Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dominions 4 - Season 3 - The Geriatric Wars

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Magnificent. Both Ermor and Pythium played this game great. Top-tier perfomance.

:bravo:

And thank you for dat report, sqeecoo.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Oh what now....

91Tz7fv.jpg

All my alchemists are too crippled to hobble back to the capital, and I don't have enough money to train a new one. Oh well, what's a little more bad fortune??

Yes, thanks for all the earlier extensions too. I often feel too lazy to do the turn, but don't dare to ask for an extension just because of that. I just hope for and anticipate it.

One more extension! Thanks. I had to do some actual scripting this turn, and it took longer than expected. Let's see what kind of disaster it will bring.

Oh yeah, a disaster it was.

Mass enslave was such a disappointment (and the mage who was supposed to buff the newly enslaved fought in another fight outside the castle because I'm dumb)

So, sqeecoo's Agartha took two more thrones this turn (18 and 105) and he has recruitable H3 priests. And my poorly defended three point throne is right next to his main(?) army. This game is in danger of ending.

Anyways.. fight me you dirty merman! Try to take my kelp castle! :flamesaw::kwanzania:

KoolNoodles

Arcane
So who tried to cast what global that turn, and then presumably some of them failed? We're missing another slot, and Vengeful Water is up(that will be annoying!).

Don't be shy. :) I can say I tried to cast Mechanical Militia a while back and lost a ton of gems, but I think I already mentioned that. Either way things are not looking too bad for the world, for once.....

Vengeful water is useless, even Agartha's scouts beat the water elementals. Also I lost two globals because their casters died while trying to save my throne castle.

I tried dispel some global earlier, wrath of god I think, and lost a lot gems in that. Overcast dispel with something like 50 or so(?), wasn't enough.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Vengeful water is useless, even Agartha's scouts beat the water elementals. Also I lost two globals because their casters died while trying to save my throne castle.

I tried dispel some global earlier, wrath of god I think, and lost a lot gems in that. Overcast dispel with something like 50 or so(?), wasn't enough.

Yeah, 50 over is still a little ways off. :M

I see. My apologies then. VW is usually pretty good? Maybe an ice elemental spawns on a mage, but you are running heat, so....yeah.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
I tried casting Morgana sometime ago, being the only global I could cast, primarily to end another global.
I probably didn't overcast enough. That or my usual luck.

sqeecoo

Arcane
Hey, Master Enslave was pretty strong. You turned Pazuzu, you bastard!

And I am really lucky that air queen ended up outside the castle (and that I happened to have the gems for both battles, mostly). Don't beat yourself up about it, I killed my own SC assassin with Ghost Riders just the turn before, and I still don't understand how :D

For my part, I never cast a global this game. Would probably have went for Looming Hell or sth if your armageddons didn't destroy my blood hunting :)

I killed my own SC assassin with Ghost Riders just the turn before, and I still don't understand how :D

He had "attack this province" orders, right? That means he fights already in the magic battle phase that takes place before normal movement. And so it was left to chance whether he would fight before or after the ghost riders (who don't discriminate between enemies and friendlies).

sqeecoo

Arcane
I made that mistake elsewhere with a scout, yeah, but Belial had the "corrupt commander" order and still managed to attack the province before Ghost Riders :)

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
Worst thing about this game for me has been noticing how bad I am with late game stuff. I'm able to organize my research up to level 5-6 magic, depending on the nation, and I love forging so I'm getting a good feel of path boosters interaction and general ease-of-use artifact. But as soon as we talk high level globals, summons and, more importantly, the associated strategies I'm blank. I'm also quite bad at massing cheap summons, mainly because I don't know them or how useful they are. I tried some Griffins and Spring hawks in this game and while the former have been somewhat useful, I'm probably too much of a newb to use the latter well...
Unfortunately this game is so big that catching up in order to learn it is very hard for me, I wish I was still 20something and had the proper time to sperg on Dom4 as much as I need. Still, this was my first Dom4 MP ever, simply being here during late-game is a big accomplishment for me!

I should probably play more disciples in order to absorb strategies from veterans, Decline 5 made me learn so much.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Actually, I think you did good, Matalarata. Don't be so hard on yourself.

I really thought you'll be out of the game before late stage starts. Not because of skill, but because of the situation you were enduring. Early BoT and rather small territory would screw up almost anybody in your place.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
Thanks old man, but I'm not being hard, just realist! As I said, managing 'till the end game is something I'm more or less proud of but I was never in condition of winning or to actually compete for victory. I had some really strong diplo and allies... All in all I'm satisfied but a bit scared by how much I could improve. Still, don't worry this isn't the last of me you've seen in Dominion.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Unfortunately this game is so big that catching up in order to learn it is very hard for me, I wish I was still 20something and had the proper time to sperg on Dom4 as much as I need. Still, this was my first Dom4 MP ever, simply being here during late-game is a big accomplishment for me!

I should probably play more disciples in order to absorb strategies from veterans, Decline 5 made me learn so much.

You were Pythium, right? I would not have bet on your survival when Marignon was still around, you did truly well to simply survive. Endgame stuff is simply draining, at least for me. And the endgame of Dom4 is far, far better than the hellish endgame of Dom3.

Join Disciple games, that's a great way to learn other stuff, or join newbie games on Desura. And remember the basic ruler, Losing Is Fun.

Even *I* won a single game, so anyone can with a bit of luck and skill.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
Grazie!

I don't think I'll be joining any game on desura, I prefer to play with other magnificent bastards around here and, unfortunately, my game time is limited (that is, I play too much games and I need to distribute free time...)
My only exp with dom3 came frome the "not removed from inv." version, the interface and high cost (also knowing no one to play with) meant I never really picked it up. As soon as Dom4 was sold at a non-ludicrous price I jumped on it!
So yeah, I wait for other Disciple game to open up (apart from the Diplo heavy game Grimwulf is organizing) here on the 'Codex.

gib taggin' ploz

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom