Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dominions Decline 11: The Grimgrinch vs Christmas

Help, I'm being attacked by the guy with - inexplicably - more blesses than me! :lol:

Your bless isn't even true tri-bless. One of them is only minor! Pathetic.

Anyways, this is just a small peacekeeping operation. We encourage you to leave poor Tien Chi alone.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Help, I'm being attacked by the guy with - inexplicably - more blesses than me! :lol:

Your bless isn't even true tri-bless. One of them is only minor! Pathetic.

Anyways, this is just a small peacekeeping operation. We encourage you to leave poor Tien Chi alone.

You have one turn to try and liberate them. Be my guest. :positive:

GCK50pI.jpg

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Think about it, KoolNoodles. Nobody likes genociding warmongers. TC has suffered enough.

Don't you know what happens to the people who destroy entire nations? Let me show you.

flaiym.jpg

tzdsto.jpg

sfndjo.jpg

And that's just this single turn. Therodos will be avenged, mondblut will not be forgotten!

:russia:

KoolNoodles

Arcane
So TNN, Abysia, and Vanheim get a piece of the TC pie(Vanheim got a farmed throne right next door!) and I'm the bad one? Just because I'll be plunging the knife into TC's heart, doesn't mean all these other hands aren't bloody. :rpgcodex:

As to the above, I think I know what happens to weakened nations you can take advantage of while trying to act all high and mighty. :whiteknight: (I am desperately trying to use these new smiles).

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
I'm not trying to take advantage at all - I will return all provinces to Oceania soon enough. It is what it is - an act of vengeance. Razing his temples, killing his people - he has to pay the price for the genocide.

I encourage you to do the right thing. The noble thing. After all, you are currently the strongest nation with overall best position. Show some mercy and compassion?

Isiloon

Arcane
Patron
"you have come second in a beauty contest, collect 1322$"

G5btsbB.png

I win!

This will be spent on reforming the economy and increasing people's pensions (fuck no it wont it will be spent on the military)

syria-putin-grin2.jpg

Dim

Not sure if advertising plant?
And there is never enough time to really pay attention to force distribution. Like how many units do I need to take on Nief's def?

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
It doesn't work like that. At a certain def/prot value you need a hard counter. Considering jarls also have a ton of hp, huge chill value, regen and vine shields etc, you need a really really hard counter. You could throw 500 dudes at them and it wouldn't make a difference.

Ideally a spell, something that holds them in place, or something that increases fatigue a lot, spells that curse or horror mark, or even something that makes them run away. Your other option is thugs designed to kill other thugs. Above water you could try 10 or so commanders armed with special crossbows or bows UW I'm not sure it's really possible unless you have const 6 or something ridiculous like that. Maybe you could try 10 dudes with medallions of vengeance :). So yeah, try to research spells that target single units, spells that can be cast UW. Meanwhile, try to ignore the jarls, use lots of small armies to retake the provinces he takes (small so that if they run into a jarl you don't care when they all die).

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
It doesn't work like that. At a certain def/prot value you need a hard counter. Considering jarls also have a ton of hp, huge chill value, regen and vine shields etc, you need a really really hard counter. You could throw 500 dudes at them and it wouldn't make a difference.

Y do you lie? Throwing a horde of chaff MIGHT work against high def/prot, it all depends on the numbers. You do realize that defence reduces with each incoming attack, right? Furthermore, non-mounted units/commanders lose 2 defence with each attack, and not just one. Next round it returns to the base value, though - that's exactly why you need a HORDE of chaff for this approach to work.

From the manual:

The defense roll can also be modified by a multiple attack penalty, which is what happens when a single unit is attacked by more than one enemy in the course of a single combat round. This is 2 per attack after the first one, so if a unit is attacked by a second unit during a combat round, it suffers a -2 penalty to its roll. If it is attacked by a third unit, it suffers a -4 penalty, and so on.

However, Oceania needs to deal with morale. Why do you think my Jarls win every combat (ok, except for a single embarassing one at the beginning), but Oceania's units mostly survive? That's coz the latter escape almost instantly.

Edit: anyway, Dim. If I were you, I would stop asking for tips, and instead tried to negotiate. It's too late to come up with counters at this point - your gold income is about to go puff.

bjtdag.jpg

Last edited:

Isiloon

Arcane
Patron
Yea don't listen to Grimwulf, I agree with Dread here.

You could try umm.. how about umm.. nah I think you're pretty much screwed unless you get someone to help you at this point.

If you had astral magic you could paralyze his guy, if you had death magic you could skelespam him to death by making him fatigue out (if his re invigoration < encumbrance), fire bonds.. or if it was above ground you could use nature spells to snare him...

If I was you though I would basically cry for help and pay someone else to attack Grimwulf and force his giant to go back to fight the new invader.

Isiloon

Arcane
Patron
Oceania could build like a bunch of guys with 2-3 attacks each, like maybe 80 guys like that would kill the giant.. if they didn't run away.

If you could fight above water you'd have way more options, but under water you're basically expected to out muscle him or use better spells.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
If I was you though I would basically cry for help and pay someone else to attack Grimwulf and force his giant to go back to fight the new invader.

Why do you people always prefer the hard way? Bribe me off, and enjoy friendship and trading with Niefelheim. Free military consultations from Grimwulf as a bonus.

Isiloon

Arcane
Patron
Paying the person who attacked you is a losing strategy, it accepts their dominance and basically means they can push you for more money anytime they want.. paying someone else to fight them off is a winning strategy because there's more people who could accept the offer and therefore you have more bargaining power, it shows the bully (Grimwulf) that you are not alone and asserts strength over them and ummm yea generally capitulating to someone who attacked you is not going to get you far in this game I feel.

Like I have preemptively acquired a master for myself (will not say who) because I realized I am one of the lesser powers and I have no chance of surviving if I don't get one of the big boys to look after me.

My master will protect me from the bad people

maxresdefault.jpg

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
paying someone else to fight them off is a winning strategy

No, it just gives me an excuse to conquer more lands from whoever attacks me.

Like I have preemptively acquired a master for myself (will not say who)

My, aren't you a hypocrite. Encouraging a guy to basically suicide his nation in a hopeless war, while accepting vassalage yourself?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom