Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dos wargames

L'ennui

Magister
Hi y'all,

So basically I have little to no time for gaming these days.Full time job, wife is pregnant, etc.etc.

Every once in a while, I manage to squeeze in a lan with my friends, but in between those sweet, sweet bouts of pure pleasure, he only gaming I can do is on the go, on my cellphone. Luckily, dosbox runs just fine on it so I'd like some recommendations for good wargames (or just strategy games in general). Nothing requiring any twitch, preferably turn-based.

Help me, hivemind, you are my only hope.

Envoyé depuis mon SGH-T999V avec Tapatalk

KoolNoodles

Arcane
I used to play a ton of old Avalon Hill wargames that made it to DOS back when I was a kid. Operation Market Garden, Stalingrad, etc. They were pretty good, though not as good as the newer Operational Art of War etc. The original Steel Panthers was on DOS as well.

You could also try Civilization and/or Master of Orion 1/2. They both have a lot of war.

L'ennui

Magister
Thanks for the suggestions, keep 'em coming! Civilization 1 is a bit too basic compared to other dos games that are still very best, gameplay-wise... I don't feel it aged particularly well. Master of Orion 2 is already one of my favorite phone games, yeah. I'll try Panzer General and see which Avalon Hill games might interest me.

Ion Prothon II

Liturgist
Can't recall anything worthwhile from DOS 'pure' wargames, besides:
Battle Isle and its mods / clones (like eg. History Line, Perfect General)
Warlords II Deluxe
HoMM
Panzer General and its mods / clones (Fantasy General)
There was also Empires Deluxe, some kind of shovelware, but kinda fun.

IMHO far more games (and with graphics equal to DOS VGA) of this genre were available for Amiga. Then, almost all titles were released for Win9x.

As for more hybridal or complex games:
Master of Orion
Ascendancy
Reunion
Master of Magic
Lords of the Realm
Sid Meyer's Colonization
Conquest of the New World

spectre

Arcane
Enemy Unknown and Terror From the Deep ran on DOS. So did Apocalypse IIRC.

Ion Prothon II

Liturgist
I'm not too much into Amiga strategies, so I know only the most mainstream titles: Sabre Team, Castles, K240, Centurion, Defender of the Crown, Megalomania. I believe some of them were also ported to DOS. Also, Battle Isle and clones, since it was originally an Amiga game.

Any search through a roms collection shows an impressive number of games tagged as 'strategy'. Don't know if they're worth anything, but I expect it should be better than the pre- VGA titles for DOS.

Repressed Homosexual
It is especially terrible to play games on a touch screen, especially emulated ones, and most of all emulation of computer games with mostly keyboard-based games. I don't know how you even begin to manage it. I soon gave up. I also have far less time for gaming, I play games on my Vita though, and my laptop.

Gregz

Arcane
Can't recall anything worthwhile from DOS 'pure' wargames, besides:
Battle Isle and its mods / clones (like eg. History Line, Perfect General)
Warlords II Deluxe
HoMM
Panzer General and its mods / clones (Fantasy General)
There was also Empires Deluxe, some kind of shovelware, but kinda fun.

IMHO far more games (and with graphics equal to DOS VGA) of this genre were available for Amiga. Then, almost all titles were released for Win9x.

As for more hybridal or complex games:
Master of Orion
Ascendancy
Reunion
Master of Magic
Lords of the Realm
Sid Meyer's Colonization
Conquest of the New World

^ Best in thread +

Civ 2 and RTS classics like:

Dune 2
Warcraft
Warcraft 2

L'ennui

Magister
Alas, I think Civ2 doesn't run on Dos. I've tried Warcraft 2 and it runs just fine, but playing a fast-paced RTS with a touch screen and no keyboard shortcuts is just too impractical...

L'ennui

Magister
Alas, I think Civ2 doesn't run on Dos. I've tried Warcraft 2 and it runs just fine, but playing a fast-paced RTS with a touch screen and no keyboard shortcuts is just too impractical...

L'ennui

Magister
It is especially terrible to play games on a touch screen, especially emulated ones, and most of all emulation of computer games with mostly keyboard-based games. I don't know how you even begin to manage it. I soon gave up. I also have far less time for gaming, I play games on my Vita though, and my laptop.

For turn-based or other non-twitch and mostly mouse-oriented games, like adventure games, it actually works quite well. Playing Master of Orion 2 on a touchscreen is no better or worse than with a mouse on a computer, as is playing Day of the Tentacle. But it does limit the games you can pay to certain genres.For instance, I don't think I'll be trying Doom any time soon...

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Just make sure that the version you're buying has a colour manual. I got a crappy black and white version for some reason.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom