Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dota 2 Discussion (~Boston Majors & Road to TI7~)

What modes should we play?

• Total voters

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Jacky L-Mao :lol:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Can someone explain me who only watched Dota 2 and did minor stuff what these videos are about? Academy, 2.5 mmr, and a 26 minute long apology or whatever it was about.

Some turd was charging people for "coaching" based on the fact that he was a fairly high ranking player (around 5.5k matchmaking rating or MMR), but in truth he wasn't a high ranking player at all, he bought "account-boosting" services i.e. he paid for someone else to play on his account and climb up the ranking ladder - it was actually a Russian player, playing on Russian servers, whereas the account had most of its games played on US East servers. This was made blatantly clear by a troll youtuber called ChiLongQua, and the original turd posted a thread on reddit apologizing but said he would still try to keep scamming people out of their money by keeping his shit "coaching" services up.

A fool and their money are easily parted, etc.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Can someone explain me who only watched Dota 2 and did minor stuff what these videos are about? Academy, 2.5 mmr, and a 26 minute long apology or whatever it was about.
I don't understand either and I am dota

Inspectah

Savant
That whole thing reminds me of CombatEX from the Starcraft comunity, he would pay people to loose to him to boost his stats/videos and then teach people how to be great in the game like he was

I don't even get the logic behind that, there's zero fun in playing above your skill bracket, if your team loses it's 100% your fault and you're always getting outplayed. Who would even want that?

Inspectah

Savant
I don't even get the logic behind that, there's zero fun in playing above your skill bracket, if your team loses it's 100% your fault and you're always getting outplayed. Who would even want that?
From that apology video, I got the impression the guy thought he deserved better, so in his mind, he WAS playing in the right skill bracket.
Probably most people that boost accounts think like that

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Yeah, there's a very widely spread misconception among retards out there that the only reason they are losing games and are unable to climb up in MMR is because their teammates are shit. So they pay people to boost their MMR (which in itself is already dumb, how would others be able to consistently win at high ratios when the teammates are shitty) or buy high MMR accounts, only to get dumpstered every single game. I myself have made money out of services like that, not in DotA but in other games (mainly WoW), if you're decent enough at it and have some kind of platform to promote your service, you can actually make a living.

The issue most people have with this practice is that every time a high MMR player boosts accounts, he ruins the game for 9 other people. Once he's reached his goal the trashplayer then also ruins every game for 9 other players until he drops down to whatever MMR level he actually plays at. All of this is called boosting though, coaching is an entirely different thing though which actually works (if done right).

Cromwell

Arcane

Theres a large population of players who think they are better than they actually are. They argument with thinks like elo hell, or hidden pool, which means they think they get punished with bad players and cant just win with such bad teammates. So they get their accs boosted, their ass handed to them afterwards and will still think its because of noob teammates.

Part of the problem is that theese people arent good enough at the game to see their own mistakes and improve upon them or at least acknowledge that they are at their limit, so they will look to their team for mistakes. But they will continue to do so in high mmr games and fail to see that they simply are a burden to the team because they cant see what better play actually looks like.

I remember HoN's version of Omniknight had a 100% damage Kunkka cleave aoe component to his aura that was hilariously broken. That and the much faster cast points for all of his spells in that game made for a super broken hero, so fun.

Inspectah

Savant
Back in my day you were lucky if no one put you in a banlist, or if no one kept leaving the game during the countdown

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom