Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dominions 4 MP game thread

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
It's only turn 8, but we started to run into each other. I am thinking of decreasing the turn timer though, especially C'tis is always the last to send in (or not at all).

If someone (I'm looking at you Yomi) wants to help out against expansionist Kailasa which attacked me with no warning or reason I'd suggest stocking up on archers since Johannes didn't get air bless (which I find weird tbh, airshield is perfect for these guys, though I suppose my pretender could have been more thought out so pot calling kettle I guess since I'm already regretting not investing more into blood).

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
I think that's already taken care of. Not sure how much difference it will make for you though.

Johannes

Arcane
More like, anyone's pretty free to go and ream the asses of Yomi, Mictlan and Ur, since these fuckers have concentrated all of their (meagre) strength on my borders.

Soon they will pay.

Johannes

Arcane
Nah, my ass is still quite intact and I'm gonna keep it that way. You guys, on the other hand...

I'd rather keep the timer as it is, unless you're constantly available to extend it upon request from the 24h.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
I agree, 24h might be too few.

No one wants to fuck an Oni's ass...

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
JagreenLern, have you been sending turns in or are you stalling? If you can't play, you might consider turning AI.

Johannes

Arcane
I suppose it's late enough to give some rundown on the game without giving away too much war secrets.

I'm playing Kailasa, the monkey people ruled over by the Yakshas. I started the game with a Nataraja pretender, with Fire-4, Earth-5, and Astral-6 for magic. It's a bit of a multipurpose god, useful for discovering for magic sites, potentially for melee fighting, and for forging items and casting spells (most importantly it can forge the Ring of Sorcery and Ring of Wizardry, which boost all the magic levels of the person holding one, allowing me to reach a ton more different rituals than I otherwise could, and summoning up various national summons), and it also adds a light bless effect for my sacred troops and commanders (increases their attack skill, makes them reinvirogate, and ups their magic resistance). It starts the game sleeping for the first year before coming into use. This might sound very good but in practice you have to keep in mind, that the guy can only do 1 thing per turn so by aiming for so much stuff, I have to carefully decide what to do when with him.

I won't go too much into my expansion strategy, basically it's the sacred Yavana warriors led by a Yaksha mage-priest, and a armored ape warrior to decoy enemy archers.

I start a very early war with Ur, when they expand right into my face, had I not started a war at some direction my territory would've been quite meager. I have some decent success taking out the outlying provinces, and then a big battle at Gnome Peaks - which I will show here.

VTHIG7E.jpg

Formations at the start of the battle. There's the Ur-ian god wannabe, the moloch Cockroach, surrounded by his pet imps, a troop of basic Ur Spear Guards, and their archers armed with longbows, and some provincial local warriors. The Moloch doesn't have any items, nor awe (which pretenders always get if you buy your dominion score to 9-10 at design), so it's relying only on its high natural protection and its heat aura for defense.

On my side there's a good amount of the sacred Yavana warriors, 3 Yaksha mages, and some Bandar swordsmen for distraction purposes. The Yavanas have awe, which means an enemy must pass a morale check in order to attack them in melee. Now, the Moloch is such a good leader that the Ur troops have very high morale here, so this helps me much less than usual. They also have 2 attacks per round, kicking their enemies on top of the falchions they have.

The imps fly in, and fight against the Bandar apes. The yavanas are holding in the back still before advancing. Both the imps and the bandars flee the battle very soon. The moloch flies forward, and gets caught on its own a bit ahead of the main Ur battle line.
jqck349.jpg

That's not a healthy place to be.

Then the troops reach their beloved hellspawn, and strike down a decent amount of Yavana...

vVZD3EA.jpg

But are then held in place by the Earth Meld spells cast by my mages. This makes them unable to attack, and lowers their defense score so that practically all blows against them hit. They have to pass a strength check on their own turn in order to escape this, which is easy enough for the strong Ur troops, but they still miss that rounds attack.

Two rounds later, the Moloch succumbs to the falchion blows - which also brings the Ur troops back to their normal, more cowardly selves. And the yavanas win the day without too big losses.

Vm846Sk.jpg

Only the archers escape.

QlftvgH.jpg

This is of course, a small battle still. But it's only turn 12, so nobody has very big armies available yet.

Alas, the game is swiftly turning against me overall...

Qv4yKGr.jpg

A big army from Mictlan has just invaded the other extreme of my territory, and alas instead of pursuing the Enkidu menace further to the east, I decide to turn my troops back in order to be able to halt that horde somehow. Also a plague has struck my capital hard, killing half the populace there so I'm unable to recruit as many new troops, or put up new forts, as I'd like.

This was on turn 12 - now the game's going at 19, and quite a bit has happened then (i put up a somewhat pyrrhic victory against the Jaguar Warrior horde, but lost all my provinces on the east side of the river to Ur, and even Yomi jumped in to briefly occupy some land of mine before being driven back. Now in the process of reclaiming my lands from Ur again, with a monumental victory against them again on the latest turn - but more on that later.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Indeed, the reason I am nt posting anything is that I didn't commit anything - yet. Don't want to run into prepared enemies. Also I have scouts all over the map, can't even post a picture of my lands without revealing almost all capitals :)
But is about to change - some poor sob will have to satiate my oni hordes, since I am done with all the critical research.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
On a second thought some pics can't hurt:

45dYFUj.jpg

the core of Yomilands... I started out on this nice little island, ran eastwards into kailasa and mictal but found some space to the north - but as usual the north was occupied by dumb Conans.
My researchers are mostly hannyas (those snakeladys) - which i will switch out with the old geezers and rotate to the front gradually, since they make excellent firechuckers. I also got 5 temples down - 5 will raise my initial dominion strength by 1.

no7ysLM.jpg

One of the more prominent magic items. It is one of the *brands* which will add an elemental AoE effect. A cheap go-to weapon for raiders, since it will kill weak units quickly.

and now: SCOREGRAPHS!!!!
8FCTbWq.jpg

province count: red -abysia, yellow - kailasa, grey - yomi, blue - ulm, light brown - ur, cyangreenish - mictlan, greenishyellow - C'tis

Kailasa had a shitty starting position and was also in the lead, so the monkeys got what they deserved but since their yavana leaders are somehwat superior they got bakc some of their lands.
As you can many of the top graphs became horizontal - that means everyone ran out of easy to conquer independent provinces and wars will be inevitable.

also: wtf C'tis . Lizards seem to be dozing off in the heat.

Chef_Hathaway

King of the Juice
Patron
White Knight
Divinity: Original Sin BattleTech
Is there an update or is my game messed up? It keeps saying my version is too old and won't let me load the new turn.

Edit: Well there is a new version, but my game apparently won't update.

Edit2: Fixed it. Just gonna use the steam version now, as my desura version refuses to update.

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane
I think we should start a second game with the new people , maybe a disciple game this time and organize ourselves into two teams .

Wish i had kept a few screenshots of our sessions, i just noticed you have to resize the game into a window to be able to .

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
I'm in! Would you create the game Mortmal? Just choose whatever settings you fancy, I like playing random nations/settings.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Fucking barbarians, make up your mind about attacking me or MOVE that army OFF our border. On the other hand I am sure roasted Conan is tasty.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom