Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dominions 4 - Pink Natajara

Which era do you prefer?

• EA

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • MA

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • LA

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Voting is for democrats!

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Aren't you that guy from the First Law Trilogy?

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters

KoolNoodles

Arcane
If two players start next to each other they just agree to be best buds and face the wastes arm in arm, right????

Caul Shivers

Scholar
Well currently all provinces are tagged as 1k population with the exception of the predefined starts. If you start there it will be 1k population cap or no cap. Not sure off the top of my head if there's another way to ensure low population in provinces other then setting it like I did. Small province tag + waste might do it though but I've no idea.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Small province tag + waste might do it though but I've no idea.

It does. Small+waste makes all provinces to be 700-1100k population. If you hard-script 1000 pop, then you'll get yourself the cap problem you mentioned. But if you simply set all provinces to be waste+small, all caps will spam with 30k population and other provinces with 700-1100.

Edit: it has a minor downside, though. Small provinces have weaker defences, so indys are not impressive even at level 9.

Caul Shivers

Scholar
I'm up for small+waste if it means not fucking around with bugged starts.
Also, we could always add a fuck ton of thrones to spice things up.

Lastly, I'm thinking magic frequency at around 10-15 should be fine. The wastes should add some.

Caul Shivers

Scholar
Oh yes, I see no possible way to lose a game with Lizard Lizard Chariots. These gloriousssss lizards are mine. I'm sticking with Gaelina, Advent of the Slave.

LizardLizard_zpsiea9move.jpg

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Sorry but Im resigning from this game. I spent some time thinking and a game without gems or research would be mainly throwing troops at each other and that isnt very fun in Dominions.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Sorry but Im resigning from this game. I spent some time thinking and a game without gems or research would be mainly throwing troops at each other and that isnt very fun in Dominions.

Hmm, I wasn't following the settings too closely(other than wasteland map), but that does sound kind of boring.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
There's still plenty of gems in the wasteland. It just means you can't set up a factory of summons and have to be more careful with your resources for battle magic. But w/e if there's gonna be :butthurt: just set it to normal magic site frequency or slightly higher.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Hmm, I wasn't following the settings too closely(other than wasteland map), but that does sound kind of boring.

I do enjoy low magic settings, but after some tests (and with our nations) there are some changes it would be better to do.

Low gem sites is gud, but let's keep it at a somewhat reasonable level, like 25-30. 0 is somwewhat problematic to work with. The biggest problem is indie strength, though, as 9 forces you into some specific choices (to the point that I was almost thinking to change nation because Monkeys simply do not work agains 80 indies on turn 2).

It would be interesting to set-up EA indies (lower tech due the fact we are in some kind of apocalyptic wasteland), indie strength 5-6, gem ration 25-30. Standard research.

Just mah two cents, though.

Try using diplomacy. Your games will never be boring again.

But KoolNoodles is already kinda big on diplo. Malakal is somewhat lacking on that side, but I hope our little Codex matches will start to change his - I presume - /domg/ inherited attitude to be all cold and aloof and dark and mysterious with the common mortals.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I am actually conducting all my diplomacy via steam whenever possible as it makes it faster and easier to do.

Caul Shivers

Scholar
There's no such thing as throwing troops on a map where you'll have 400 income at best. That being said I can raise the magic frequency to 30ish. Anything more would force everyone to take rainbow pretenders in order to set a summoning factory and that wouldn't be very fun either. This game is about surviving with very meager resources and makes every single unit count, not throwing tons of crap at each other. Also, keep in mind that the wastes add +20 to site frequency so this is effectively magic freq 50.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Also, keep in mind that the wastes add +20 to site frequency so this is effectively magic freq 50.

And Thrones always give increased site gen to the province they are located in. Which means 18 provinces in our case.

I vote for 0-15 site gen (even with 0 you'll have a load of magic sites in Throne provinces).

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Just saying that my friend ran a LA game with 10% research and well, it was moving huge crossbow armies around. The strategic part of this game isnt very interesting without magic.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Just saying that my friend ran a LA game with 10% research and well, it was moving huge crossbow armies around. The strategic part of this game isnt very interesting without magic.

You can't operate full-scale armies in this particular game, be it crossbows or whatnot. Did you try to play this map and settings in sp? Unless you conquer a bunch of other player's caps, you won't have gold income. At all. Not enough to buy stuff, not enough to pay maitenance. If you attack somebody, you:

- risk losing the 1,5 cripplies you have in total and become vulnerable;
- make the other players worry about upsetting the balance and become vulnerable.

You don't have shit to build castles and defend provinces. Neither you have a reason to do it - barely any of them give you 10-15gp income.

Personally, I'm all up for the challenge of making every unit, gem and gold pound count. And I don't see how it is possible to "throw" something or "move huge armies" around in these circumstances.

I forsee typical conflict in this game:

- GIVE UP, goddamn hoburgs! My army is bigger! (pls give up)
- Then come and get us, lizzurds! (pls don't attack)
- We will spare your lives if you pay tribute! (pay up, come on)
- UMM, NO! (we will pay if you attack)
- Prepare yourselves for battle, then! (bluff)
- *gulp* (gulp)
- ... We will meet on the battlefield sometime. (No, we won't - it isn't worth it to risk the only warband we could afford so far. Maybe some other nation will pay up?)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom