Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Dominions 4 - Season 3 - The Geriatric Wars

Discussion in 'MP Gaming' started by Joined on the 4th of July, Jun 6, 2015.

1. Joined on the 4th of July Arcane

Joined on the 4th of July
    raw's original post has been salvaged from the megathread; rejoice and recommence posting.

[​IMG]
    Turmoil 3 is a ladder.

Recently I found myself out of turns to submit. To prevent the shakes from getting me, I have to meet my turns/day quota. Fortunately, Ilwinter, in their infinite wisdom, conceived Dominions 4 as a Turn Based game. What that means is that you, yes you, can enjoy a game of intrigue, risky magic and dumb bold move orders while you are already enjoying it elsewhere!

I have seen a couple of you yapping & wheezing for the next game. This game is now. Same deal as last game, except this one is gonna be MA for sake of completeness.

Be there or be dead. When you play a game with thrones you win or you die.

Suggested Mods:
    [​IMG]

Ladies and Gentletrannies, I present your enemies:
    Code:
    raw    Ashdod
    Dayyalu Marignon
    KoolNoodles    T'ien Ch'i
    thesheeep    Pelagia
    Muty    Nazca
    Berekan    Ermor
    Matalarata    Pythium
    squeeeco    Agartha
    pakoito    Eriu
    Mraston    Vanheim
    Captian Coxwaggle    Vanarus
    Malakal    Abysia
    Tripjack    R'lyeh
    Joined on the 4th of July    C'tis

The Game: http://www.llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=Decline3

By popular request, the picks (only initial, no Battlepicks^TM)
    Show Spoiler
    Code:
    14 players, 28 nations.
    Nations for player >> squeeeco << are:
    1 Bandar Log
    2 R'lyeh
    3 Agartha

Nations for player >> Mraston << are:
    1 Vanheim
    2 Eriu
    3 Atlantis

Nations for player >> Muty << are:
    1 Ermor
    2 Abysia
    3 Marignon

Nations for player >> thesheeep << are:
    1 Atlantis
    2 Nazca
    3 Pelagia

Nations for player >> raw << are:
    1 Pelagia
    2 Ashdod
    3 Abysia

Nations for player >> Tripjack << are:
    1 R'lyeh
    2 Ermor
    3 Asphodel

Nations for player >> Captian Coxwaggle << are:
    1 Atlantis
    2 Vanarus
    3 C'Tis

Nations for player >> pakito << are:
    1 Marignon
    2 R'lyeh
    3 Bandar Log

Nations for player >> KoolNoodles << are:
    1 Pythium
    2 Atlantis
    3 T'ien Ch'i

Nations for player >> Malakal << are:
    1 Ashdod
    2 Oceania
    3 Abysia

Nations for player >> Dayyalu << are:
    1 Atlantis
    2 Marignon
    3 Vanheim

Nations for player >> Joined on the 4th of July << are:
    1 C'Tis
    2 Arcoscephale
    3 Abysia

Nations for player >> Matalarata << are:
    1 Pythium
    2 Xibalba
    3 Atlantis

Nations for player >> Berekan << are:
    1 Agartha
    2 T'ien Ch'i
    3 Ermor

^ Top  
  2. Joined on the 4th of July Arcane

Mostly accurate starting areas of the 14 nations. Ashdod and Marignon are now dead. And Eriu just went AI.

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. sqeecoo Arcane

sqeecoo
    Eriu went AI??

^ Top  
  4. Joined on the 4th of July Arcane

There was some kind of demoralizing defeat against Vanarus. I don't have the details.

^ Top  
  5. KoolNoodles Arcane

KoolNoodles
    R.I.P. Abysia, you fought well against some tough early odds. Also soon to R.I.P. Ermor, you just suck and nobody likes you.

^ Top  
  6. Berekän #11231 Patron

Berekän
  7. thesheeep Arcane Patron

thesheeep
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Understandable ;)
    If he lost so much that "living on" would just mean watching everything crumble slowly.

^ Top  
  8. thesheeep Arcane Patron

thesheeep
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Well, at least I know now why nobody every uses Gelatinous Cubes

Show Spoiler
    :rage:
    Damn, those fuckers are slow. Most of my army routed before the cubes even met the enemy.
    Good to know that the acid backlash also has to go through armor, though...

But hey, what's 160 water gems more or less, right? I'm swimming in them, after all...
    :negative:

^ Top  
  9. Joined on the 4th of July Arcane

Gelatinous cubes are cool. I had about dozen of them and they died to diseases before seeing a single battle.

Somehow I assumed they'd be immune.

^ Top  
  10. thesheeep Arcane Patron

thesheeep
    They are cool!

But pretty damn useless as an addition to a normal army.
    Them alone, with some sneaky raiding commander would be interesting.
    Imagine Gift Of Reason on one of them :lol:

^ Top  
  11. Malakal Arcane

Malakal
    Cubes are awesome, try buffing them for better effect tho. Some armor goes a long way for them. Not very mage turn efficient but a great summon.

^ Top  
  12. thesheeep Arcane Patron

thesheeep
    Name a good buff that works UW, and can be cast with W or S :lol:

^ Top  
  13. KoolNoodles Arcane

KoolNoodles
    Body ethereal, spam away. :)

^ Top  
  14. thesheeep Arcane Patron

thesheeep
    Yes, that would probably have worked a bit better...

^ Top  
  15. Malakal Arcane

Malakal
    Antimagic, will of the fates, wave warriors, friendly currents, quickening. Warriors of Niefelheim. Granted the big buffs are in earth and air.

^ Top  
  16. thesheeep Arcane Patron

thesheeep
    Antimagic and friendly currents I had. Didn't do much.
    Wave warriors is high alt, which I did not go for (high thaum/ench instead). Will o.t. Fates is uncastable by my mages (not enough S and even higher Alt).
    Quickening high alt again.
    So to make them useful, I would have had to go with high alt, which I did not nearly have enough research for.
    Oh, well. There is always a next game to make other mistakes ;)

Though I have to say the enemy was not an army but an SC on ecstasy. (And Paralyze/Soul Slay did not come through).

^ Top  
  17. Grimwulf Arcane Patron Vatnik

Grimwulf
    Well, I would go for Alt if I ever was unlucky enough to play Pelagia. Pretty much for everything Malakal mentioned (Wave Warriors, Quickening, WotF, WoN) + Mass Protection and Fog Warriors.

Your mages can cast anything mentioned above. Through communion and boosters.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Malakal Arcane

Malakal
    Alt is the best spell school period, always get a lot of alt. And maybe blood, if you are a blood nation. Cant go wrong with alt tho.

^ Top  
  19. thesheeep Arcane Patron

thesheeep
    In hindsight, yes.
    My plan for the game was something different than how everything turned out, though. Mostly due to my f*cked up starting position and some other noob mistakes.
    Biggest mistake was sticking to the original plan and not changing it ;)

Only in theory.
    Boosters that I cannot create myself for the largest part, and someone never gave me my coins. Little to no access to E. Too little research to go for Constr. 6 soon enough.
    And too few S mages for a communion. Remember that I had to transport all my mages over land to put into Rlyeh UW provinces. Which means Fish amulets for pretty much every single mage.
    Possible, yes, but another giant boulder to move out of the way for things to work.

In hindisght, I would do a lot of things different.
    But with the knowledge I had, I don't think I could've done much better.

But hey, it's not like Pelagia is dead. Just wait and see ;)

^ Top  
  20. Grimwulf Arcane Patron Vatnik

Grimwulf
    You are the second man I know who manages to play UW nation with astral access without researching Thaumaturgy. How can you even live without Teleport and Gateway? UW logistics are impossible without them.

^ Top  
  21. thesheeep Arcane Patron

thesheeep
    I have high Thaum, mostly for SC counter spells. But again, Teleport is S3, Gateway S4. You can't do communion rituals (or can you?).

Also remember that each mage who wants to teleport has to have at least S3. EVERY single one of them. Which is a lot if you want communions.
    The best I ever got with all my mages (and I recruited A LOT) were two or three S2 mages.
    And I had no S boosters for reasons mentioned above.

Oh, and even if, all except the STR mage have abysmal leadership, so Gateway... Gateway what? 10 Mermen? 10 Cubes (Remember they can only be crafted on land for whatever reason despite being amphibious)?

^ Top  
  22. Grimwulf Arcane Patron Vatnik

Grimwulf
    Trade for boosters, it's not that hard here on Codex. People are easy-going.

Whip of Command or other +ldrshp equip. For boosting range of spell use Starfire Staff and/or Arcane Lens.

In Decline 2 I even empowered some of my indy S1 casters just for the sake of Gateways (S2 caster + Starshine Skullcap + Crystal Coin). Totally worth it, if you ask me.

^ Top  
  23. Trash Player Scholar

Trash Player
    A better way to spend W gems is forging. This tactic is available to R'lyeh too.
    With a Water Lens, every Mermages, while UW, can go Summon Water Power>Summon Water Elemental(Conj5), and W-random ones can do that on land with a Water Bracelet(Const6). You have 0 gem-attrition this way.
    Size 6 Water/Ice Elementals are in general better than the Cubes, but the killer is the logistics and attrition; you get a new Elemental every fight and the logistics is only limited by mages and labs, without the leadership issues at the very least.
    You really should have picked something else other than vanilla MA Pelagia, MA Atlantis at least has fully amphibious mages.

^ Top  
  24. thesheeep Arcane Patron

thesheeep
    Well, I wanted to see if they really are as bad as everyone says :lol:

And so far, I see little redeeming qualities.

^ Top  
  25. Matalarata Arcane Patron

Matalarata
    What is this faggotry? What happened to delicious single threads of entropy?

You could just ask.... Or you did and I am that someone?

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.