Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Double Fine's MASSIVE CHALICE - Released... but nobody cares

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Trash Whisky http://www.edge-online.com/features/double-fines-next-kickstarter-game-is-massive-chalice/
Double Fine’s next Kickstarter game is Massive Chalice

Double Fine is seeking funding for a new tactical fantasy game called Massive Chalice through Kickstarter.

Studio veteran Brad Muir is the project lead, and will be heading up Kickstarter campaign. He is the creator of tower defence mech shooter Iron Brigade, and served as programmer on Psychonauts and a designer on Brütal Legend. He describes Massive Chalice as “A tactical fantasy game set on a thing we call the epic timeline,” he tells us. “So the players will be taking the role of this immortal king that’s defending this kingdom against an invading demon army, so you’re gonna have the game split into two halves.”

“You’ll have a strategic side where you’ll be managing the realm and making a bunch of decisions from an overhead map, and then there will be a tactical side, the other half of the game, where you’re manoeuvring around a bunch of heroes on this smaller-scale tactical map, fighting demons.”

“The big twist is the epic timeline – this battle against the demons is going to last hundreds of years, so as the king you’ll have to make some really hard decisions with your heroes because they’re going to age over time. And so when your speeding up that flow of time on the strategic map, kinda like in XCOM, the heroes will age and the event will be very spaced out – the demonic attacks will be spaced five or ten years apart.”

Muir cites XCOM, Final Fantasy Tactics and Fire Emblem as the main inspirations for the new game. The studio is aiming to release the game on PC, Mac and Linux – other platforms are not planned yet, but remain a possibility – “maybe down the line we’ll see how it goes,” said Muir when questioned.

There’s more detail on Double Fine’s Kickstarter page.

Last edited:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I wonder how this will go. Double Fine has released even less information about Broken Age, and it seems to have gotten a less enthusiastic response than InXile has with their vertical slice video (note: my perception is mainly based on the codex, and Toro is trolling hard in the DFA thread).

J1M

Arcane
If I had four million dollars I sure as fuck would have more to show than a few whiteboard sketches before sticking my hand out and begging for money again.

Also, their kickstart video was stupid.

Maiandros

Learned
Possibly Retarded
MASSIVE chalice

i can see that working, yeah

"conceived in Liverpool, developed in Manchester"
MASSIVE now innit brav

sorry. Just sounds..wrong

Say what you want guys, I think this is going to steamroll over their goal.

And the game sounds interesting to me. But I must say I haven't been following the progress of their first kickstarter game. Is it shit?

Stabwound

Arcane
Haha, oh wow. How about you actually release your first game so we can see if you're competent with our money before you launch a second one? Yeah, I realize inXile double dipped, but at least they showed a pretty convincing beta video. Broken Age has still shown virtually nothing that shows what kind of game it is or if it even exists or not.

Oh, and the kickstarter video is funny, but why is 90% of it a funny movie and the last 10% some dude talking about the game vaguely for 60 seconds?

The game concept sounds cool to me, kind of like a Disgaea/FF Tactics cross, and it's a cool twist on the SRPG formula. There really hasn't been any kickstarter focusing on the console SRPG niche yet and namedropping FFT and Fire Emblem like that means that this is probably going to get funded, which is actually pretty sad considering how much they're asking for and what little they tell you about the game.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The game sounds pretty cool with the whole bloodline idea.

Divinity: Original Sin
I've just finished watching the pledge video, and the number of backers triplicated from the time I started watching.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
"conceived in Liverpool, developed in Manchester"
MASSIVE now innit brav
I'd play that.

I have to say I share the general scepticism - there is not much to show from DFA/BA and what info there is does not exactly wow me, so starting another campaign, while probably necessary from business standpoint, does not fill me with a burning need to pledge. I guess Fargo is just a more successful door to door encyclopaedia salesman.

EDIT: And Tim should have been naked in the video, they ruined a nice setup.

Tigranes

Arcane
Worst name ever, not enough info, what info is there sounds cool. But you'd think they'd show a little more of Broken Age before.

Tigranes

Arcane
Infinitron "Massive" really doesn't go with "Chalice", and the assonance makes it exponentially worse. But you're right about the faux-Japanglese.

Branm

Learned
Ummm Massive Chalice.... their pitch video doesn't really tell me much actually its the worst pitch vid I have yet to see on kickstarter shit aint funny and you tell me jack shit about the game. Also I tried to find a tech demo of the engine but nothing recent came up. The Iron Brigade game certainly doesn't inspire any confidence....looks like shit actually all games made with that engine look liek shit.

Also noticed all the updates for the adventure game private....WTF is this shit. SHOW ME SOMETHING BEFORE YOU MOOCH FOR MONEY.

Also kind of bugs me that Double Fine never backed any other kickstarter projects. Also who the fuck is this Brad Muir dude? Some no name...

Meh they certainly are no inXile or Obsidian what makes them think they came come for another game when they have nothing to show, skip for now until they fix the pitch and show some substance.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
The game is structured into two main layers: strategy and tactics. In the strategy layer, you oversee your kingdom, arrange royal marriages, conduct research, and make the far-reaching decisions that will determine the fate of your legacy.
In the tactics layer, you fight brutal turn-based battles to defend your kingdom using small squads of customizable heroes.

Sounds like X-COM. I'm backing this shit.
:takemymoney:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
OMG another Double Fine kickstarter! These guys are the Gods, and if you faggots don't support them, you should kill yourself!
Take my money Tim Schafer! TAKE MY MONEY MASTER!!!!!
Let's see. Pledge 20 dollars.

>Sorry....but your bank account is....19 dollars....short.

NOOOOOOOO! I only have 1 dollar for you Tim right now, unless I don't want to starve. But I will get some more money before the end. Promise. Until then, take my pathetic 1 dollar. :(

Meh they certainly are no inXile or Obsidian what makes them think they came come for another game when they have nothing to show, skip for now until they fix the pitch and show some substance.
Meanwhile at Kickstarter:
Backers

$117,556
pledged of $725,000 goal

days to go

IN A FEW HOURS!

By the way, Double Fine have a track record of making good to stellar games. InXile have the track record of making shity games, even if they showed more from Wasteland 2 than Double Fine did from Broken Age.

Tigranes

Arcane
A chalice is just an inverted phallus, from which blood-red wine overflows heartily.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom