Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DOS RPGs that can be played without a mouse?

DeusX1

Educated
Hello,

Because of some health problems I need to spend most my days in bed and I figure is a good time to play some proper crpgs. The only problem is I cannot use a mouse, I'm going to map the keys to a gamepad, so my options are limited. I tried some emulators with jrpgs since they are designed without mouse in mind, but jrpgs are just not my cup of tea. I'm also thinking to try some old pc to console ports(for the nes etc), but I heard most of them are horrible.
So any recommendations?

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Any CRPG that was made before mouse support was popularized.

So IIRC, Wizardry 1-5 (which CAN in fact be played using pure gamepad if you find the translated SNES/PSX roms), Ultima I-V, Might and Magic etc. I would seriously go for the SNES remake of Wizardry, works just fine with the gamepad and you get the turn based blobber goodness. There is also a decent port of Ultima IV for the Sega Master System.

It's a bit late so I'm drawing a few blanks, but you get the idea.

bussinrounds

Augur
I just recently played Fallout, Pool of Radiance/Curse, Planescape...with a pad/on a TV, lying back in a recliner and it was fine. (actually flipped flopped back and forth between that and m&k/monitor..depending on where I wanted to be)

These games aren't Arma 2 with a thousand commands.

Last edited:

haraw

Educated
Any CRPG that was made before mouse support was popularized.

So IIRC, Wizardry 1-5 (which CAN in fact be played using pure gamepad if you find the translated SNES/PSX roms), Ultima I-V, Might and Magic etc. I would seriously go for the SNES remake of Wizardry, works just fine with the gamepad and you get the turn based blobber goodness. There is also a decent port of Ultima IV for the Sega Master System.

It's a bit late so I'm drawing a few blanks, but you get the idea.

Yeah, and Wiz 6 & 7. They are ten times faster to play without mouse. Even though the former is somewhat clunky because there's no shortcut keys.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Hello,

Because of some health problems I need to spend most my days in bed and I figure is a good time to play some proper crpgs. The only problem is I cannot use a mouse, I'm going to map the keys to a gamepad, so my options are limited. I tried some emulators with jrpgs since they are designed without mouse in mind, but jrpgs are just not my cup of tea. I'm also thinking to try some old pc to console ports(for the nes etc), but I heard most of them are horrible.
So any recommendations?
I used a mouse, but probably Ultima Underworld.

Destroid

Arcane
Wasteland looks like it would be fine without mouse. Ur-Quan Masters and Starflight, although those are more unconventional as rpgs.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Nearly all DOS era CRPGs should be playable with mouse keyboard only. Only exceptions I can think of are real time games like Dungeon Master and clones, Ultima Underworld games, early TES games, and some Amiga only games (or games that wanted desperately to be Amiga games, like Albion). But I'm not sure if all the real time games I mentioned actually require a mouse.

Last edited:

Garryydde

Arcane
Patron
Douchebag! Repressed Homosexual
Anything can be played without a mouse if you have enough dedication.

Severian Silk

How did you post here if you can't use a mouse?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Nearly all DOS era CRPGs should be playable with mouse only. Only exceptions I can think of are real time games like Dungeon Master and clones, Ultima Underworld games, early TES games, and some Amiga only games (or games that wanted desperately to be Amiga games, like Albion). But I'm not sure if all the real time games I mentioned actually require a mouse.

Actually, Eye of the Beholder can be played without a mouse.

It's not elegant and it's only the first game, but there you go.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nearly all DOS era CRPGs should be playable with mouse only.

I think you meant "keyboard only" there.

OP: Not exactly an RPG, but go play Star Control 2, the best game from the 90s that actually has no mouse support whatsoever.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There are a ton of DOS era games that offered (or only supported) keyboard only. I'm pretty sure most Wizardries, Might and Magics, Darklands (this one I'm sure of), support keyboard only.

The original Sid Meier's Pirates! does as well (not quite an rpg).

Roguelikes typically have a keyboard-only interface. DOS or not, it sounds like you've got a lot of time on your hands, so you might wanna check 'em out.

mondblut

Arcane
Goldbox games have mouse support only as an afterthought, can't go wrong with them for kb-only experience.

Multi-headed Cow

Might and Magic I-V should keep you busy and entertained.
Was gonna say, when I did Xeen recently it actually plays better keyboard-only. For some reason I think there were a few areas I used the mouse but I can't remember off the top of my head why they were/why.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Goldbox games, M&M games, early Wizardry games, some very cool PSX games...even the FF remakes

GlutenBurger

Cipher
The only problem is I cannot use a mouse, I'm going to map the keys to a gamepad, so my options are limited.

Do you mean that you want to play without a keyboard either? Because the first answer that came to mind reading the title alone was "most of them." If the question is actually asking for DOS RPGs that can be played with the number of keypresses offered by a gamepad, the options are more limited. How many buttons does yours have?

You could also get a trackball.

flabbyjack

Arcane
Are you in for a treat! DF2014 is practically a DOS RPG and it can ONLY be played with a keyboard.. The problem is that the learning curve can be pretty steep. http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

We could also find a game that you have to shout at to get it to work, wouldn't that also meet your strange arcane requirements?
Severian Silk Try it. It's possible.

Poor OP's wife don't let him have a mouse. Or maybe she just doesn't let him have a hand instead.
dzdJuc.jpg

Y'know you can get a 'mouse' with a lot of buttons on it and play almost all games 1-handed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom