Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DOOM 64 official PC rerelease from Nightdive Studios

Boleskine

Arcane

https://af.gog.com/game/doom_64?as=1649904300

https://www.pcgamer.com/doom-64-has-been-unexpectedly-rated-for-pc/

Doom 64 has been unexpectedly rated for PC
It looks like it's escaping N64 jail after two decades.

PPy6h5zPGr5mUw7an9YiNi-320-80.jpg

Doom 64, 1997's N64 exclusive, resurrected the demonic horde and once again sent the gurning Doomguy in to clean up the mess with his wide range of large guns. Though similar to the first two Dooms, it boasted flashier graphics, new weapons and a bunch of new corridors to use them in. After 22 years, it looks like it's finally going to appear outside the N64.

A PEGI rating let slip the news. It's gone now, but not before Gematsu was able to capture the listing for posterity. "The Demons have returned even stronger and more vicious than before. As the only experienced survivor of the Doom episode, your commission is reactivated," it reads.

It will apparently be appearing on PC and PS4, though details clearly aren't set in stone—it also has a release date of last Friday.

With almost every other Doom readily available, and Doom Eternal on the horizon, I'm not really itching to replay the N64 version, but it might still be a novelty worth checking out if you never owned Nintendo's last cartridge console. It was pretty much Doom 3 until the official sequel came along.

Last edited by a moderator:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I'm fine with the mod/port/whatever honestly, but if they make a decent version without bullshit Bethesda account requirements then I'll throw 'em a few bucks. Great game.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Wonder if the port was made by the same guy who did Powerslave EX, which got C&D letter...
They do love borrow some work from others, first System Shock Portable.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
I wonder what they will add to this version, as Doom64 EX has been out for years and worked pretty well.
Wishful thinking on my part, but it'd be nice if they added all the missing Doom 2 monsters and the spider mastermind.
Were they cut from N64 (all art assets produced, but removed from the ROM for whatever reason) or nothing related to them has been produced at all?

k0syak

Cipher
I wonder what they will add to this version, as Doom64 EX has been out for years and worked pretty well.
Played the Doom 64 Retribution a few weeks ago and IMHO it's better despite minor inconsistencies.

Were they cut from N64 (all art assets produced, but removed from the ROM for whatever reason) or nothing related to them has been produced at all?
Likely the later, otherwise they would have surfaced by now.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Only thing I know is that the sound assets for those critters is available, since all the enemy sounds are the same as the PSX Doom (the same bloke also did the music for both games).

Last edited:

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Only thing I know is that the sound assets for those critters is available, since all the enemy sounds are the same as the PSX Doom (the same bloke also did the music for both games).
Sounds are one thing. If they had the graphics in place, it could be doable.

Otherwise, I don't think it's going to happen -- redoing these monster sprites using the same style and techniques but with a different artist sounds like too much work for a quick commercial release of Doom64 EX.

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
I played both Doom 1 and 2 a couple years back and had a blast. Doom 64 is the one I have the most nostalgia for since it was the first Doom game I every played. Also scared the shit out of me as a kid due to the music and general dark horror atmosphere.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Sounds are one thing. If they had the graphics in place, it could be doable.

Otherwise, I don't think it's going to happen -- redoing these monster sprites using the same style and techniques but with a different artist sounds like too much work for a quick commercial release of Doom64 EX.
Like i said, wishful thinking on my part. I'm content with an official release of Doom 3 on the PC finally.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I never played Doom 64 in my life. I always assumed it would have sucked. Then I decided to watch gameplay of it one night a few years back and saw it was actually pretty good.

But not good enough to buy. I'll just pirate the fuckin' thing and do Our Lord fantadomat proud.

https://tcrf.net/Doom_64

According to Tim Heydelaar, the monsters from Doom 2 that didn't make it into the game were cut due to storage constraints. Apparently, there were intentions to include at least the Revenant, since Randy Estrella has expressed his favoritism towards the enemy. Other sounds related to the Revenant are found whithin the ROM, but are given different names and uses. The swinging fist sound (originally DSSKESWG, renamed SNDDART in Doom 64) is reused as part of the dart traps found in some of the maps, and the Revenant fireball sound (DSSKEATK, named SNDTRACR in Doom 64) is used by the homing fireball traps, as well as Mother Demon's homing fireball attack.

mindfields

Learned
I played the EX port of it not long ago, very fun and suprisingly atmospheric, though the final boss was insane (apparently because I didn't do the Unmaker weapon thingy). Also the sprites are amazing in it, the Imps actually look like demons in it (as opposed to Wookies like in original Doom).

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
I played the EX port of it not long ago, very fun and suprisingly atmospheric, though the final boss was insane (apparently because I didn't do the Unmaker weapon thingy). Also the sprites are amazing in it, the Imps actually look like demons in it (as opposed to Wookies like in original Doom).
I've never managed to beat the Mother Demon without the upgraded unmaker.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/doom-64-rated-by-australian-classification-board/

Doom 64 rated by Australian classification board
GAME WAS ALSO REPORTEDLY RATED FOR EUROPE IN JULY

The Australian classification board has rated Doom 64 for release on multiple unspecified platforms from publisher Bethesda.

On August 30 the title was classified Mature, meaning it’s not recommended for children under the age of 15.

Doom 64 originally launched exclusively for Nintendo 64 in 1997, published by Midway Games.

European classification body PEGI also reportedly rated Doom 64 for release on PC and PlayStation 4 in July.

The PEGI classification was spotted around the same time Bethesda announced surprise releases for the original Doom, Doom 2 and Doom 3 on consoles and mobile devices.

The launches coincided with the QuakeCon 2019 convention, which had a heavy Doom focus to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the influential shooter series.

The latest Doom instalment, Doom Eternal, will release on November 22, 2019for PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Switch and Stadia.

For more on the game, see VGC’s recent Doom Eternal interview with id Software executive producer Marty Stratton and creative director Hugo Martin.

Doom Eternal is available to pre-order at Amazon and Game UK.

How good it is?
It's very good. Has slightly more of a horror theme like Doom 3, but plays more like Doom 1 and 2. It definitely deserves to be in the same lineup as 1-2-3-2016. Only thing I'd really bitch about that isn't just an artistic/stylistic choice is I wish the weapons had more "Doom-like" animation, but they're closer to Quake in that regard. The shotgun just sorta jiggling, for example.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom