Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dominions 4 Play By Email - Game Complete!

KoolNoodles

Arcane
It might be getting close to time to extend the timer. Something like 36hr. What do people think?

Mraston

Learned
I'm all for it. I'll take 3 more votes for a timer extension and if I get them I'll make it so.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
I find 24 hour turns a bit weird for some reason, so I'm in too.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
I am of course in. 36hr allows for some timing overlap. Later if things get crazy we can do 48hr. That gives time to rest and think between sometimes massive turns.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Ghost+War+AV.jpg

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Some say the world will end in fire,

Some say in ice.

From what I’ve tasted of desire

I hold with those who favor fire.

But if it had to perish twice,

I think I know enough of hate

To say that for destruction ice

Is also great

And would suffice.

pepsi_fire_and_ice.jpg

Two great tastes, we're all stocked up here.

Dayyālu

Arcane
No one.

Lemuria and Ragha have started a war in the North, while Abysia and Atlantis are breaking apart the AI Man. Abysia is sieging its capital with a sizable force. Caelum, C'tis and Midgard are consolidating and building up armies, Research and gems. Bogarus had a slow start, and now he's trying to catch up.

Or a journey of a swift decline and untimely elimination.

Let us not be so negative! Without doubt Bogarus will still enjoy a long reign! Wait a sec. What happened to my little beautiful scouting party?

What? THEY DID WHAT? SEND IN THE TAX COLLECTORS. I WANT REPARATIONS. NOW!

ill2_zpsf3d09f86.png

Atlantian1_zps49ba6bb6.png
"Good Evening, kind sir. Is this the merry land of Bogarus? We are the representatives of the Atlantean Office for Taxes and Economical Grievances. It results that your Nation has a debt towards the People Of Atlantis, due to the losses caused by the military intervention of the Armies of Bogarus in Winter, Ascension War Era, Year 2 during the Atlantean Pacification of Man. Of course, we would be delighted if you government could settle this as fast as possible, to get back to the fruitful collaboration and...."
Atlantian2_zps5eb27b3b.png
"Why he's looking at us like that?"
Atlantian1_zps49ba6bb6.png
"I don't know. Those humans creep me out. They work well as Undead indentured servants, but it's futile to get them to understand complex things. Let us try again: Take-us-to-someone-with-power? Understood?"

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
You guys playing with water nations? Arent they all shit and boring?

And some AAR on that war or other action would be cool.

Dayyālu

Arcane
You guys playing with water nations? Arent they all shit and boring?

Late Age Atlantis is awesome. Inuit Death Cult Frogs. Plus they're awesome even gameplay-wise. Best Heavy Infantry of the era.

And some AAR on that war or other action would be cool.

As you wish. I can for your viewing pleasure do a little recon of the first "serious" Battle of the Lemuria/Ragha War, The Battle of Ephesibor, thanks to the powerful assets of the Atlantean Office of Barbarians.

Ephesibor is a rich province, full of forests and plains, known for his martyrs and a shipwreck that happened a year ago. More importantly, it is the site of a Castle of Ragha, the main defense of the passage towards the East Continent. If Lemuria conquers the region, it will have a beachhead towards the Raghan homelands. Let us see the two armies.

Report1_zpsc1a518e6.png

And here we have the attacking Lemurian army- composed of Spectral Legionari, Shadow Soldiers, Shadow Beasts. You can see some Apparitions - the figures with a toga, horrible undeads that spread disease-. A more peculiar troop are the Zhayedans: holy RAGHAN troops, that defected thanks to the powerful Apostasy spell in a previous engagement. They're few, but they're good. Think of Persian Immortal Gryphon Cavarly. The Spectral troops are all ethereal, so difficult to hit without magic weapons. The Lemurian leadership is composed by Lemur Consules, immortal ethereal bastards. They're also Holy 3, so excellent priests, and one is a Prophet, so Holy 4. A solid army, even if with a unimaginative set-up.

Report2_zps8f3d86bf.png

Here the brave defenders, the Raghan army. They have chosen a more creative formation. Most of the army is composed of Turan troops- the Abysian/Humanbred part of the Dual Kingdom- good infantry with survival skills and fire resistance. We can also see some Turan Elephants - not excellent troops to take in this confrontation, I fear- and some crossbowmen, too few to make a difference. The Raghan leadership however is quite good: we can see a pair of Shah, two Turan sorcerers and the jewel of the Raghan formation, a Fravashi, the "Higher soul". Not a great mage or a great warrior, nonetheless it has Ethereal, Awe 3 - so the enemy, even Spectres, can be too awestruck to hit it-.

Report3_zpse1412ee8.png

After a few turns, we can see the evolution of the battle. The Lemurian Zhayedans ironically are extremely effective at keeping the Raghan line occupied, with few losses. The magic bombardment from the Raghan sorcerers and priests - Banishments and Dust to Dust, a powerful anti-undead spell- fails to cause enough losses to the Lemurian army, thanks to the powerful magic wards that the Lemurian Consules can cast. The Raghan PD, without a good battle plan- the Raghan player cannot directly control PD-, "overflows" from the sides of the Zhayedans and gets slaughtered piecemeal by the ethereal undeads. I missed from the screenshot the Raghan elephants, that are trying to flank the Lemurian battle line.

Report4_zpsefda8e14.png

The Raghan counterattack is creative. The Elephants hit the flanks, while the Fravashi attacks the rear of the Lemurian formation. The Spectres attack en masse the Fravashi, leaving the Lemurian flanks weakened and the Zhayedans unsupported. The apostates start suffering the pressure from the Raghan infantrymen. The Fravashi is now tying 6/10 of the Lemurian army: the spectres fail to damage it for several turns while their army suffer further losses from Banishments.

report5_zps1c8ad373.png

The Lemurian southern flank and center collapses. The Zhayedans flee from the battle, followed by the Shadow Soldiers (amusingly, they are not mindless). The Spectral Legionari are still tied with the Fravashi. The Raghan elephants are hitting the flank, and the battle seems to be turning good for the troops of the Dual kingdom, with all of their mages/priests still active, even if fatigued.

Report6_zps730ff2be.png

Sadly, it's not enough. The Fravashi fails a morale check and when the exhausted Raghan heavy infantry hit the Legionari, they are quickly routed from the Fear effects of the Lemurian Standard Bearers. The rest of the army follows suit, and the field is conquered by Lemuria. The siege of the Castle of Ephesibor begins.

All said, a close call. From the losses, I would say thet the Raghan army had a chance at winning this, but the stacking of the wards and protections on the Spectral Legionari made them too tough for stock, unaugmented infantry.

God, I do not envy those who do serious LPs.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Nice battle, seems like those converted units did most of the real fighting though.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Cool writeup, about as expected. Two of my armies, and a couple mages failed to join the battle, even with patrol orders. I'm not sure if it's a bug or what, but only my move/patrol troops from outside the region joined in. Unfortunate, that.

The converted Zhayedans did indeed do much of the killing and holding, but that is what they can do. Apostasy is a hell of a spell against sacred units. They were originally captured in an "accidental" encounter. Ideally I wouldn't put them near H3 and H4 priests.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
There's not much as far as formation for Lemuria, but there are some things. Could have had the faster dogs on hold/attack rear, get some flanking action(never know, could catch a mage), and used your spectral hastati etc. in line/double-line to increase area of attack. Spectres and Soulless and crap, sure, not much of a point.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Uh, I didn't get the new turn either, good thing we have the reminders, it seems half the people haven't sent their turn either, an extension might be good for this turn.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Yeah, it seems that since Llamaserver had to switch hosting, some of the games have had issues sending out turns.

I went ahead and requested turns for those who haven't submitted yet, minus Atlantis because obvious he got it from the mini LP he put up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom