Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DONUM – new ZX Spectrum 128k horror adventure

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Fresh from the oven... Haven't played it (yet), but I love how it looks! Very early Macintoshesque graphics.

https://bitfans.itch.io/donum

JpnEDp3.png

VdCilSE.png

Last edited:

f2a

Novice
Bought it, the fact that the game file itself is only 114K (story, black/white graphics, soundtrack — a fantastic chiptune soundtrack too) is sheer madness.

bkxQ0XI.png

Descriptions are short — text eats memory! — and immersive. Arm yourself with pencil and paper, heaphones, take note carefully of each hint.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Looks awesome, insta-buy

Last edited:

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Descriptions are short — text eats memory! — and immersive.
Yeah, one of the big benefits of old school games released for home computers with limited memory is that there's not much room (literally!) for verbal diarrhea to flourish.

f2a

Novice
Finished! The mixture of hunt-the-wumpus plus gory deaths plus puzzles felt right to me. There is a little bit of verb hunting (again, who has memory for synonyms?), so if you get stuck I suggest to check the thread on spectrumcomputing.

Games like this make me wish the author would publish a long postmortem video talking through the code: what languages was used, how he managed to stuff everything on a single tape, which corners were cut, etc. (a great example of such a video is available if you buy Return of the SLIMEPIRES, great production).
In 2022 memory/hardware limitations are no more — or not as stringent — but for sure time and effort (especially for independent developers) are a part of the equation, so there are lessons to be learned.

A damn fine looking game! I hope for a cassette release. I'd love to play it on my Speccy 128 +2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom