Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Doom boxart artist dies of heart attack

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Don Ivan Punchatz, the artist who helped id Software launch Doom to a greatness by designing the artwork on the box and promotional materials, has died of cardiac arrest.

Don, who also provided art for publications such as Playboy, National Geographic, TIME and National Lampoon, suffered a cardiac arrest on October 11 and did not regain consciousness.

After nearly two weeks of intensive tests, doctors concluded that there was no chance of recovery and no brain activity, advising the family to remove him from life support, aged 73.

"He never wanted to be kept alive like this," Greg Punchatz, Don's son, said to SpectrumFantasticArt, "so we are respecting his wishes."

Don's work was best known to gamers for his efforts on the Doom packaging - the iconic image of the space marine shooting down into the hellish hordes - but that was only a small part of his work. His styles varied hugely between photo-realism and surrealism and he was affectionately known as 'The Godfather of Dallas Illustration' for his work in founding Sketch Pad Studios, which helped launch other artists to greatness.

Testaments to Don's ability were left by a number of notable figures, including author Ray Bradbury, who wrote the following passage about him.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2009/10/30/doom-boxart-artist-dies-of-heart-attack/1

doom.jpg

Ch1ef

Scholar
Damn. Thanks for info dude.

BETHESDA KILLED HIM

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Vampy is trying to be nonconformist again.

Butthurt people here prefer Doom to your piece of shit "I'll just stand behind this box waiting for my health to regenerate and shoot at them enemies without getting hurt" shooters?

Difera

Educated
Funny how the other marine on the background always personif

Funny how the other marine on the background always personified the concept of lag for me... I would play over modem with my friend and always have a fight over who would be the host, the client would always be like that other marine...

That guy sure was a visionary...

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
doom.jpg

I always liked the :smug: demon on the bottom left corner. It's like he's implying "hey what the fuck is this idiot thinkin".

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
racofer said:
I would like to see a fanfict on the daily routine of a demon from the Doom universe.

No you don't. Because we all know that all fan fic that is written or will ever will be written is gay. ALL OF IT! And yes that includes the ones you have written Racofer....Especially that Squall and Sephiroth one.

aries202

Erudite
-ehm-

Why, oh why, does it say that he died of heart attak? or even cardiac arrest? Back 10 or 20 years, this would have been put down to natural causes i.e. dying of old age or something like that. At 73 years old, you've lived your life...

and RIP to him...

Micmu

Magister
An artist? Pfft.. He probably OD'd on coke

Edit: I feel bad for my evil words. The art ist gut

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom