Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dominions 4 MP game thread

Chef_Hathaway

King of the Juice
Patron
White Knight
Divinity: Original Sin BattleTech
Conan is afraid of no man, beast, or god.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Time for some more pics:

pAOakCD.jpg

This is the barbarian army in question. My lands are on the right just over the bridge. Go away.

rjZ9qSO.jpg

My onis in search for roasted newt (invading C'tis). It's quite zoomed out but you can make out my casters on the left - mainly hannyas chucking fireballs, then some blobs of green and red oni (fire-cold based), and sone enlarged ants in front. The ants are there to soak up some of the trampling C'tis chariots. Units can only trample other units of lesser size, and they are both 4. As you can see I got a huge numerical advantage and way more casters - C'tis had only 2 priests and a 2D and a 1N1E caster, so I stomped them into the ground.

alrkWtO.jpg

Fire Ant. Nothing to write home about but decent HP and protection make up for a good sponge. Mindless adds to that by being impervious to various control and fear magic. Their magic resistance sucks though.

LclU69t.jpg

Fireball obliterating a tile of lizards. 16,9,22 damage to the 3 units inhabiting the square.

3rRgvYT.jpg

Aka-Oni (fire) incinerating Lizards.

31naXk5.jpg

Magic armor. It has low protection but no penalty to defense or encumbrance and confers 20 stealth. Sweet for equipping non-stealthy thugs with crappy default armor (Oni Generals or Dai-Oni) to sneak behind enemy lines and then strike many different provinces at once.

UPaaYzn.jpg

This robe provides etherealness. It boosts innate stealth, but does not provide non-stealthy units with it.

5v4K17J.jpg

Ok there I made some mistake. It's rather expensive for this stage of the game to outfit Supercombatants, since there are not enough gems or high-level magic items available. So I ended up with a rather expensive thug (in theory a cheap raider). Nonetheless he kicks some serious arse. He got a waterbreathing ring so I could take the underwater lands adjacent to my capital at last. He also got into the hall of fame and Iron Will as heroic ability - which is kickass since magic resistance is a prime defense versus many SC counters.

That's it for now, I hope the other players will update on their game too!

Last edited:

Chef_Hathaway

King of the Juice
Patron
White Knight
Divinity: Original Sin BattleTech
Was turn 26 sent out? I just got an e-mail reminding me that it's 12-hours til hosting, yet I can't find the turn anywhere in my e-mail.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Update time.

xZQKafg.jpg

How did it come to this? C'tis only played half of thier turns, so they got what they deserved: Death by fire.

cZh3G3t.jpg

Ah! Shinies! To set even bigger things on fire!

BGKGAXm.jpg

Province count. My pretender has a big target sign painted on his fat belly. Next in line is Ulm. And C'tis just vanished.

nO95N9v.jpg

Gems.

T9HTfci.jpg

Research.

Those two graphs are even more telling. Gems = magical Power (rituals, powerful battlefield spells, summons) and Research = access to said power. These are defining mid/lategame power.
That is also a reason why some players prefer not to paly with scoregraphs, since it is relatively easy to see who is going to run away with the game. But we are more or less newbs at this game (except johannes I suppose), so the idea was less the competition, but to get a feel for the MP flow and have some fun trying out things.

0jKs4X4.jpg

And last but not least a magic item. These are called magic boosters. They boost one or more magic paths by +1. They are essential to power up mages to cast critical spells or reach prerequisites for froging items.

Aurore

Due to the forum staff being sexist and misogynistic I am deleting my forum account, so if anyone has a message for me just send it to me in game.

Johannes

Arcane
Well shit, another crash turn. Maybe we should try and roll back to 33 possibly? At least just trying to keep going doesn't seem like it will help.

No idea what exactly is the problem, never had such errors at all before, but I suspect it might be patriarchy at work.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
This is awkward. I rollback for now.

PS: everyone make sure to delete the codex game files, before remaking the turn. IT's important that you get rid of all the old 2h/trn files.

Last edited:

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Wishful thinking :) I pillaged + raided / 3*blight your capital, which means my troops were no pushovers anymore (15 unrest in a province count as 1 turmoil).

Anyways some last pics:
l1Ho8p0.jpg

The map. In the last half of the game I got a bit lazy with scouting, so Abysia and Ulm aren't completely explored. The active province contains my invading army bent on ravaging Kailasa.

aAPk6MW.jpg
NTyQu2R.jpg
yhroeuw.jpg
C31gYvW.jpg

Some spells my mages were going to cast in the upcoming battles.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
JB3IKqN.jpg

NevDN2e.jpg

More of them.
Darkness is a great spell if you use undead/demonic troops. It halves almost all stats and undead/demonic troops aren't affected by it.

y5jVJ4L.jpg

Province count at the end. One can safely conclude that this world was about to get ravaged by marauding Oni hordes.

Johannes

Arcane
Nah. I wouldve killed your army had those been the spells youd used against my pretender - no spells that could really touch him and enough buffs and stats to defend against even the mr-resists, fire, and cold melee attacks (awe, ethereal, entangle, blind attackers, astral shield, 15 cold resist, 28 fire resist, 25 MR, 33 defense, ~25 prot, ~300 hp and 10% regen, for offense 2 swords and the fire shield). Lack of poison resistance was the only big issue I see, surely not enough to kill, though it couldve caused a fatal affliction (chest wound) with bad luck.

Of course, you were in a good spot after getting a free win over JagreenLern, even if you'd lost a single battle where your mages could easily retreat.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
True, I was a bit afraid of your pretender SC. My lack of knowledge about specific counters shows there. I guess some nature poison spam (is there a single target spell?) with hannyas would have worked. Having no astral counters sucks.
Would lifedrain work on him?

Johannes

Arcane
drain life would work if theres enough of it to overcome the regeneration consistently - but it has a short so youd have to maneuver into position for it first. And hard to say would the mages keep casting it how often once offscript. Single target poison spells without precision roll don't exist iirc, hannyas have only 1N anyway.

Most worried I was whether you'd have Banefire or not. It's still nothing guaranteed, Dai Oni have poor precision and would miss most of the time, and once surrounded by your troops they wouldn't risk casting it, not offscript at least. But it still deals a fuckton more damage than almost anything else, and has range too.

Or something like a Dai Tengu flying to join the army and shooting out lightning spells.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
I went for darkness first, so no banefire for 3 turns. Tengus weren't possible since I planned my pretender wrong. I had some skulls staves, so hannyas would have casted banefire too.

Due to the forum staff being sexist and misogynistic I am deleting my forum account, so if anyone has a message for me just send it to me in game.
Did I miss some DRAMA?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom