOOKIN GRIMWOOLF, why do I have militia all around and Johannes has heavy cav?!"

2. Changing poptype doesn't change indy defenders that were initially assigned by random. E.g., if during initial turn zero generation RNG spammed Zotz - you will fight Zotz defenders. But after you conquer the province, you won't be able to recruit Zotz there - instead you will hire barbarians or whatever shit I scripted as poptype. There is a way to custom-script specific indy defenders, but once again - it needs to be hand-written for each and single province.

Just to be clear, I am not speaking about in-game map editor - it has barely any functions. Those scripts need to be written in notepad and take some time. But if you are cool with issues I mentioned, then lemme know - will try to implement it by tomorrow. It's not like I have a life anyway.

I'm cool with magical monsters being present on the earth, as long as they endangered species - never to be seen again once defeated.

Hows this for a crazy idea, just clear all recruiting for all provinces. Would that result in units only being recruited at fortifications? Would that be terrible or kind of cool?

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Hows this for a crazy idea, just clear all recruiting for all provinces. Would that result in units only being recruited at fortifications? Would that be terrible or kind of cool?

Techincally, it is very easy to implement. Much easier and faster than scripting custom poptypes. Basically, you fight indy defenders like usual, but won't be able to recruit anything in provinces - only national recruits will be availiable after you build a fort. Some nations have outside-of-forts recruits - these will be availiable too.

As for balance and such, idk man. Your game - your decision.

Mraston

Learned
Techincally, it is very easy to implement. Much easier and faster than scripting custom poptypes. Basically, you fight indy defenders like usual, but won't be able to recruit anything in provinces - only national recruits will be availiable after you build a fort. Some nations have outside-of-forts recruits - these will be availiable too.

As for balance and such, idk man. Your game - your decision.

I think I like the sound of it, lets go for that. You cool to do it?

Thanks for the technical know how btw!

If you use fixed starts, do note that that Uropia is Europe with east and west flipped. So Hinnom should probably be where you have marked Machaka and so on.

There's a mod for this already. 'No indy recruitment' or some other name close to that. I used it in singleplayer a lot at some point. Grimwulf doesn't have to do it by hand.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom