Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Doom and the Golden Age of FPS

fork

Easier to make linear shit that follows a similar theme that has proven to sell vs. having to design levels creatively and try to make something that looks and feels fresh that might not sell.

I actually disagree, even if that seems to be the most likely explanation at first glance.

I think that the changing demographics of people who now "consume" games are responsible, rather than the ease of producing the respective content: What used to be pupils, students, nerds and neets, are now girls, cucks, faggots, niggers and retards. The gaming industry went from prestigious niche to imbecile mainstream, Hollywood customers. I'd even say old-school game design, especially in FPSs, would be cheaper to produce than the cinematic, linear retard-traps of today, by a mile.

It's the unwashed masses, who are as dumb as, or even dumber than, animals, who are resposible for the the decline of everything, including FPSs.

You just have to compare the soundtracks of the original Dooms to newer stuff. Or even semi-official mods like Perdition's Gate for example. They used to cater to metal-heads and similarly niche stuff. If you listen to more recent FPS soundtracks, they're worse than Limp Bizkit dude-bro shit, which was pathetic back then already.

Last edited by a moderator:

Generic-Giant-Spider

If you listen to more recent FPS soundtracks, they're worse than Limp Bizkit dude-bro shit, which was pathetic shit back then already.

Or it's generic Hollywood "epic movie" orchestra shit. Even nuDoom has trash music (despite being made by alleged GOD Mickey Gordie) that is just a bunch of noise you don't give a shit about.

I liked Doom's more dark/atmospheric tracks:

fork

Absolutely right. And I'm saying the problem is that the average video game customer has gotten more retarded, not that nowaday's shit content is cheaper to produce. On the contrary, Doom had screens of text instead of cinematic cut-scenes. But the gameplay-, level and art-design was just that much more sophisticated. But that's not expensive, it's just a matter of (good or bad) taste: Most Doom/Doom2-mods have better level design than nuDoom, and they're free.

Falksi

Arcane
Struggling to think of any FPS games which I've enjoyed since the turn of the century.

Far Cry 2, FEAR 2, The Darkness......erm.....that's about it.

fork

If you listen to more recent FPS soundtracks, they're worse than Limp Bizkit dude-bro shit, which was pathetic shit back then already.

Or it's generic Hollywood "epic movie" orchestra shit. Even nuDoom has trash music (despite being made by alleged GOD Mickey Gordie) that is just a bunch of noise you don't give a shit about.

I liked Doom's more dark/atmospheric tracks:

Your examples are pretty much perfect already, but let me post Perdition's Gate soundtrack as well, which is way unerrated as amod as well.

fork

There are several other FPSs which deserve a mention imo (in the order of popping into my mind):

Exhumed/Powerslave
Alien Trilogy
Doom 64
KISS: Psycho Circus: The Nightmare Child (obscure as fuck, but well worth playing!)
Disruptor
Painkiller
Turok
Prey (2006)

I really don't get why there are no good FPSs anymore. It's not that hard: cool setting, level and art design, atmosphere, music and a bad-ass player character, enemies and weaponry. Must be a Zeitgeist thing, since every single point on that list appears to be unachievable by nowadays' devs, and the (niche) audience would still be there. All these pathetic retro rip-offs disgust me though.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Easier to make linear shit that follows a similar theme that has proven to sell vs. having to design levels creatively and try to make something that looks and feels fresh that might not sell.

I actually disagree, even if that seems to be the most likely explanation at first glance.

I think that the changing demographics of people who now "consume" games are responsible, rather than the ease of producing the respective content: What used to be pupils, students, nerds and neets, are now girls, cucks, faggots, niggers and retards. The gaming industry went from prestigious niche to imbecile mainstream, Hollywood customers. I'd even say old-school game design, especially in FPSs, would be cheaper to produce than the cinematic, linear retard-traps of today, by a mile.

It's the unwashed masses, who are as dumb as, or even dumber than, animals, who are resposible for the the decline of everything, including FPSs.

It's not just the masses.

The recent thread about the tastes of the "elite" going to shit reminded me of the problem:

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...brow-lyric-suites-lament.139430/#post-7408027

Which is that the devs themselves have become retarded too.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Played this for the first time last year and I had no idea it was as good as it is. I had always assumed the console ports of Doom were copy/pasted PC Doom and in the case of N64 likely watered down and censored.

It has one hell of an OST and some of the redesigned monsters actually look better to me than their classic counterparts. '90s graphics and hearing a soundtrack with weird ambience and children wailing is some good atmospheric shit.

schru

Arcane
Doom and Final Doom for PlayStation weren't straightforward ports either. They have music by the same composer who later worked on Doom 64 and while the levels adapted from the original games had their size reduced, there are also new levels made specifically for those releases.

Pound Meat

Prophet
I haven't played this one, but it looks really, really good.

Holy shit, bro, I was looking for this game forever. I remember playing it in arcades when it was new and absolutely sucking at it because I could never get anyone to join me. (Arcades around here were already drying up.) The best part was the screen of the hot lady soldier peeling off her top and saying she'd give you the shirt off her back.

Pentium

Learned
KISS: Psycho Circus: The Nightmare Child
wtf lol this looks sick!

It's not the best thing ever, but it's better than almost anything recent and good enough that I find it puzzling it's not mentioned more often. I guess it's somewhat of a hidden gem.
Lol I had a period when I would play the demo over and over as a kid. Loopy af but I think I would like to see the whole thing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom