Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dominions Decline 11: The Grimgrinch vs Christmas

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
I'm really going to regret fighting giant frozen giants.... in a cold 3 province. As Abysia.

Your only regret will be sending an immortal Pretender to fight in neutral dominion. Don't blame me if she dies - it was your decision all along.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Well that is ballsy.

SeWJiwc.jpg

Edit: Also, the Holy Trinity at work:

WA5KKKI.jpg

Last edited:

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Lone skellie on the backlines attracting half the fireballs was nice additional touch.

Thanks.

:codexisfor:

I never expected him to last so long. The precision of Abysian mages is truly legendary.

Edit: the only fuck-up was Ivan Poddubny casting Quicken Self. I didn't script it - in fact I knew he would run out of fatigue eventually. That stuff went off-script instead of Resist Fire. I have no idea why didn't Jarls cast Resist Fire as scripted - probably because of fire res equip? Should have tested it beforehand. Oh, well.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
How the hell did the 70 smoulder ghosts flee at 16 morale vs the indies? The indies didn't even do any dmg...... check scripts............................. every undead commander has retreat as his last order!!!! THE FUCK, oh right, it's back from when they were solo site searching. Sheeeeeiiiit.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Come on, man - you should be happy your Smolderghosts are alive, along with your mages. They would never even scratch those Jarls. If they participated in that battle, they would be dead now.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
Abysia believes in equal information and freedom of speech.

Well, all my mages were out of range of the script so they only cast flame bolt the whole battle and can't aim. Apart from that you have chill 24, regenerating dudes, 140 and 80 hp dudes, vine shields, fire plate, MR resist amulets (19 MR total), burning pearls and an ice brand, hmmmm oh and reinvig boots.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
For each task its own equipment. I'm fighting Oceania using completely different items. And of course I have separate anti-Mictlan sets as well. :smug:

:hahyou:

Edit: It will be good the day I Hellbind a Niefel Jarl(maybe, who wants to give me rune smashers? :negative:)

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Having fun is more important than winning. Therefore, a battle report!

Two Niefel Men against a small horde of red-ass burning mfs

pupylt.jpg

The two main things when you attack like that:
- Don't let your enemy suspect he'll fight against SC. Abysia here expected an army of fire-vulnerable sacreds, otherwise the script would be entirely different.
- FASHION JARLS - follow the current trend.

ccojjq.jpg

Fire res, Fear and MR - nothing else is needed against early Abysia. Most of the spells won't reach the rearmost row, where Jarls spend five turns of the combat, buffing or waiting. This one didn't have enough reinvigor for quickness (8 is the minimum, 10 is preferable for Enc 4 SC - Poddubny only had 5), but he quickened himself anyway off-script. Ignoring Resist Fire. Note to self: mages won't cast self-buffs with elemental resistance, if they have some resistance already.

eqpsks.jpg

Same here, only better stats and reinvigor instead of MR. Actually, you only need MR against Smites - and all H casters receive additional MR against them. Or so I thought. Some Smites managed to breach Grim's MR after all - but no worries, he's fine. No afflictions.

Having reinvigor 10 and enc 4, he was very comfy with fighting under quickness.

Turn 5 - zombie SKELLY the DODGE MASTER (actually just a very slow zombie, who cares)

sebevw.jpg

That skele is important to the story. Being the only Niefelheim unit and standing closest to Abysian mages, he TRIGGERED pretty much all of them. Now the Jarls could fight the chaff without constantly dodging fireballs.

nfcfhq.jpg

Five turns later, the slow-ass skele finally got in range of Abysian Banishment and died instantly. RIP, heroic undead :salute:

Fast-forward many turns later, Abysians can't scratch the Jarls.

lceqmb.jpg

Fatigue is important here, since you lose 1 defence for every 10 points of fatigue; and 1 attack for every 20 points of fatigue. In case of Brand-wielding SC's, you don't care about attack too much (altho lower attack makes it easier for the enemy to repel you), but defence is a major thing. Having below-10 fatigue at all times is crucial.

By the end of combat, Ivan Poddubny was at his last breath. The alarming point is somewhere around 60 fatigue, because you start receiving regular critical hits after that. From the manual:

Critical hit due to fatigue

Each time a hit is scored, a DRN is made to check for a critical hit and the (unit’s Fatigue / 15) is subtracted. If the DRN is less than 3, a critical hit is scored and the defender’s protection values are all reduced by half.

So obviously you want to ensure that your reinvigor is enough to stay below that point at all times; or at least that the battle would end sooner. But Niefel Jarls have a somewhat easier time with that due to Chill aura. In Cold 3 and Breath of Winter active, the Chill is 24 - you would need a whooping 12 cold resistance (!) to nullify that. By the time Poddubny started to feel exhausted, most of Abysians were already unconscious.

And then it was over.

hsjsro.jpg

Burning Ones are really gud. The only downside is they can't escape. Not with speed 4.

ljlicn.jpg

And that was it, the battle for the Throne was won fair and square by Niefelheim.

viukyo.jpg

I want to thank everybody who trades gems and items with me - luv you all, guys.

:love:

Last edited:

Dayyālu

Arcane
I want to thank everybody who trades gems and items with me - luv you all, guys.

:love:

The Capitalists will sell us the rope with which we will hang them, nay, Comrade?

(Great small write up. I've never been good on SC-building, or even Thug building. There is a reason why I prefer the Dom4 balance.)

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Don't listen to propaganda. I'm not the evil here. While I was expanding on indies, Oceania destroyed Therodos; and Mictlan is about to storm TC's cap.

You think Niefelheim is smth to worry about? Look at EA Mictlan. Imagine its lategame potential, especially now - with a shitton of provinces and two caps in posession. Now look at Niefelheim. Now at Mictlan again. Yes, you may start crying now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom