Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dominions Decline 11: The Grimgrinch vs Christmas

Isiloon

Arcane
Patron
Fucking stuck in a swamp eating bananas while world war 3 is going on.

What would one send as humanitarian aid to Therodos who has barely researched anything and who can't recruit anything. (I have no bananas) It was easy helping Ermor, just send him death gems, but this feels a bit more complicated situation.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
image.png

0 heat province and you even cast 'rain' but no matter what you do! The fire rises!
:flamesaw::flamesaw::flamesaw:

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I'm in as Niefelheim - never played it in a proper pbem. Besides, I wanna feel dem winter holidays in Cold 3 dominion.

In keeping with Decline tradition, an image will be provided shortly.

Well, where is it?

:hmmm:

I'm just messing with you. Here it is (you can copy-paste it in OP or smth):

ijvtbn.jpg

I don't have RAW-tier skillz, so don't judge.
:lol:
:bravo:

Dayyālu

Arcane

You make me so, so proud.

1346942311_bill-dnc-speech-467.jpg

Ok, lost again, what am I doing wrong? At least the 10 specters and 10 multibless hulladancers are gone.

It's not a multi-bless, it's a stock N9E4, if I remember right. The baseline (one of the most common ones). He has a Telkhine now, bad news: he's still ded, but it can hurt. More even if he got Conj and Con and he can start summoning some chaff and equipping crap: a Telkhine is a SC-level chassis, after all.

If you can post a turn by turn analysis, we can do give better hints, but for now I can say:

+ Have you sent recon before? A commander with Retreat Orders to check what was inside? If you have time, it's always useful. You can even start scripts with the mage+gem trick.

+ Too much chaff on your side (like in the past battle). Chaff is good only if it has very high morale or it's unded or demonic: sending stock troops against a SC is unwise, as it will cause the HP rout. I lost 150+ Chaos warriors in the Warhams game thanks to that.

+ No Mage support. Numbness. Sailor's death. Curse. Anything and that thing is ded. Even small spells like Vine Arrow (not UW, I know) can be helpful against early and desperate Thugs.

+ That's all? Nothing else outside? All the other Therodosian units are ded? You kept a picket on the cap to keep it sieged even if you failed the assault?

Not to be patronizing or anything, but often we have to learn things the hard way. I've learnt crap just by guessing.

Do you know you can set units to Wait or scouts to hide and Wait with Shift+W? Months to get it, I swear.

Harpsichord

Arcane
On top of all that much more pointed, specific, and no doubt helpful advice I'll add...

...you just can't ever really be confident with regard to how things are going to work out in this game.

Tweak things as much as you can and assume you have zero margin of error, the game very much rewards anal retentive diligence, and punishes you severely for not taking full advantage of what options are available to you at any given moment.

Take the time to read all of the fine print on spells and shit like that if you haven't already, even the stuff that doesn't look interesting or even seem relevant. Same thing for units, and do the same with your opponents units in the after action reports. A lot of the learning curve is just absorbing trivial information, and from there it's sort of a 'letters form words form sentences' thing.

But I'm still pretty green myself so, grain of salt and whatnot.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Personally, I feel bad for Therodos. This nation isn't supposed to win early wars, in fact it should avoid them at all costs. The map script was broken, and because of it, Therodos was attacked by an UW juggernaut nation, Oceania. Yet it still managed to put up a spectacular fight, but now it's all over. And everybody here cheers and supports Oceania, gives tips and such.

I know that Dim is sort of a new player (at least in Decline series), but it's wrong, men.

Somebody has to right the wrongs.

Dim

Not sure if advertising plant?
u have water breathing amulet grim?
edit: should I be signing up for the next game?

Last edited:

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Personally, I feel bad for Therodos. This nation isn't supposed to win early wars, in fact it should avoid them at all costs. The map script was broken, and because of it, Therodos was attacked by an UW juggernaut nation, Oceania. Yet it still managed to put up a spectacular fight, but now it's all over. And everybody here cheers and supports Oceania, gives tips and such.

I know that Dim is sort of a new player (at least in Decline series), but it's wrong, men.

I'm trying to right the wrongs. :smug:

Where was Therodos cap? How many turns do they have?

Edit: Nevermind, I looked back. Hold on Therodos! :argh:

mondblut

Arcane
Where was Therodos cap? How many turns do they have?

None. By some puzzling quirk this time the walls did not restore during the turn they were free of siege, and now the last few survivors of the great race are grimly preparing for their final stand against another horde of zoo escapees.

Mourn not overmuch, however. Last wills were signed and vengeance generously paid for in advance. Therodos shall fall, but this victory will be hollow and short-lived.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Hmm. I am surprised nobody made any diplomatic threats. Even though Oceania sucks on land(until later, Pans are great for buffs), having a couple caps and free reign over a pond is not bad.

Like: Oceania, if you take Therodos' cap I will declare blood feud on you until the end of the game, set up altars on your shores, domkill you into oblivion, and then drink to the memory of your ancestors.

sacrifice_btl.jpg

Or uhh.....too late for that?

Dayyālu

Arcane
And everybody here cheers and supports Oceania, gives tips and such.

:notsureifserious:

Both KN and Grimwulf (probably the best and the fourth-best player here) gunning for you, me and Mondblut griefing your early expansion, no one bar the insane Dayyalu giving you hints and it's "right the wrongs"?

This is like, I don't know, master level trolling.

The suffering.

edit: should I be signing up for the next game?

YES. Disciple games are a bit better for newbs. Sure, I'm not the best leader, but it can work....

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
It seems like Grimwulf has decided his first war target, and it is the new inexperienced player already crippled by an early war. What a surprise!
This is like, I don't know, master level trolling.

Your sloppy provocation attempts are not even funny. Except this one:

griefing your early expansion

It made me giggle. Ah, Dayyalu never changes.

Ok, Dim, let's make it like that:

igkyuw.jpg

Green is Oceania; white is Therodos. And a NAP between you guys until, say, turn 48? NAP with Therodos automatically means NAP with Niefelheim. You gotta understand that there is greater evil that must be fought. Therodos was supposed to be your best friend and ally, not your first target. You paid the price for your mistake, and brought a lot of suffering to Therodos, but now it has to be stopped.

And don't listen to the vultures. They will tell you anything to manipulate and abuse you in every possible way. It's not coz they are bad people or anything, it's just the way things are rolling here. Learn to think for yourself. Communicate. Decide.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom