Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Doom mod recommendations?

deama

Prophet
So I'm on about total conversions and I was wondering if there are any good ones? From memory, I remember playing 2 different ones, one was where you played as a dragon/drake, the second one you played as a cyborg or a guy in heavy suit, and it had a helmet UI overlay, it kinda looked like alpha version of prodeus if that makes sense.

Anyway, I actually don't like the standard level design of doom, so I was wondering if there are any that have more of an open level design, kinda like unreal?
I'd also like there to be some progression, either metroidvania esque, or straight up leveling up.
Anything like that out there?

Kao

Novice
So I'm on about total conversions and I was wondering if there are any good ones? From memory, I remember playing 2 different ones, one was where you played as a dragon/drake, the second one you played as a cyborg or a guy in heavy suit, and it had a helmet UI overlay, it kinda looked like alpha version of prodeus if that makes sense.

Anyway, I actually don't like the standard level design of doom, so I was wondering if there are any that have more of an open level design, kinda like unreal?
I'd also like there to be some progression, either metroidvania esque, or straight up leveling up.
Anything like that out there?

Project Brutality has weapon progression, upgrades, and evolved enemy variants of all the classic Doom monsters.

Doom Roguelike Arsenal is essentially applying a Binding of Isaac style combinatorial upgrade system to Doom

Project Complexity (and its variants like LSD) adds lots and lots of weapon and creature variants, upgrades and progression which is all heavily randomized.

Pick one of those three mods and play through a big open world style map with it.

Doom: ONE takes each of the original Doom episodes and connects all their levels into one large map.

Doom Open World takes ALL the levels and connects them into a massive open world map with I think hubs for each of the episodes.

Foursite 4-in-1 is a a big gigantic campaign all contained in one continuous map.

Also, I’ve not played it because it’s newer, but seems like Doom EXP has an emphasis on leveling and progression:
https://youtu.be/Y1A_3vXK7SI

There is a cool Dragon Ball mod for Doom, I haven't played it since 2002 but it has inceribly creative sprites that replaced original weapons:

1. Chainsas - Kuririn's Kienzan / Fist - Goku's Fist
2. Pistol - Yamcha's blast
3. Shotgun - Tenshinhan's Kikoho
4. Chaingun - Android 18 spamming ki attacks
5. Rocket Launcher - Vegeta's Bing Bang Attack
6. Plasma Gun - Piccolo's Makanosappo
7. BGD - Goku's Kamehameha

Zombies were turn into Saibamen and Cacodemon was 1st form Freeza on his flying pod, Berserk was Kaioken.

This mod was awesome.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I liked the Operation Body Count TC somebody did. Its not exactly a conversation of it, its more in the spirit of it, but making something entertaining. The author also did one for the Fortress of Dr. Radaikai, but that was a more traditional Doom mod.
Action Doom 2 is also pretty cool, but that turns the game into a beat 'em up, so its not really what you want.
Something interesting I tried relatively recently was Zombies, which is Dawn of the Dead. I think there was a recent remake that allowed ZDoom engines to handle it better. Its very open, but perhaps too open.
Haven't played them myself, but what about the mods of that one Russian guy who got crapped on last year? The guy did a bunch of RPGs in the engine, I think one of them is called Ascension?

deama

Prophet
Not quite what I'm looking for here, I think Doom EXP is the closest one, but it looks like it uses the original doom levels? I hate the original doom levels, is there anything that is like Doom EXP but with unreal's level design?

Kao

Novice
Not quite what I'm looking for here, I think Doom EXP is the closest one, but it looks like it uses the original doom levels? I hate the original doom levels, is there anything that is like Doom EXP but with unreal's level design?
You can use these mods with any vanilla map you want, and probably with many modded maps as well. So, if you like the play system Doom EXP provides, all you need to do now is find some maps which cater to your level design sensibilities. It's been such a long time since I played Unreal that I don't quite know what you're after, here; but if you mean "giant sprawling maps with lots of open spaces, where you hit a switch on one end of the map and it opens something up clear on the other side," well there are plenty of those out there you'll just have to do some digging. Maybe browse through the Cacowards, especially more recent years, when giant maps made specifically for the expanded capabilities of GZDoom started to emerge.

Or you could play this :)
https://www.moddb.com/mods/unreal-gold-remake-in-gzdoom/downloads/unreal-rpg-gzdoom-mod-v189-alpha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Fv2JBY-hyM

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
If you are into eldritch Lovecraftian shit, try Shrine 1/2 (available on Steam, for free). The first part, while not bad, is more of a creepy re-skin; the second part, on the other hand, is also quite interesting in terms of game design.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
There was one with a vector visual style that takes place in the matrix that I liked but the platforming sequence where you had to ride a surfboard on a sea of cyberspace then as the wave died you had to jump on another surfboard, then when that wave died, you had to jump on another, and when that wave- and so on and so on. If you didn't catch the next surfboard and land perfectly on it, then jump to the next one, repeat, it was game over. Naturally I couldn't do it so I had to quit. It was the most fun I had not having fun in a Doom pwad. I recommend it.

That Star Wars pwad was great; the one by the autistic guy - Paul something - who used to bite into and eat fresh lemons on his youtube channel because he felt it had a massive health benefit. Finished that one no problem. Forget the title though. It was AAA-level quality through & through (though that might be considered a backhanded compliment these days).

toughasnails

What about Brutal Doom? i heard it's so extreme that only the most rad dudes play it.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
giant sprawling maps with lots of open spaces, where you hit a switch on one end of the map and it opens something up clear on the other side,
Eternal Doom wad

Eternal Doom, if it's the one I'm thinking of, is dated, and is a hideous and hideously annoying hidden key/switch hunt where you have to backtrack again and again over massive, sprawling levels. I would only recommend that wad as a cruel joke to a codexer I hated.

Gostak

Educated
Not quite what you asked for I guess (no TC, and usual Doom key progression but nothing else IIRC)
but infinite content.
Way back I played Oblige generated wads.
You could tweak some params of course.
It produced pretty good maps for a randomized generator even back then.

It seems its continuation nowadays is Obsidian to which a link is found here at the start:
https://caligari87.github.io/ObAddon/

Quick glimpse of said params

Last edited:

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
giant sprawling maps with lots of open spaces, where you hit a switch on one end of the map and it opens something up clear on the other side,
Eternal Doom wad

Eternal Doom, if it's the one I'm thinking of, is dated, and is a hideous and hideously annoying hidden key/switch hunt where you have to backtrack again and again over massive, sprawling levels. I would only recommend that wad as a cruel joke to a codexer I hated.
Anyone who uses word "dated" for games is a retard.
Otherwise yes, Eternal Doom maps are too big and cryptic as fuck but the guy specifically asked for such a wad

Gostak

Educated
Heh, this random gen's continuation tempted me.
I compiled from the latest commit and promptly got stuck in a secret on the second map
of the campaign it generated.

Params should allow to tweak the results for more open levels at least btw.

What is the engine used there?

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Eternal Doom wad

Anyone who uses word "dated" for games is a retard.
Otherwise yes, Eternal Doom maps are too big and cryptic as fuck but the guy specifically asked for such a wad

Anyone who thinks that the word "dated" can't be applied to games or that the word shouldn't be used is too ol' to live and should immediately present themselves to the local Euthanasia Center to be processed into crackers. This is 2022, after all.

N3GYOJS.jpg

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Actually using dated in that sense might indicate the year it was created as in the dated control scheme of MGS 2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom