Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dominions Decline 11: The Grimgrinch vs Christmas

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
A 5 E and 5 S item is quite pricey. Unless someone with the right paths has dire needs of W gems you should offer either gold or something useful you can forge.
But I'm a noob (also not playing), just my 2c here...

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
I want elfblade for 2x in water gems who trade?

Wish I could help, but alas.

What is a good underwater nation?

EA Oceania is probably the worst, even EA R'lyeh is not as bad, it's just tricky to play and to surface.
- In EA a lot of nations are sort of hybrids, capable of fighting both surface and UW (Agartha, Fomoria, Therodos); among UW-centric ones Atlantis is probably the best.
- In MA all UW nations are playable, with a possible exception of Atlantis. The same thing with hybrids (Xibalba, Agartha).
- In LA there are no weak UW nations. R'lyeh is often banned, though - lots of people find its dominion effect irritating.

sleep cloud works under water?

Sure. It's your best best for N casters in early-midgame. If we speak UW combat, I mean.

what to do against astral something and mind blast?

Astral something souds terrifying. And also unclear.

Mind Blasters you simply ignore. Once they run out of ammunition, they turn into cute little puppies, which you can kill even by cuddling. Antimagic also renders them mostly useless, but I don't think you have S mages to do it.

Dayyālu

Arcane
What is a good underwater nation?

LA Atlantis. And it's not an UW nation!

UW nations are a peculiar breed. Disclaimer: I've never played in MP Pelagia/Oceania, only in SP tests or in "I play everyone for testing" SP games. Most UW nations are weak on the troops side, and have the massive advantage of being safe from rushers and having a ton of time for expansion. Plus, seas are quite rich in gems and you could build an effective research. Plus, UW Thrones. And Heat/Cold seems not to affect too much UW realms.

Furthermore, attacking UW foes that know what they are doing is hell. Some nations can work well UW like Agartha (sucks that you got them as foes) but they are a minority.

Prob is, UW nations pay with a worse pretender selection and subpar troops for aboveland conquest, and you need aboveland conquests to be competitive (or with MA Atlantis to be adequate, even). So UW nations have a safe beginning but risk to be boxed him and forgotten while they slowly dimish to irrilevance.

Sure, some players find fun to go out with Globals from their UW bunkers, but Globals are not that game-winning, bar chaincasting Apocalypse and ruining the game for everyone.

"Good" UW nations to understand the basics are LA Atlantis, that is a tough as nails Aboveland faction with a more than adequate UW selection, MA R'lyeh, that has a good roster but requires some finesse, and mayyybe MA Oceania. MA Xibalba can reach UW quite easily.

On the others:

EA R'lyeh: Huh. Next.
EA Therodos: Therodos is not a UW nation. It's a nation that requires a huge amount of skill to be properly employed, and even in the case it can fail. Not for newbies, and not for UW fans.
EA Atlantis: baseline EA Atlantis is an expensive Ogre nation, with adequate troops (reef dwellers, Deep Ones) awesome mages but everything is slow and expensive as fug. I love it, but it's simply tastes. If you can get a EA newbie game with you as the only UW power, EA Atlantis is a good bet. Research will be expensive though, take Magic scales.
EA Pelagia&EA Oceania: before, they were "Kill everything UW and then rot". Now, I don't know.

MA R'lyeh: Good for what it is. Next.
MA Xibalba: Never played with 'em. Blood/Death nations are not my favourite. Probably the worst Atlantean infantry, though.
MA Atlantis: Huh. Ehm. Huh. NEEEEEEEEEEEEXT. (Finding a way to play MA Atlantis is a dream of mine.)
MA Pelagia&MA Oceania: Don't know again.

LA R'lyeh: MA R'lyeh with domkill and chaff you have to pay for. Not newbie friendly. Never fought it in MP.
LA Atlantis: Aboveland nation. It's good.

Other nations have UW summons or UW troops (Agartha, LA Jomon, LA Xibalba) but they are not so focused. But again, after getting a good land claim you can switch to UW conquests and enjoy the spoils, always nice.

sleep cloud works under water?

Yes. UW combat is buff/HtH land though. Evos work, but it's always a slog.

what to do against astral something and mind blast?

Antimagic is a good counter, if you have it. Mind Blasters are outright godly against newbs/unprepared opponents thanks to their range and focus, but they are somewhat easy to negate for the experienced player. They lose a lot of steam after the earlygame, though, even if they are excellent indie clearers.

But you are against 56 Mercuries. You are, bluntly put, dead.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
I want elfblade for 2x in water gems who trade? What is a good underwater nation? sleep cloud works under water? what to do against astral something and mind blast?

I can forge those for you, but I think it's a waste. How about you give me water gems and I'll forge up a bunch of Bottles of Living Water. Stick em on garbage commanders up front and let the water elementals tangle with those Mercuries while you spam spells or something.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
while you spam spells or something.

I wonder what woul you possibly recommend to spam against Mercuries? Elf Banes won't get him very far, I agree, but neither will spell-spamming. Not against Mercuries.

Bottles are wasteful, since every single Oceania's mage can summon Water Elementals for 1 gem (Summon Water Power should go first). Not a bad bet, if he can match the numbers. Every W3 mage can summon 2-3 elementals tops (IIRC, Oceania has Magic 3), then fatigues out. In order to match 56 Mercuries + chaff, he'd probably need around 50 elementals + chaff of his own. That's at least 20 dedicated summoners.

I really hope he has that much, and preferably more.

:hero:

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
EA and MA Pelagia is king of the uw and then rot underwater - the nations. MA at least has some amphibious troops and mages but they are at best Arco tier.

Oceania is decent uw and bad on land, also bad mages, dont bother.

EA Rlyeh is nigh unplayable, MA Rlyeh can easily get on land and abuse their uw power base to be relatively strong - losses to most uw competition tho. LA Rlyeh has less uw competition but shitty dom kill and shitty not free spawn.

Therodos is hard but definitely playable, sucks uw tho and will lose to any uw nation in a uw fight - their uw troops cant actually fight well uw.

All eras Atlantis are solid on land and less so uw. EA has great but expensive mages, MA is a mixed bag but still playable, LA is a land nation that counters Lemuria and is one of the better LA nations.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
while you spam spells or something.

I wonder what woul you possibly recommend to spam against Mercuries? Elf Banes won't get him very far, I agree, but neither will spell-spamming. Not against Mercuries.

Bottles are wasteful, since every single Oceania's mage can summon Water Elementals for 1 gem (Summon Water Power should go first). Not a bad bet, if he can match the numbers. Every W3 mage can summon 2-3 elementals tops (IIRC, Oceania has Magic 3), then fatigues out. In order to match 56 Mercuries + chaff, he'd probably need around 50 elementals + chaff of his own. That's at least 20 dedicated summoners.

I really hope he has that much, and preferably more.

:hero:

It's to supplement his forces in multiple engagements and get me gems. :smug: I'm playing Oceania right now in Decline7. Cloud the waters with sharks, swarms and elementals(both bottles and summons), then spam the fatigue spells you get with W/N. Numbness, Encase in Ice, Sleep Cloud. Then throw some panics on top. It's not amazing, but if the battle lasts long enough maybe you can wear them out. Too bad you probably don't have Shark Attack/Foul Vapors, or even Bone Melter. Though the mercuries MR is pretty good. Then again, he is probably out of time.

Edit: Lots of Elementals are key though, since their UW regen is pretty dang good, give them wooden warriors/protection.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Wow. Vanheim, you don't have to waste so many E gems on Blights. Next time just send me 20 earth gems each turn, and you can besiege my cap as long as you want - I won't resist.

Harpsichord

Arcane
Looking at the consequences of my decision to join the 'coalition against Mictlan' right now...

...laughing at the sort of gullible and naive fool I had to be to ever hop on that train.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
...laughing at the sort of gullible and naive fool I had to be to ever hop on that train.

Yeah, not everybody gets lucky. Vanheim got himself TC cap and a bunch of provinces; Agartha greatly expanded their borders with no losses; Niefelheim got a single shitty fort. I know how it feelz to be in the loser team.

Isiloon

Arcane
Patron
Looks like a good time for Monkeys to go swimming again, before the pond is too crowded.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Can you just randomly increase it? I'm sure everybody will enjoy the ride. Today we have 48h to make a turn, and tomorrow we have a month. Exciting, right guys? Right?

I regret everything. Somebody sub pls

:negative:

Lizzurd

Cipher
Wow. Vanheim, you don't have to waste so many E gems on Blights. Next time just send me 20 earth gems each turn, and you can besiege my cap as long as you want - I won't resist.
Hey! May I do the same thing in Decline10?

Dim

Not sure if advertising plant?
I have pre forged stuff like rings of frost and basic poison spikes. 15 for water cape brings numbr my hierophants can summon of lesser elements to 4. Wat their stats?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom