Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ Dominions 4 PBEM - Gateway and Archive Thread

I'm interested in joining. Somewhat experienced codex lurker with one Dom4 pbem game under my belt. That game ended around turn 80 by player fatigue and arena deathmatch.

Preferences:
- All directions wrapping. So everyone gets to enjoy being surrounded.
- No mods, or as little mods as possible. Balance is achieved through meta game diplomacy.
- No disciples. From what I've seen, disciple games seem to require lot of organization, else they'll very easily end up in anticlimactic clusterfucks. Organization is a tall order.
- No random nations. Player morale seems to be a huge issue in longer games and it isn't helped if people are dealt some shitty nation they disllike.

But these are just preferences. Anything goes.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
and Codex-themed province names.

web.jpg

Actually, it would be kool if somebody made Codex-themed map :3

KoolNoodles

Arcane
If we go Disciples, the snake draft is the way to go for picking nations(teams can be random sure). So something like 1-2-3-3-2-1, etc. would be how teams pick nations. It's not perfectly balanced(the first team with two picks can sometimes get great synergy), but it's the closest.

I'm in, whatever you choose. I'd like to try disciples though (so count my vote for that) since I never played game with them. I see how it can turn into clusterfuck quickly but no one is betting money on these games, considering we'll have players with wide distribution of skill it's hard to count this as anything more than friendly match just for fun. Put me in noob camp for team selection.

Johannes

Arcane
I'm against DIsciples because it requires twice as much effort to play effectively. Coordinating so that you can talk to your teammates each turn (it's really a must for decent play, much more than just diplomacy) is a pita compared to just doing your own turn whenever you like. And that's even in the case you're teamed with someone halfway sane.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
I suggested disciples because of the novum, on the other hand I played very few of them and they all were bad experiences as organization was lacking.
So in retrospect a ffa could be more fun for all involved.

Dayyālu

Arcane
I'm against DIsciples because it requires twice as much effort to play effectively. Coordinating so that you can talk to your teammates each turn (it's really a must for decent play, much more than just diplomacy) is a pita compared to just doing your own turn whenever you like. And that's even in the case you're teamed with someone halfway sane.

I'd like to try for once disciples, and I hope that Codexers will be more efficient than Desura players. They require effort but with 2-3 players teams it can be managed, I hope.

Of course, good players prefer to play by themselves to the risk of babysitting us "insane" noobs. That I can understand.

If we go Disciples, the snake draft is the way to go for picking nations(teams can be random sure). So something like 1-2-3-3-2-1, etc. would be how teams pick nations. It's not perfectly balanced(the first team with two picks can sometimes get great synergy), but it's the closest.

+1 for this.

Just set turns for 48 or even more hours. It's not like we have to finish in this century.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Let's get this started. Raw, just set a game up on Llama and we will follow.

Ok, so there is two of us. Would be nice if other people confirmed they want to play. We should try to balance teams while we're at it, we can't have one team full of noobs who just bought the game in holiday steam sale and other filled with veterans with over 1000 hours clocked each throughout the years.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
No hard feelings, but I'll pass. I can't really devote myself to disciples game. Have to agree with Johaness post.

Coz it's 100% true.

Dayyālu

Arcane
:roll:

Me and my trust in 'dexers. Well, I should go crying on Desura to find someone for Disciples, then.

Player List

1. Raw No Disciples Skill Unknown
  2. Dayyalu Disciples Noob
  3. Coldcrow No Disciples Skill Unknown
  4. Hoverdog Disciples Noob
  5. thesheep Does not care Skill Unknown
  6. Berekan Disciples Skill Unknown
  7. Malakal Does not care Skill Unknown
  8. Grimwulf No Disciples Semi-vet
  9. Capitan Coxwaggle No Disciples Skill Unknown
  10. Tzaero Does not care Noob
  11. KoolNoodles Does not care Average(?)
  12. Johannes NO Disciples Skill Unknown
  13. Mraston Disciples(?) Skill Unknown
  14. Joined on the 4th No Disciples Skill Unknown
  15. John the Revelator I MISSED A GUY

No Disciples wins. For the other options, duke it out as you want. At this point, I suggest Random Nations then (out of two or three choices) and Graphs on, so we can jump freely on any good player that dares expand too much. Skill can be overcome with numbers, one of the few things I know for sure.

We can open a big PM for everyone involved instead of cluttering the Thread? Who's gonna do the nation picks? I'm too dumb to do randomized lists, so if someone can provide....

Or we can go full glory and do Random Nations without choices. Pelagia for the win!

For maps, I don't have any idea. 15x14.... 210 provinces?

Last edited:

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
looks fantastic, but 90 provinces is hella tight for 14 (?) players. Assuming 15 provinces per player as the golden standard, I'd use something like Galadia (177+40), Urraparrand (145+35, also pwetty) or Fantomagoria (173+59). But disregard me, I don't know shit.

Graphs - big yes. I love graphs.

Fully random nations or best of 2 (no one wants Pelagia - but I wouldn't be surprised if someone rolls Pelagia & R'lyeh)

Dayyālu

Arcane
I'd rather lock ledgers and no diplo.

In that case, I am not gonna join. Diplo is a good half of the activity of a Dominions match. Laziness for Disciples I can understand, No Diplo is a tad too much.

We need at least 100 more provinces for a decent game. As far as I understand, the golden ratio is 15-20 provinces per player, right?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom