Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DOSBox Settings for Battlespire

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'm trying to run Battlespire right now and the game is being difficult.

I have all the game files in my Dosbox directory and use the following commands at the prompt:

mount c e:\dosbox
mount d e:\dosbox\batspire\cd -t cdrom
memsize=64

The game doesn't recognize the memsize I gave it and says I still do not have enough memory (it requires 40MB I think). I choose to continue anyway, and get through character creation and onto the map, but I can only take a few steps towards some small humanoids before I see something that reads like 'Code 0 error' or some such before dropping back to the prompt in DOSBox. Not sure what settings other folks are using, but I've been tweaking memsize in a number of ways and still can't get any further.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm trying to run Battlespire right now and the game is being difficult.

I have all the game files in my Dosbox directory and use the following commands at the prompt:

mount c e:\dosbox
mount d e:\dosbox\batspire\cd -t cdrom
memsize=64

The game doesn't recognize the memsize I gave it and says I still do not have enough memory (it requires 40MB I think). I choose to continue anyway, and get through character creation and onto the map, but I can only take a few steps towards some small humanoids before I see something that reads like 'Code 0 error' or some such before dropping back to the prompt in DOSBox. Not sure what settings other folks are using, but I've been tweaking memsize in a number of ways and still can't get any further.

I'm hopeful someone smarter than I am can answer this as I've been having the exact same issues lately trying to get this game to run... :x

mindx2

Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
How come you old cunts don't have a proper computer to play old games anyway? Emulation is for children.
I've actually been thinking about doing just that (build an old DOS rig) as sometimes I think I might actually miss messing around with the Config.sys and expanded memory settings... ahhhh, to live in the 80s again...

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Here is my dosbox.conf for Battlespire
Code:
[sdl]
fullscreen=true
fulldouble=false
fullresolution=desktop
windowresolution=0
output=ddraw
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true
priority=higher,normal
mapperfile=mapper.txt
pixelshader=none
usescancodes=false

[dosbox]
language=
machine=svga_s3
captures=capture
memsize=63

[render]
frameskip=0
aspect=false
scaler=none

[cpu]
core=auto
cputype=auto
cycles=auto
cycleup=500
cycledown=20

[mixer]
nosound=false
rate=44100
blocksize=2048
prebuffer=10

[midi]
mpu401=uart
device=default
config=

[sblaster]
sbtype=sb16
sbbase=220
irq=7
dma=1
hdma=5
mixer=true
oplmode=auto
oplrate=44100
hardwarebase=220

[gus]
gus=false
gusrate=44100
gusbase=240
irq1=5
irq2=5
dma1=3
dma2=3
ultradir=C:\ULTRASND

[speaker]
pcspeaker=true
pcrate=44100
tandy=auto
tandyrate=44100
disney=false

[joystick]
joysticktype=none
timed=true
autofire=false
swap34=false
buttonwrap=true

[serial]
serial1=dummy
serial2=dummy
serial3=disabled
serial4=disabled

[printer]
printer=true
dpi=360
width=85
height=110
printoutput=png
multipage=false
docpath=.
timeout=0

[parallel]
parallel1=disabled
parallel2=disabled
parallel3=disabled

[glide]
glide=true
grport=600
lfb=full

[dos]
xms=true
ems=true
umb=true
keyboardlayout=none

[ipx]
ipx=true

[ne2000]
ne2000=false
nicbase=300
nicirq=3
macaddr=AC:DE:48:88:99:AA
realnic=list

[autoexec]
@ Echo off
MOUNT C HD -freesize 300
IMGMOUNT D HD\Battlespire.cue -t iso
C:
CD BATSPIRE
SPIRE
It works perfectly.

Here is also spire.cfg file.
Code:
path C:\BATSPIRE\
pathcd D:\
bypass 1
captions 1
OBJMEMSIZE 4000
gamma 1.5
video S3 Incorporated. Trio64

P.S. Battlespire is truly great. TBH I like it even more than Ultima Underworld.

Last edited:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
First: make ABSOLUTELY sure you installed the official patch. The game will never, ever run without it (even without DOSBox, it didn't run on most hardware)
Second: memsize should be 63, not 64. I don't know why, but there's something funky in the way the variable works in DOSBox

Let me know if adjusting these 2 things improve. If not I'll start messing around with settings myself.

Unless you have a monstrous PC the game won't run very smooth, but we'll get to that later.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Shit. Some 'helpful' moderator just buried this thread in the Bethesda subforum. Glad there are some folks that know what they are talking about still watching this thread, though its current placement narrows the number of people who might find it.

I'll give the suggested changes a go later tonight and report how it goes.

mindx2

Patron
First: make ABSOLUTELY sure you installed the official patch. The game will never, ever run without it (even without DOSBox, it didn't run on most hardware)
Second: memsize should be 63, not 64. I don't know why, but there's something funky in the way the variable works in DOSBox

Let me know if adjusting these 2 things improve. If not I'll start messing around with settings myself.

Unless you have a monstrous PC the game won't run very smooth, but we'll get to that later.
How do I use the patch on a x64 system?

mindx2

Patron
I ended up unzipping it from Windows and overwriting all the files from the patch folder.

Edit: Well it patched correctly (it shows as v1.5) but I'm still crashing every time the scamp starts to talk to me. I get the error "code: 0 not found in c:\batspire>"

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
I ended up unzipping it from Windows and overwriting all the files from the patch folder.

Edit: Well it patched correctly (it shows as v1.5) but I'm still crashing every time the scamp starts to talk to me. I get the error "code: 0 not found in c:\batspire>"

I had the same error, until I used Sordid MCA's configurations. I went to the Windows Start -> Programs -> DOSBox -> Options -> DOSBox Options and it opened up the Dosbox cfg file in Notepad. From there, I copied and pasted SMCA's suggested config and changed the last two mount lines for the C drive and D drive to reflect where I stored my own files.

Where he had this:

MOUNT C HD -freesize 300

I had this:

MOUNT C e:\dosbox -freesize 300
IMGMOUNT D e:\dosbox\batspire\cd\Battlespire.mdf -t iso

Also note that my battlespire iso file is a .mdf file and not a .cue file.

I also changed the spire.cfg file to his settings. I kept the spire.cfg file in the battlespire subfolder. Everything seems to run fine, but after my conversation with the scamps, they attacked me, and I foolishly started the game with a primary fighting skill in long blades, but with no weapon in my inventory, so I'll have to start over in character creation as I was handily killed. So far no performance issues, but I have an 8GB ram rig with a TB drive and a 3.3 GHz processor.

Update: Still working fine, and now getting the intro video, where I didn't before. Most likely because I never setup the CD-Rom drive correctly, or at least not the imaged file. Still being told I don't have enough memory for some reason.

Last edited:

mindx2

Patron

I had the same error, until I used Sordid MCA's configurations. I went to the Windows Start -> Programs -> DOSBox -> Options -> DOSBox Options and it opened up the Dosbox cfg file in Notepad. From there, I copied and pasted SMCA's suggested config and changed the last two mount lines for the C drive and D drive to reflect where I stored my own files.

Where he had this:

MOUNT C HD -freesize 300

I had this:

MOUNT C e:\dosbox -freesize 300
IMGMOUNT D e:\dosbox\batspire\cd\Battlespire.mdf -t iso

Also note that my battlespire iso file is a .mdf file and not a .cue file.

I also changed the spire.cfg file to his settings. I kept the spire.cfg file in the battlespire subfolder. Everything seems to run fine, but after my conversation with the scamps, they attacked me, and I foolishly started the game with a primary fighting skill in long blades, but with no weapon in my inventory, so I'll have to start over in character creation as I was handily killed. So far no performance issues, but I have an 8GB ram rig with a TB drive and a 3.3 GHz processor.

Update: Still working fine, and now getting the intro video, where I didn't before. Most likely because I never setup the CD-Rom drive correctly, or at least not the imaged file. Still being told I don't have enough memory for some reason.

Did all of that with the exception that I have the actual disk not an iso burned one. It still gives me the error and I don't get the intro video... :(. Several years ago (maybe more than several!) I had this running flawlessly but just can't get it going this time. I'll fool around with it later this week as I'm still playing AntharioN anyway.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
If you have the real disk, you'll likely want to drop the IMGMOUNT for a normal drive MOUNT. Perhaps something like

MOUNT D D:\ -t cdrom

but now I'm just guessing.

DramaticPopcorn

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom